Crunk Music in the church?

I'm reading an article about these Atlanta gospel rappers that are trying to bring crunk music into the church. ( Imagine Lil Jon saying " Jeeeeeeeeeeeeeeesus!" instead of " Uhhhhhyeahhhhhhhhhhh!" and you get the idea) It seems that Gospel music has 'sprouted' many variations of diversity. You name it, Gospel music has it.
-Jazz
-Neo Soul
-spoken poetry
-Rap
-Heavy Metal
... and now Crunk music? Where is the line drawn ? Is there a line at all? Surely there has to be more to worship music than taking a musical style and sprinkling the name "Jesus" and " Believer" throughout. I admit that I enjoy contemporary gospel music but lately it's been a guilty pleasure because I know deep down that although there is a positive message behind the song, it's the beat thats has alot to do with it. So Choir lead music is really whats in the disc changer these days.

My question is.. where is the line for you or is it much adu about nothing?

Last edited:

PaperClip

I firmly believe that the Gospel of Jesus Christ does not have to be so soaked in pop culture (almost beyond recognition) to appeal to the youth.

pebbles

RelaxerRehab said:
I firmly believe that the Gospel of Jesus Christ does not have to be so soaked in pop culture (almost beyond recognition) to appeal to the youth.

I agree with you. :)

Shimmie

"God is the Only Truth -- Period"
Staff member
BlkManWithSomeSense said:
I'm reading an article about these Atlanta gospel rappers that are trying to bring crunk music into the church. ( Imagine Lil Jon saying " Jeeeeeeeeeeeeeeesus!" instead of " Uhhhhhyeahhhhhhhhhhh!" and you get the idea) It seems that Gospel music has 'sprouted' many variations of diversity. You name it, Gospel music has it.
-Jazz
-Neo Soul
-spoken poetry
-Rap
-Heavy Metal
... and now Crunk music? Where is the line drawn ? Is there a line at all? Surely there has to be more to worship music than taking a musical style and sprinkling the name "Jesus" and " Believer" throughout. I admit that I enjoy contemporary gospel music but lately it's been a guilty pleasure because I know deep down that although there is a positive message behind the song, it's the beat thats has alot to do with it. So Choir lead music is really whats in the disc changer these days.

My question is.. where is the line for you or is it much adu about nothing?

There has to be a line drawn...and not just 'somewhere', but period; a straight cut.

In my observations the 'spirit' behind the music is not always lead of the Holy Spirit. Given, there are some who can 'jazz' up a song; yet still you know it's worship; and they are still flowing in the Spirit of the Lord (Yolanda Adams - CeCe Winans). Then there are others that are not; they are truly in their 'flesh' and they have not dropped the spirit of the 'world' to give Honor to God. They're 'clubbing' in the Altar which to me is offensive and dishonorable to pure worship.

When I'm in worship in Church or even at home, I don't need a distraction in rhythm. Personally, I'm especially mindful /careful of this because the rhythm of any music 'attracts' a response in my spirit that I will just naturally move with as soon as I hear it. As a dancer I know this first hand. Just being 'Black' brings a response to rhythm; it's in 'us' naturally.

While I don't know what 'Crunk Music' is, I'm sure it's one music genre that does not belong in a worship service. It 'appears' as a 'harsh rhythm'.

The Church needs to come off of the wagon of compromise and stop using the excuses of 'drawing' in the crowds, using their music to make them come and stay in the Church. Ummmm, could this be the reason for so much going on in the Church...just letting anything come and go on?

Whatever happen to 'change' of one's heart and their ways? Leaving those things behind and pressing forward in Jesus? If I truly love God, I won't need to 'crunk' my way into His presence. Loving someone just naturally brings and keeps you there, no matter what you have to leave behind. So, it should be in worship. ;)

Last edited:

PretteePlease

#fakeworkouts
many would consider the gospel music of today just as radical as crunk music
compare the way the music in them dusty hardly picked up or played as written hymnals to a kirk franklin or yolanda adams etc

remember everyone is not from the same flock, that being said i'm not in the recruit them by any means necessary group either thats how we got pagan laden holidays like christmas and easter

Radianthealth

Crunk music is bad enough outside the church!!!! Yuck, please don't tell me they are trying to bring this trash into God's house...well to each his own I guess:perplexed :(

live2bgr8

msportugal said:
compare the way the music in them dusty hardly picked up or played as written hymnals to a kirk franklin or yolanda adams etc

remember everyone is not from the same flock, that being said i'm not in the recruit them by any means necessary group either thats how we got pagan laden holidays like christmas and easter

ITA-- It is important for mature believers to discern between the flesh and the Spirit. My barometer? "Is the music drawing me nearer to God?" or "Is it just a shake my money maker song?" If it's the latter-- I try to say away from it...

That said, I like to rock the Cross Movement (my favorite hip hop artists) or Christafari... (reggae) in my car from time to time. However I also rock, CeCe... Yolanda... Virtue... Israel Haughton (sp?)... Fred Hammond... Third Day... 4Him... Avalon... Jeremy Camp... Maranatha! Music...

