Curly Heads - Keeping ends moist

inthepink

I am disappointed that I am finding more than a few split ends in my hair. I do not know the culprit. I can only guess at a couple of things:
1. My hair was cut right at the demarcation line and that hair is weak. It needs to be cut past that line.
2. I have trouble keeping my ends moist. I can't figure out styles to hide my ends b/c my hair is too short/shrunken while curly.
3. At night, I still barely know what to do with my hair other than to pin it up.

I had hoped to go till February before getting my hair trimmed but now I see that I need a trim...soon. I am still considering as to whether I'll do it myself (doubt it) or go to a Supercuts with my hair straightened by me (most likely).

Any advice on keeping my ends moist so they don't dry out after I get them trimmed? I KNOW my hair can handle six months with no trims and stay healthy provided I keep the ends moist. Of course, with my straight hair, hiding the ends and moisturizing the ends was a LOT easier.

good2uuuu

Conditioner rinses and castor oil as well as protective styles work for me. I also sleep in a satin bonnet. It hasn't been easy to figure out what works, but so far, so good.

buffalosoldier

Personally, I would trim more often than 6 months - at least every 3.
If your hair is very short probably use a really rich good conditioner and a good leave-in as well. In addition you could also use a cream mosituriser like elasta qp mango butter or miracle oil moisturiser.
When my hair was really short i never bothered with the ends at all but I washed it every other day and kept it super conditioned. I used all paul mitchell products. i trimmed it every 12 weeks and it grew out very nicely.

/images/graemlins/smile.gif

inthepink

I am thinking of trimming every 3 months. I would only do 6 months if I wasn't getting any split ends.

I conditioner wash my hair every day and use oil and moisturizer (sometimes both and sometimes one or the other) in addition to a leave-in (regular conditioner or infusium or fantasia ic).

My hair stays moist while it is moist...but by the time I go to bed, my hair is dried out. What can I do mid-day to keep the ends from drying out? Is there a good method for moisturizing all ends? It's easy to moisturize all ends when hair is straight but I'm finding it difficult to reach all strands when my hair has dried for the day.

My hair is in layers. The longest layer is midpoint to my brastrap and the shortest is almost shoulder length - stretched. Shrunken, it's bottom of neck length. I don't even know how to go about making a bun with hair like this.

Any other advice/ideas/tips?

buffalosoldier

Redken have an excellant product called 'moist ends' that you could try and it really works ..the bottle is very small but it lasts a long time.

If your hair is bra strap you should be able to put it in a bun or ponytail even with shrinkage. Can't you just wet it and slick it back with a good gel?

Blacktresses

How do you wear you hair daily? I think until your hair gets a little longer you may want to keep it in a bun. Maybe wrap a scarf around your bun. How long does it take for your hair to dry? If your hair is in a bun that will keep much of the moisture in your tresses. I notice a while back that you didn't want to use CDHHB due to the wax. I use creamy shea butter or avacado butter ( FNWL site). At the end of the day I take my bun down and it is still damp. I rub my fingers through to my scalp. My hair is still very moisturized and soft (even after it is completely dry).

FlowerHair

Reclaiming my time
Do you conditioner wash every day? I did that for a while and it caused some split ends in my hair. I don't think conditiner washes are for everybody. I went right back to washing 1-2 times/week. I trim my hair every 8 weeks, that's a must for my hair.
It might also need a trim above the demarcation line as you said yourself.
Good luck!

inthepink

[ QUOTE ]
Redken have an excellant product called 'moist ends' that you could try and it really works ..the bottle is very small but it lasts a long time.

If your hair is bra strap you should be able to put it in a bun or ponytail even with shrinkage. Can't you just wet it and slick it back with a good gel?

[/ QUOTE ]

My hair isn't bra strap. I wish it was!! It is about 4 inches away from bra strap. I always do a ponytail. It's just impossible to twist it around into a bun.

inthepink

[ QUOTE ]
Do you conditioner wash every day? I did that for a while and it caused some split ends in my hair. I don't think conditiner washes are for everybody. I went right back to washing 1-2 times/week. I trim my hair every 8 weeks, that's a must for my hair.
It might also need a trim above the demarcation line as you said yourself.
Good luck!

[/ QUOTE ]

My hair doesn't look right if I don't wash it everyday. It looks horrible if I just sleep on it. And if I try to recomb it, it's a nightmare! Thanks for the suggestion though.

inthepink

[ QUOTE ]
How do you wear you hair daily? I think until your hair gets a little longer you may want to keep it in a bun. Maybe wrap a scarf around your bun. How long does it take for your hair to dry? If your hair is in a bun that will keep much of the moisture in your tresses. I notice a while back that you didn't want to use CDHHB due to the wax. I use creamy shea butter or avacado butter ( FNWL site). At the end of the day I take my bun down and it is still damp. I rub my fingers through to my scalp. My hair is still very moisturized and soft (even after it is completely dry).

[/ QUOTE ]

I wear my hair in a curly ponytail everyday or either an updo. The middle sections stays moist but the ends just dry out by the end of the day. It could be just that I do need a trim which I plan to get soon. I think shea butter causes a buildup in my hair too so I recently stopped using it and use Miracle Oil Moisturizer.

I think the real problem I'm having is that I don't know HOW to moisturize my ends. I know I can use products but I just don't know HOW to apply it so that I reach every strand...especially once my hair is dry and I'm going to bed.

Kha

The only thing that seems to keep my ends moist is applying pure vitamin e oil (the 28,000 iu) to them right after getting out of the shower. My ends stay moist and soft all day long and my days of seeing split ends are far and few between.

Tracy

I spray a leave in/oil mixture on my hair when it's been airdried curly, HL. I find it 1. refreshes my curls without disturbing their formation and 2. adds some needed moisture. I follow the spray down with a slathering of serum.

FrizzMizz

Hairlove,
I had all the same problems when I couldn't do a ponytail on my natural hair. Now I can do ponytail but I can't do a bun. So I still have the same ole' problems. DRY ENDS.

I conditioner wash in the morning. I have perfect hair until day breaks and my ends would be so dry.

I discovered Elasta QP Recovery Oil and suave coccnut conditioner. I saturate my ends with the Recovery Oil. It's the only combination that keeps my hair moist.

When I wake up, my hair is flat tangled and matted. So I have to wash again.

Have you tried twisting out yet? This helps me keep moisture too.

What about alternating your natural hair with a phony pony? That's my winter weather plan.

ms_kenesha

At night I would mist my hair with distilled water or Elasta QP's H-Two, then add a cream moisturizer to the length of your hair, comb through with a wide tooth comb, and make bantu knots, this will keep the moisture on the ends because they will be tucked away. In the morning you can either undo the knots and put your hair in a ponytail (make the knots a little loose if you want to do that) or you can take out the knots and con-wash in the morning.

Hope that helps! /images/graemlins/smile.gif

inthepink

Thanks guys. I am going to try spraying a leave-in/oil mix at night. That seems to be the only way I will reach all of my curly strands. I'll also try the vitamin e oil to my hair after I wash it. It's less curly then and easier to get to the individual strands.

Sridevi

Have you tried that sealing-the-ends thing? I remember a thread about it. I think you section off the hair while wet, apply oil (moisturizer?), then cover the section with foil before applying heat from a curling iron or flat iron for a few seconds. It sounds like something that could work.

Poohbear

Fearfully Wonderfully Made
I heard when you transition without doing the big chop, you have a possibility of getting split ends on your natural hair. Do you think how you transition is causing these splits?

BTW hairlove, what happened to your album???