Cutting and/or trimming your own hair - Have you and How did you?

Moopeh

How do you guys cut your own hair?
I'd be cool to share info on DIY cutting at many different lengths.

I've had this dilemma for a while. I know I need a good haircut and trim to even out my hair and get rid of my knots. My hair not long either, it's still halfway down my neck. I'm also natural, growing out my heat damage and trying to keep my hair healthy before focusing on growing it long.

I tried doing it in braids, but my curlier textures on my head were cut too short and straighter textures not enough. Now my hairs uneven. Not a good look.

I could go to this salon and get it cut for 45$ plus tip, I hear it's one of the best salons in the city. But I've never been... Should I just go?

The same problem or ideas on a solution or just sharing how you cut your own hair for other ladies would be great. Thank You!

Last edited:

LaFemmeNaturelle

Lol someone is mighty impatient. Bumping a thread less than 15 mins later lol. You can check YouTube out for feyes method. Traycee has a video on trimming her blog is keepitsimplesista.blogspot.com. Ulovemegz and longhairdontcarellc also have videos. There's also a crea clip

Moopeh

Just saw that you have neck length hair. I Don't know how those videos will help you but you should search youtube

Yea that's the thing, It's kind of all for longer hair which is cool. I was checking out youtube, I found ladies with hair that's at should length or neck length shrunken or in twist but actually much longer. I guess once your hair is longer, its easier to self cut because there's no layers.

When my hair was shorter, I'll twist my hair, feel where the knots and rough hair are and then cut above it. I usually took off a quarter of an inch per 4 months.

As is got longer, I use the Search and Destroy method.

It's not any particular style, It's pretty much uneven.

At some point I will take myself to a Hairdresser that I trust to even it up.

fabbodbobbi

Hello,

My hair length is at mid neck length also. I've been dedicated in trimming my own ends every 3 month; a week after I color henna and steam d/c. I cut away 1/4" which is enough get rid of the knots and slit ends.
I have (2) mirrors in the bathroom to get a visual of what Im doing to the back of my head.
I dont care about cutting it in a style right now...my goal is to just grow healthy hair.

If you decide to trim your own ends I suggest to make sure to invest in a great pair of shears which I've recently done. I dont trust anyone with my hair right now.

Bobbie

Bobbie

Nonie

If I were you with hair that length, I'd just go get it evened out at the place you were referring to. I'd probably take a friend to be my extra eyes and watch that they don't cut off too much and that they only even it out.

If your hair was longer, I'd say put it in twists and then just stretch each one and snip off about the same amount in each. Because your hair is curly, the slight variations in length won't really matter unless you straighten since you can pat it into the same length. And you can always even it up later when it's longer.