Can you believe there was a time when Maranatha! was looked down upon by "believers"??? :eek: The Jesus Movement was totally radical way of looking at God... People started sayin' "you can have a relationship with the Creator of the Universe because his Son Jesus came down and made a way"... Totally UNHEARD of...

B4 this movent the western church had gotten bogged down in the religious rituals that made them look pious... However the heart was not there...

Now almost e'ry mega and mini church rocks at least one of their songs during worship service... Where would I be without "Jesus Draw Me Close" or "Let it Rise" :perplexed

I think God could use a crunk artist to speak His truth... He moved a donkey to speak by His Holy Spirit didn't He?

Last edited:

kbragg

kelouis75 said:
I think God could use a crunk artist to speak His truth... He moved a donkey to speak by His Holy Spirit didn't He?

Crunk music is demeaning to women, sexually perverse, and has NOTHING to do with God, I don't care how you change the words:mad: He used a Donkey, but the donkey wasn't freak dancing either now was he. Oh I can see it now, women already come to church looking like they're just stoping in on their way to the club, next will be praise singers "droppin' it like it's hot" but it's ok 'cause they're "dancin' fo' Jesus" oh Lord Jesus Help Us!:eek:

StrawberryQueen

msportugal said:

I agree with this. Crunk music as gospel music is simply refering to the beat of the music.

It can't be degrading to women if it's about the Lord, correct?

michc

Crunk music is demeaning to women, sexually perverse, and has NOTHING to do with God, I don't care how you change the words He used a Donkey, but the donkey wasn't freak dancing either now was he. Oh I can see it now, women already come to church looking like they're just stoping in on their way to the club, next will be praise singers "droppin' it like it's hot" but it's ok 'cause they're "dancin' fo' Jesus" oh Lord Jesus Help Us!

What she said!

ETA: Correct spelling mistake

Last edited:

PaperClip

StrawberryQueen said:
I agree with this. Crunk music as gospel music is simply refering to the beat of the music.

It can't be degrading to women if it's about the Lord, correct?

This raises a point for us to consider EXACTLY what we're talking about in terms of genre of music, style of music, vs. content of the music/song.

for example, on Circuit City's website, there are several genres of music to choose from, including:
blues
classical
country
folk
gospel
jazz
latin
r&b
rap
rock

I can entertain the notion that a song with a gospel message can come through these genres: a gospel song with a

blues--those durn quartets! :lol:
classical--Richard Smallwood
country--those durn quartets again or Carrie Underwood's "Jesus Take the Wheel"
folk--contemporary Christian (?)
gospel--a given; the list is endless
jazz--Ben Tankard, Yolanda Adams, Dorinda Clark Cole
latin--Israel and New Breed, Joann Rosario
r&b--Karen Clark Sheard, Kirk, etc.
rap--Cross Movement, etc.

Now with that said, I think we get the term "genre" confused with the term "style". A style of music might be:

adult alternative
adult alternative pop/rock
album rock
alternative dance
alternative folk
alternative pop/rock
ambient techno
american popular song
american trad rock
asian folk
bava
bel canto opera
bikutsi
bluebeat

british invasion
british metal
bulgarian folk
carols
celtic gospel
celtic new age

ceremonial
changui
childrens stories

chinese folk
christmas
club/dance
compas
contemporary country

contemporary native american
country-rock

cowpunk
creole
dance-pop
deep funk revival
documentary
downtempo
drama
educational
electronica
fight songs
film music
finnish folk
general rock
glitch
goth rock
gregorian chant
hard rock

heavy metal
hebrew
holiday
house
impressionist
instrumental gospel

jazz-house
jibaro
juju

latin freestyle
mbira

merengue
mexican folk
microsound
microtonal
modern delta blues
morning radio
motown
musicals
mystical minimalism
neo-romantic
new age tone poems

newbeat
norwegian folk

onda grupera
plena
pop/rock
prog-rock/art rock
pygmy
reggae gospel
renaissance
rock & roll
sacred vocal
scandinavian folk
sing-along
smooth jazz
soft rock
soundtracks
sports anthems
st. louis blues
surf revival
swamp pop
swedish folk
swedish pop/rock
techno bass
techno-dub
township jazz
traditional chinese
traditional european folk
video game music
wedding music
work songs
worldbeat

I don't think a genre of music develops overnight. Hip-hop music, although what, going on about 30 years old now, is still quite new, but it is emerging as a genre of music vs. a style. I think with hip hop and crunk, there's still such a worldly aspect to it and the fact that a gospel artist has not yet successfully made a song that has been good enough to crossover into gospel, crunk, in its present state, has not gotten enough spiritual and natural credibility to belong/fit in the church just yet.

msportugal said:

remember everyone is not from the same flock, that being said I'm not in the recruit them by any means necessary group either thats how we got pagan laden holidays like christmas and easter

Thanks to everyone for your replies.

Theres a HUGE grey area on this. I feel theres a discipline and lifestyle change when you walk in Christ. I don't see where the personal sacrifice is when everything thats offered worldly is offered in the church. Theres no change over other than a personal declaration that "I'm saved".

I've heard the comparisons that Thomas Dorsey was the Kirk franklin of his time. However, Mr Dorsey's music maintained a respect of his faith ( e.g Oh happy Day... and Precious Lord). Some things go too far. How does one justify crunk dancing when crunk dancing came from the streets? It's suddenly cleaned up and acceptable because religious overtones are replaced with the sexual salaciousness? I thought the Ministry leads the way, not conform itself to worldly influences. The good intentions are noble but worship and praise deserves better respect.

If it's that easy then anything can be done as long as you do it in Jesus name and thats scary. I hear so much about personal freedom these days but very little about personal discretion and responsibility behind these decisions. There is just so much being taken advantage of these grey areas in our life. Again, more attention being placed on what God doesn't say rather than what he does. I think as Christians that although we must maintain an open heart, we should watch the wolves in sheep's clothing but if we are so caught up in relativities then the pool becomes further diluted.

Last edited:

live2bgr8

kbragg said:
Crunk music is demeaning to women, sexually perverse, and has NOTHING to do with God, I don't care how you change the words:mad: He used a Donkey, but the donkey wasn't freak dancing either now was he. Oh I can see it now, women already come to church looking like they're just stoping in on their way to the club, next will be praise singers "droppin' it like it's hot" but it's ok 'cause they're "dancin' fo' Jesus" oh Lord Jesus Help Us!:eek:

I don't know much about crunk... Maybe I'm too old... LOL... but the same was said about hip hop... and jazz... dancehall... Mozart was a rabble rouser... However, God has flipped the script and used those types of music for His glory... Why not crunk???

I have a radical idea for you... Jesus was the main one hanging out with untouchables... Prositutes, even:eek: ... I don't think judging a BEAT of music nor the culture it comes from is the right thing to do... The words/lyrics/arrangement ultimately convey the spirit behind it...

Without Jesus leading the way we all would be heathens... :eek: ;)

PaperClip

kelouis75 said:
I don't know much about crunk... Maybe I'm too old... LOL... but the same was said about hip hop... and jazz... dancehall... Mozart was a rabble rouser... However, God has flipped the script and used those types of music for His glory... Why not crunk???

I have a radical idea for you... Jesus was the main one hanging out with untouchables... Prositutes, even:eek: ... I don't think judging a BEAT of music nor the culture it comes from is the right thing to do... The words/lyrics/arrangement ultimately convey the spirit behind it...

I don't know if it's that "God flipped the script". God just gravitates to where He's being glorified. And it's easy to tell if a piece of music was composed out of a place of holiness vs. a place of hell/seducing spirits. When I saw the movie "Hustle and Flow" and saw how they came up with that music, you could sense the hypnotism in, even before dude uttered the words "whoop dat trick".

Yes, Mozart's music was considered radical, unconventional in his day (P.S., I really liked the movie "Amadeus"!), but it doesn't make all of his music any more holy. Handel's Messiah was about the Messiah, thaty's why it's anointed.

live2bgr8

Theres a HUGE grey area on this. I feel theres a discipline and lifestyle change when you walk in Christ. I dont see where the personal sacrifice is when everything thats offered worldly is offered in the church. Theres no change over other than a personal declaration that "I'm saved".

I've heard the comparions that Thomas Dorsey was the Kirk franklin of his time. However, Mr Dorsey's music maintained a respect of his faith ( e.g Oh happy Day... and Precious Lord). Some things go too far. How does one justify crunk dancing when crunk dancing came from the streets? It's suddenly cleaned up and acceptable because religious overtones are replaced with the sexual salaciousness? I thought the Ministry leads the way, not conform itself to worldly influences. The good intentions are noble but wowrship and praise deserves better respect.

If it's that easy then anything can be done as long as you do it in Jesus's name and thats scary. I hear so much about personal freedom these days but very little about personal discretion and responsibility behind these decisions.

I hear you... but I don't think these artists are using Crunk to reach churched folks... That's probably why I know very little about it and still use terms like "shakin' a money maker" :lol:...

However, hip hop artists like Cross Movement help open my ears to appreciate Maranatha! Music...

If Jesus is really in it, I think he could heal wounded, broken hearts with it...

live2bgr8

RelaxerRehab said:
I don't know if it's that "God flipped the script". God just gravitates to where He's being glorified. And it's easy to tell if a piece of music was composed out of a place of holiness vs. a place of hell/seducing spirits. When I saw the movie "Hustle and Flow" and saw how they came up with that music, you could sense the hypnotism in, even before dude uttered the words "whoop dat trick".

Yes, Mozart's music was considered radical, unconventional in his day (P.S., I really liked the movie "Amadeus"!), but it doesn't make all of his music any more holy. Handel's Messiah was about the Messiah, thaty's why it's anointed.

Very true... I don't listen to every artist claiming to be a Christian... That's why I said it's important for mature believers to be able to discern spirits...

BTW.. I missed Hustle and Flow for much of the same reasons I don't listen to all types of music...

I think it's important to guard your heart in every aspect... IMHO, what come through my eyes is every bit as dangerous as what comes through my ears.

However, crunk music as a ministry to non-believers... Don't see anything wrong with it... If God's really in it, He'll win the souls, and radically change lives for His glory...

We'll know a tree by it's fruit, right?

Last edited:

PaperClip

kelouis75 said:
Very true... I don't listen to every artist claiming to be a Christian... That's why I said it's important for mature believers to be able to discern spirits...

BTW.. I missed Hustle and Flow for much of the same reasons I don't listen to all types of music...

I think it's important to guard your heart in every aspect... IMHO, what come through my eyes is every bit as dangerous as what comes through my ears.

However, crunk music as a ministry to non-believers... Don't see anything wrong with it... If God's really in it, He'll win the souls, and radically change lives for His glory...

We'll know a tree by it's fruit, right?

That's the Word!;)

kbragg

kelouis75 said:

Have you ever heard of 'Lil Jon?:perplexed The music was created out of lust dedicated to strippers, oral & anal sex, drug trafficking, cursing, glrified pimps...ugh. Most of the other "genres" or what not didn't start that way. It was NOT inspired by God. Ok, have you ever heard the song "Baby Got Back?" Ok, now throw Jesus and Holy in there a couple of times. Is that CHRISTIAN???? Whatever happened to COME OUT FROM AMONG THEM AND BE YE SEPARATE? Or how about "....such WERE some of you." If there's no real difference and people can't tell who's saved from unsaved, there's a BIG problem. Certain types of music provoke the body to move in a provacative way (Think "Silk" or "Jodeci"). I don't think it'll help our brothers in Christ out if we have women up in there booty bouncin' and snake-ing their waists to "Crunk Gospel" causeing them to lust.:( It's church NOT the club PERIOD! You know I've flipped through stations before and had to listen to a song for a while before I heard "Jesus?" and most songs don't even have that. No more real message, just like the world. I agree with BMWSS, we have an issue here. Next thing you know they'll have a wet bar at the communion table with the "Drink Ministry" serving margaritias, but it's cool cause it's in the name of Jesus and since they have Jesus written on the glass, someone will get saved....:ohwell:

live2bgr8

kbragg said:
Have you ever heard of 'Lil Jon?:perplexed The music was created out of lust dedicated to strippers, oral & anal sex, drug trafficking, cursing, glrified pimps...ugh. Most of the other "genres" or what not didn't start that way. It was NOT inspired by God. Ok, have you ever heard the song "Baby Got Back?" Ok, now throw Jesus and Holy in there a couple of times. Is that CHRISTIAN???? Whatever happened to COME OUT FROM AMONG THEM AND BE YE SEPARATE? Or how about "....such WERE some of you." If there's no real difference and people can't tell who's saved from unsaved, there's a BIG problem. Certain types of music provoke the body to move in a provacative way (Think "Silk" or "Jodeci"). I don't think it'll help our brothers in Christ out if we have women up in there booty bouncin' and snake-ing their waists to "Crunk Gospel" causeing them to lust.:( It's church NOT the club PERIOD! You know I've flipped through stations before and had to listen to a song for a while before I heard "Jesus?" and most songs don't even have that. No more real message, just like the world. I agree with BMWSS, we have an issue here. Next thing you know they'll have a wet bar at the communion table with the "Drink Ministry" serving margaritias, but it's cool cause it's in the name of Jesus and since they have Jesus written on the glass, someone will get saved....:ohwell:

Okay I think I see where our miscommunication lies... I think you're seeing "church" as a building where people go to hear about God... I'm seeing "church" as the Body of Christ... without walls...

Nope.. Haven't heard of Li'l Jon. Guess I've separated myself too much... :lol: But God can change him too...

Dear Precious Lord, Right now, I lift up li'l Jon and his music to you... I pray that you will turn what the devil had meant for evil and use it for your good... I pray Lord that you will open his heart to see that you have a plan for his life... yes, even his... We know that all things are possible with you. In Jesus mighty name I pray, AMEN!

I hope you will stand in agreement with me for this young man's soul... Who knows.... maybe he'll be the first crunk Billy Graham...

Last edited:

StrawberryQueen

kbragg said:

What you're talking about seems more like people not being able to control themselves.

Like I said, people can be moved to do ridiculous things from any type of music.

People can listen to hip hop and not get down and compromise their morals...and someone can listen to country music and lose their minds.

I'm not defending hip hop here, I'm just not really understanding the big deal.

Every few years when gospel evolves people have a fit because the music isn't fitting in with their interpretation of what Christian music should sound like.

I mean people still say Kirk Franklin goes too far. :perplexed I really don't think that based on the beat of a song we can determine whether or not if it's "of the Lord." Isn't that how we divide ourselves as Christians? By determining what is and what is appropriate for all? What if crunk music brings people closer to Jesus? Is it still wrong? Is it better for us to liek slow flowy gospel music? I mean there's a whole lot of Christians out there who refuse to dance AT ALL because it "isn't of the Lord."

Others like to literally get up make some loud joyful noises. And jump over pews and snatch off wigs, etc. :lol:

So aside from it's origins, what's the problem? I mean if that's the case, look at all of the things that have been adopted into Christianity and turned into a positive, that were not of original Christian origins?

Can someone give an example of these crunk gospel songs? Based on what's being said, I'm thinking along the lines of Kiki Sheard? Have a listen: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tnG090B68cY I mean this song is great and has an excellent message with a nice beat and great rhythm. :yep:

I still say it's in the lyrics.

Last edited:

PaperClip

StrawberryQueen said:
So now with regard to crunk music, are we talking about the beat of the song? It's obvious that Christian crunk music wouldn't have the same lyrics as regular crunk music, hence it being gospel music.

Is the beat of a song that serious? Or the rhythm? Because that can be said for all songs. Classical music can take you to a bad place just as fast as hip hop.

So aside from it's origins, what's the problem? I mean if that's the case, look at all of the things that have been adopted into Christianity and turned into a positive, that were not of original Christian origins?

Can someone give an example of these crunk gospel songs? Based on what's being said, I'm thinking along the lines of Kiki Sheard? Have a listen: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tnG090B68cY I mean this song is great and has an excellent message with a nice beat and great rhythm. :yep:

Kiki music style fits more in the contemporary gospel genre with a hip-hop influence. I don't think "crunk" has evolved enough to consider it a style or genre yet. And, more importantly, it appears that its origins have evolved from possibly some ungodly roots. It's the same argument as hip-hop, but hip hop has become more acceptable in the church for some of the reasons that have been posted by others in this thread. It is partly because of the loosening of standards that the church used to have, justifying the loosening by saying that the church needs a way to reach the youth. I'm a firm believer that the Gospel of Jesus Christ doesn't need help from the world to draw in believers, young, old, or otherwise.

StrawberryQueen

RelaxerRehab said:
Kiki music style fits more in the contemporary gospel genre with a hip-hop influence. I don't think "crunk" has evolved enough to consider it a style or genre yet. And, more importantly, it appears that its origins have evolved from possibly some ungodly roots. It's the same argument as hip-hop, but hip hop has become more acceptable in the church for some of the reasons that have been posted by others in this thread. It is partly because of the loosening of standards that the church used to have, justifying the loosening by saying that the church needs a way to reach the youth. I'm a firm believer that the Gospel of Jesus Christ doesn't need help from the world to draw in believers, young, old, or otherwise.

Well I disagree with you here, but okie dokie! :look:

I've also never heard this so called crunk church music, maybe if I heard some I'd be more inclined to make a stronger decisions.

RelaxerRehab said:

I'm in complete agreeance. I personally dont see people complain about the violation of standards unless it's something really overt and outlandish. It just seems that anything can be justified as long as you slap on the name 'Jesus' to it.

I like Kirk Franklin, Tonex, Cece Winans and other such contemporary gospel artists. However, when you focus on some of their music that REALLY touched you, inspired you, and moved you to worship, was it the R & B club like songs or the ones that resembled songs heard in church. (with choir accompaniment and such).

Honestly folks when people were shaking their butt from Mary Mary's 'Shackles', was it because of it's positive message or the great beat it had?

Last edited:

kbragg

RelaxerRehab said:
Kiki music style fits more in the contemporary gospel genre with a hip-hop influence. I don't think "crunk" has evolved enough to consider it a style or genre yet. And, more importantly, it appears that its origins have evolved from possibly some ungodly roots. It's the same argument as hip-hop, but hip hop has become more acceptable in the church for some of the reasons that have been posted by others in this thread. It is partly because of the loosening of standards that the church used to have, justifying the loosening by saying that the church needs a way to reach the youth. I'm a firm believer that the Gospel of Jesus Christ doesn't need help from the world to draw in believers, young, old, or otherwise.[/quote]

AMEN!!!!!:clapping: :clapping: :clapping:

If you really dig in and READ the Word, it's obvious. Yes God can use crunk, He can use anything He wants. Will He? Doubt it. Through out the Word the Spirit opperates opposite the flesh. I think the church has got too much into "competing with the world, so much so that they water down the Gospel message to fill pews. This is why we have a HUGE influx of false converts. 80% of people who "accept" Christ, lose their faith because they're coming to Him for the wrong reasons. There's a saying that goes, what ever you use to draw them in, that's what they'll stay for.

Don't get me wrong, I love music, but there needs to be a line draw by how much the Church conforms to the world. Chirst as in Body Of Chist or an Assembly, either or will suffice. Sometimes I listen to the Gospel stations online and there's a song Called "Your Best Is Yet to Come." Well it's an emotional song and I do Like Martha Munzini BUT you hear no mention of God, Jesus, the Blood, Repentance. Why? This is obviously NOT a popular message, Jesus said so Himself. Preaching the cross is offensive to them. But it needs to be preached, in our music, in our speech, and especially from our pulpits.

Look at some of the "Old, Boring" Gospel songs. Now listen to the newer ones. With the exception of Kirk Franklin, there's not much message in them, just a bunch of vocal gymnatics. 4 Verse songs are about non-exsistant today in Gospel, EXACTLY like the world. Makes ya think. Some churches don't even have Hymnals. I'm not saying there's no place for contemporary Gospel. It's good "entertainment" no question. But when did the church decide it was better to entertain people, than get them saved by preaching, singing, teaching the TRUE gospel???

Now before I get flamed, yes I know some forms of Gospel came from worldly origins, but my question is, what was the initial purpose of that music? Rap wasn't originally about pimpin, drugs, and sexual promiscuity. CRUNK is. (Personally I don't like Gospel Rap because no offensive to the artists, but some times I get scared that their about to cuss in some of the songs!:lol: That's how much like the world it sounds). The Bible is clear, it's the PREACHING of the cross that gets people saved. Not a song, not a dance, not a prosperity message. I used to go to the Potter's House here locally. I got emotional from the music, I was entertained, but I wasn't saved. Not once did I hear preached repent of your sins. Not in the songs. Nothing. Unfortunately this is the state of or current society. Plenty of pew warmers, not enough Christians. Bringing the world into the Church/Body of Christ is the cause of this. I bet you if half these preachers whipped out a hymnal and started singing songs about the cross, preached repentance, told people they need to die to themselves nd not give into their fleshly desires, they'd lose most of their congregations. The musicians would lose much of their fans....which is why they don't. So sad it's become about being popular and not about getting folks saved.:(
Romans 12

1I beseech you therefore, brethren, by the mercies of God, that ye present your bodies a living sacrifice, holy, acceptable unto God, which is your reasonable service.

2And be not conformed to this world: but be ye transformed by the renewing of your mind, that ye may prove what is that good, and acceptable, and perfect, will of God.

3For I say, through the grace given unto me, to every man that is among you, not to think of himself more highly than he ought to think; but to think soberly, according as God hath dealt to every man the measure of faith.

4For as we have many members in one body, and all members have not the same office:

5So we, being many, are one body in Christ, and every one members one of another.

6Having then gifts differing according to the grace that is given to us, whether prophecy, let us prophesy according to the proportion of faith;

7Or ministry, let us wait on our ministering: or he that teacheth, on teaching;

8Or he that exhorteth, on exhortation: he that giveth, let him do it with simplicity; he that ruleth, with diligence; he that sheweth mercy, with cheerfulness.

9Let love be without dissimulation. Abhor that which is evil; cleave to that which is good.

10Be kindly affectioned one to another with brotherly love; in honour preferring one another;

11Not slothful in business; fervent in spirit; serving the Lord;

12Rejoicing in hope; patient in tribulation; continuing instant in prayer;

13Distributing to the necessity of saints; given to hospitality.

14Bless them which persecute you: bless, and curse not.

15Rejoice with them that do rejoice, and weep with them that weep.

16Be of the same mind one toward another. Mind not high things, but condescend to men of low estate. Be not wise in your own conceits.

17Recompense to no man evil for evil. Provide things honest in the sight of all men.

18If it be possible, as much as lieth in you, live peaceably with all men.

19Dearly beloved, avenge not yourselves, but rather give place unto wrath: for it is written, Vengeance is mine; I will repay, saith the Lord.

20Therefore if thine enemy hunger, feed him; if he thirst, give him drink: for in so doing thou shalt heap coals of fire on his head.
21Be not overcome of evil, but overcome evil with good.

live2bgr8

I really don't like to use Scripture to "battle" other Christians... It's unproductive and divisive. However, please do not assume that I'm not digging into Scripture... There are plenty of Scriptures that counter what you're saying, one being:

19 Though I am free and belong to no man, I make myself a slave to everyone, to win as many as possible. 20 To the Jews I became like a Jew, to win the Jews. To those under the law I became like one under the law (though I myself am not under the law), so as to win those under the law. 21 To those not having the law I became like one not having the law (though I am not free from God's law but am under Christ's law), so as to win those not having the law. 22 To the weak I became weak, to win the weak. I have become all things to all men so that by all possible means I might save some. 23 I do all this for the sake of the gospel, that I may share in its blessings. (1 Corinthians 9:19-23)

I note a touch of pride when believers say "I don't think God would use XYZ to share the Gospel" This the type of attitude made a lot of Pharisaical Jews-- yep I said it, Pharisees-- miss the full glory of the Christ. A Christ who came as a baby in a feed box-- because that is what a manger is. A Christ who came for the broken... A Christ who walked among the untouchables of "good/ upstanding" society... A Christ who died a horrifying, demeaning and cruel death...

Yet in all this He rose again, and they STILL missed it!

Yes, there are wheat and weeds in the Church. (See Matthew 13:25-30) God told us from the beginning there would be... There is a fine line between discerning spirits and judging the packages in which they come.

IMHO, Our job as believers is to make sure that our own walk is right with God. We must "remove the logs from our own eyes first, before worrying about the speck in another person's eye". (paraphrase of Mathew 7:3-5)

First we must love Him, then we must love the sinners around us... Please note that I did NOT SAY love the sin.

We can and should share the Gospel message with others, using the talents God has given us... But only God can change the heart if it is receptive.

I understand that it seems like the Gospel message is getting lost in some music styles... (ie the Blood, the sacrifice, the very mention of the name Jesus has become taboo)--

However, it's upon each individual to seek God to the fullest... to move from the milk and progress to the meat... Only God can move your heart as you are willing to grow...

That's why a mature believer will probably listen to the older hymns and Gospel music rather than the very latest, cutting edge styles of music. But we must also realize God did not die in the 1800 when Blessed Assurance and Rock of Ages (two of my personal favorites) were composed.

He is still very much alive and living, and he is still using humble, broken and willing hearts to reach the lost.

I shared in another post on another thread that God knows the heart of each man/woman. At His judgment seat, He will judge fairly and justly... He will sift wheat from weeds. Some people are going to be really shocked on that day.

KBragg, RelaxerRehab, BMWSS and others-- I'm sorry but I can't agree with your perspective of this issue. If the music is not causing someone to sin AND if it's drawing people closer to God, I see nothing wrong with it. I will leave it here...

I will however continue to pray for these crunk people... Some of them are going to listen to it anyway, but I believe God can go where we can't... Can we respectfully agree to disagree? [/B][/B][/B]

Last edited:
kelouis75 said:
I really don't like to use Scripture to "battle" other Christians... It's unproductive and divisive. However, please do not assume that I'm not digging into Scripture... There are plenty of Scriptures that counter what you're saying, one being:

19 Though I am free and belong to no man, I make myself a slave to everyone, to win as many as possible. 20 To the Jews I became like a Jew, to win the Jews. To those under the law I became like one under the law (though I myself am not under the law), so as to win those under the law. 21 To those not having the law I became like one not having the law (though I am not free from God's law but am under Christ's law), so as to win those not having the law. 22 To the weak I became weak, to win the weak. I have become all things to all men so that by all possible means I might save some. 23 I do all this for the sake of the gospel, that I may share in its blessings. (1 Corinthians 9:19-23)

I note a touch of pride when believers say "I don't think God would use XYZ to share the Gospel" This the type of attitude made a lot of Pharisaical Jews-- yep I said it, Pharisees-- miss the full glory of the Christ. A Christ who came as a baby in a feed box-- because that is what a manger is. A Christ who came for the broken... A Christ who walked among the untouchables of "good/ upstanding" society... A Christ who died a horrifying, demeaning and cruel death...

Yes, there are wheat and weeds in the Church. (See Matthew 13:25-30) God told us from the beginning there would be... There is a fine line between discerning spirits and judging the packages in which they come.

IMHO, Our job as believers is to make sure that our own walk is right with God. We must "remove the logs from our own eyes first, before worrying about the speck in another person's eye". (paraphrase of Mathew 7:3-5)

First we must love Him, then we must love the sinners around us... Please note that I did NOT SAY love the sin.

We can and should share the Gospel message with others, using the talents God has given us... But only God can change the heart if it is receptive.

I understand that it seems like the Gospel message is getting lost in some music styles... (ie the Blood, the sacrifice, the very mention of the name Jesus has become taboo)--

However, it's upon each individual to seek God to the fullest... to move from the milk and progress to the meat... Only God can move your heart as you are willing to grow...

That's why a mature believer will probably listen to the older hymns and Gospel music rather than the very latest, cutting edge styles of music. But we must also realize God did not die in the 1800 when Blessed Assurance and Rock of Ages (two of my personal favorites) were composed.

He is still very much alive and living, and he is still using humble, broken and willing hearts to reach the lost.

I shared in another post on another thread that God knows the heart of each man/woman. At His judgment seat, He will judge fairly and justly... He will sift wheat from weeds. Some people are going to be really shocked on that day.

KBragg, RelaxerRehab, BMWSS and others-- I'm sorry but I can't agree with your perspective of this issue. If the music is not causing someone to sin AND if it's drawing people closer to God, I see nothing wrong with it. I will leave it here...

I will however continue to pray for these crunk people... Some of them are going to listen to it anyway, but I believe God can go where we can't... Can we respectfully agree to disagree?

Of course we can agree to disagree.

We're going to have to because what you said in your last statement is too loose for me. Again, things seem to go back to the 'everybody worry only about themselves ' opinion. I asked a few of my younger cousins about this topic and they were excited about the prospect. They said that church music had been getting boring and could use a fresher perspective. I laughed and said ' I'm sorry I didnt know God needed a PR makeover'.

Is it any wonder why so many of us are no longer as like minded as we once were? It just seems that the only thing we can agree upon is the existance of God and the bible. Anything after that is a matter of interpretation. The truth of the matter is there is no right and wrong answer BUT if anything I would ask that we keep one eye on the direction of the ministry. The actions are noble but there are moments when the road to hell is paved with good intentions.

PaperClip

kelouis75 said:

I will however continue to pray for these crunk people... Some of them are going to listen to it anyway, but I believe God can go where we can't... Can we respectfully agree to disagree? [/b][/b][/b]

Hi, kelouis75:

First of all, debate can be VERY HEALTHY!!!! It brings out issues and disagreements to get to the place of UNDERSTANDING. So even if I don't agree with you, at least I understand you. So debate is good. Let's not even call it a debate. Let's call it "a robust conversation"!:)

I just want to make two quick points:

1: I saw in another post of yours about the issue of pride of some saints with regard to God's methods of soul-winning. Let me be very clear that yes, in God's SOVEREIGNTY, God can use anything, anywhere, anytime, any place to make His presence and His message known. However, let us consider His interactions during His earthly walk. He interacted with saints and sinners. The godly and the ungodly. He interacted with everyone, but He did NOT COMPROMISE Himself, His faith, and certainly not His behavior. God didn't ask any of the sinners to help Him preach, teach, baptize, etc. The people that assisted Jesus had ACTUALLY CONFESSED Jesus as Lord before they could follow Him and minister.

How can two walk together except they be agreed? (Amos 3:3) And this takes me to my second point.

2: You quoted I Corinthians 9 with regard to being a slave to all men and becoming all things to all men. I hear you and follow you on that point. But let's consider the entire context of Paul's speaking, particularly in verse 21: "To those not having the law I became like one not having the law (though I am not free from God's law but am under Christ's law), so as to win those not having the law." This point is basically a DISCLAIMER to follow what's coming next. As Paul was going to become weak, He couldn't get SO WEAK that he began to COMPROMISE and fall into some sinful ways. He even says He became LIKE ONE not having the law: someone who has NO AWARENESS or APPRECIATION for salvation and sanctification, so that there could be some understanding, relatability...and most importantly, COMPASSION.

So, as I said in my first point, God can use anything, but the only thing He NEEDS from us to win souls is our bodies, souls, minds, hearts, and spirit WILLINGLY SUBMITTED TO HIM. The Gospel doesn't need to be soaked beyond recognition to win souls. The Gospel can stand ON ITS OWN.

Last edited:

kbragg

kelouis75 said:

I will however continue to pray for these crunk people... Some of them are going to listen to it anyway, but I believe God can go where we can't... Can we respectfully agree to disagree? [/b][/b][/b]

I certainly was not using scripture to "battle" and neither was BMWSS or RR so I'm not sure where that idea came from but none the less I certainly agree to disagree. Jesus said narrow is the gate and straight is the path and few there be that find it. So I'll stay seeking the straight and narrow, versus the path to Hell which is lined with compromise. I've never been one to straddle the fence and this "new brand" of "Christianity is not me. I don't get down with lukewarmness.

live2bgr8

See... that's the thing, I never said compromise the message. EVER... I even said we need to pray for Lil' Jon and his crew... isn't that WJWD?

And yes, Jesus did walk with "Saints" and and "Sinners". However, I find that once people get saved-- myself included at times-- we tend to look down upon unsaved people and upon people who don't agree with us on every bit of the Word. (Especially if they are struggleing in areas we're not) We forget the God summed the law into two points... Love the Lord your God with all your heart, mind, soul and strength and love your neighbor as yourself...

If everything you say or do is moved by God's love. God knows it. When you start to act outside of His love... He knows that too.

So the pride message was also check for my own heart as well as anyone else out there who felt pricked by what I wrote...

We have to search our own hearts daily for sin... and realize that we are not above it... We also have to realize that we are in a constant battle, not against flesh and blood but against powers and principalities of darkness.

Lust ain't the only sin out there, but it seems to be the hot button in the church... Pride, greed, envy, vanity (wow, I said that on the LHCF) :lol: can trip up the most pious and sincere people.

I know I need Jesus to perform heart surgery on me DAILY... Sometimes, HOURLY depending upon the time of the month... ;)

Yes, Jesus IS the gate. There is no other Way to the Father except through Him.

Never once did I deny this fact.

Fellowship with sin is to separate oneself from God. Not fellowship with sinners... How are we to be salt or light if we do that?

God has people in every area... from the streets to the palaces working and moving on His behalf... I just say don't be too quick to judge... You may be dismissing one of God's angels (read: messengers).

Finally, I'm finding this "robust conversation" is taking me away from my family. My kids are in the background as we speak...

So if you guys want to continue to "discuss" with me, please feel free to PM me. However, I won't be responding to this thread anymore. :look:

ETA: I almost forgot! Happy New Year! May all of you reading this message have a happy, healthy and prosperous 2007!

Last edited:

StrawberryQueen

kelouis75 said:

ITA 100% :clap: :clap:
Of course we can agree to disagree.

We're going to have to because what you said in your last statement is too loose for me. Again, things seem to go back to the 'everybody worry only about themselves ' opinion. I asked a few of my younger cousins about this topic and they were excited about the prospect. They said that church music had been getting boring and could use a fresher perspective. I laughed and said ' I'm sorry I didnt know God needed a PR makeover'.

Is it any wonder why so many of us are no longer as like minded as we once were? It just seems that the only thing we can agree upon is the existance of God and the bible. Anything after that is a matter of interpretation. The truth of the matter is there is no right and wrong answer BUT if anything I would ask that we keep one eye on the direction of the ministry. The actions are noble but there are moments when the road to hell is paved with good intentions.

Can you explain the bolded parts?
kbragg said:
I certainly was not using scripture to "battle" and neither was BMWSS or RR so I'm not sure where that idea came from but none the less I certainly agree to disagree. Jesus said narrow is the gate and straight is the path and few there be that find it. So I'll stay seeking the straight and narrow, versus the path to Hell which is lined with compromise. I've never been one to straddle the fence and this "new brand" of "Christianity is not me. I don't get down with lukewarmness.
I think she was maybe putting a disclaimer in front of her own post, and not talking about you so much.
I could be wrong though! :lol: