CUTTING: I Think It's Time

MissYocairis

I have 2 inches of thinner ends. :( But, I've been working faithfully on my hair journey for 19 months. I don't want to let go of what I have worked hard on. :( I've had setbacks and I've recovered. But, I want thicker, healthier hair. Should I cut these ends, ladies? Or, wait till I get to my first big goal (brastrap) and then trim back? :confused:

Now's the time when I am hoping that, for some reason cutting the hair really DOES help it grow longer faster. :look:

Give me some courage! Anyone who has done it and you are glad you did? Or, anyone who has NOT done it and feels it's unneccesary.

Personally, anytime I've cut my hair to for overall hair health and better appearance, I've NEVER been regretful. Shorter HEALTHY, THICK, and EVEN hair I can be more happy and appreciative than the opposite. It's amazing how differently your hair behaves when those ends are in tip top shape. I may be the minority when I say go for it and get it out the way now. I think it will be less "painful" to do it prior to reaching your goal than reaching your goal and THEN cutting it. Plus, you'll reach your goal in a healthier state (if you properly care for your hair after the cut), although it may take slightly more time. I think it's worth it ;)

so1913 said:
Personally, anytime I've cut my hair to for overall hair health and better appearance, I've NEVER been regretful. Shorter HEALTHY, THICK, and EVEN hair I can be more happy and appreciative than the opposite. It's amazing how differently your hair behaves when those ends are in tip top shape. I may be the minority when I say go for it and get it out the way now. I think it will be less "painful" to do it prior to reaching your goal than reaching your goal and THEN cutting it. Plus, you'll reach your goal in a healthier state (if you properly care for your hair after the cut), although it may take slightly more time. I think it's worth it ;)

I totally agree with so1913. Once your ends are cut, they lay so much better and your hair will appear alot healthier.

I cut about 1 1/2 inches this past weekend and I don't regret it. Even though it's shorter, it moves better and looks like I have more hair because those little scragglies aren't down at the bottom being a distraction.

I just cut mine this past weekend and I love it. I trimmed about 1.5 inches. My hair looks thicker, feels better, and besides that it has motivated me to step up my growing tactics. For me, the better my hair looks the more I take care of it. I say go for it. Now that you know what to do, it will grow back in no time. Health trumps length for me every time!!!

I cut off 2 inches back in June, and it's growing back and I like that my ends are much healthier :) I say get it out the way now and not dread it later. HTH!

You have to do what you think it's best for your hair. If you feel trimming two inches at once will be better for your hair, go for it.

I'm having the same dilemma. My hair is close to BSL, but I do need a trim to even up my hair, so what I plan to do is get it about and inch or two past BSL, then trim an inch off, then grow it out a little more, then trim another inch.

I have to take baby steps! :lol:

so1913 said:
Exactly!! :yep:

I'd go ahead and do it.
Just think about how much better and healthier your hair will look in the end.

I'm suffering from thin ends myself...and plan on cutting about an inch next week. I hate to do it, but I know my hair will thank me for it.

I soooo get where you are coming from. For myself, I am anti-trim unless it is a DIRE situation. BUT, I have to say that I rarely wear my hair down. It is usually up in a bun, so I can get away with not cutting it for longer, I think. If you wear your hair down and especially if you wear it straight, the question is more complicated.

Is this a hair health issue for you or a hair appearance issue? If appearance is the issue, you might be really happy if you cut it. But it will be shorter...so maybe not. How attached are you to the length?

Not that you were saying this, but I do not think thin ends necessarily mean that hair is not healthy. Some people's hair just gets thinner with length. So, in that situation, cutting it won't help as it will just grow back the same way. And then you had a setback in length for nothing. :(

I haven't cut my hair in over a year. But I do take a look at it to see if the ends are split or something looks really bad. I believe in S&D whenever. But I don't find split ends. My issue is that my ends feel dry sometimes. At those times, I wonder if I should cut them...but I just hit BSL and I can't bring myself to do it. I keep saying when I reach waist length I'll cut because I have layers in my hair that I eventually want to make into longer layers. But I have a sneaky feeling that it will be even harder to cut then!

Well, I don't think this post has been much help, unfortunately. I just really understand how hard it is to cut. Let us know what you decide!

You'll feel so much better once you do it. I cut my hair all even in the back in July and I lost approx. 1.5 inches. I was so happy. My hair was so much fuller. I just got a touch-up and I got back half of what I cut. My stylist said my ends looked great and no cutting was needed. And with healthy practices, no cutting will be needed at the next touch-up, either (maybe a light dusting at the worst!). My point is that, if you are treating your hair right, once you cut the thin parts, it can only get healthier and longer from that point on. I want to reach my goals with nice ends. I know that it would crush me to only be armpit for a day because I had to cut the ends off. I'd rather get to armpit a little slower, knowing that when I get there, I get to keep what I grew and not have thin ends nagging me. Because my thin ends start talking to me and they never leave me alone until I cut them! :lol: Good luck on your decision.

I've got 2 inches that need to go too. But I'm on a no cut challenge 'til December. I cut 1.5 inches off back in March and loved how full and thick my hair felt, but I still missed the length it added. :ohwell:

I tried to reach my length goal without cutting....FAILED! I ended up cutting two and a half inches. I was upset but I feel better now......I dont think I'll do a whole two and a half inches at one time just for my sanity.....I'm glad I cut it though.

:wave: Thank you ladies! I think you have helped me realize what to do. To answer Cichelle, I actually only wear my hair down about one weekend a month. So, I'm not too concerned about the thin ends showing, however, I do worry about the thin ends affecting my overall hair health. (I do dust).

So, after reading your responses, I think I may start with a mini-trim and see what happens. 3/4ths of an inch. :scratchch

Thank you for your stories and encouragement! :kissing4:

I just gave myself another trim the day before yesterday. My last trim was in late July or early August and I said that I wasn't gonna trim again for 3 months. Well, I'm so anxious to get rid of this color, which has caused the last few inches of my hair to be so brittle and dry. I just cut off about another inch. I've been on my hair journey since November 05 and by the time November 06 comes around, there will barely be a change in length due to setbacks and trims. All I have to say is, it's taken almost a year to recover from the damage I've done to my hair since I started dying my hair. The more I cut off those colored ends, the healthier my hair looks and feels. I would love to have length, but right now I want to focus more on the health of my hair since it's quite damaged. Having over-processed, extremely damaged, colored ends will make your hair journey a lot longer than those ladies without damaged ends. Like I said, it'll be 1 year in November and my progress length-wise has yet to change, but the health of my hair is greatly improving and that means more to me than length. HTH.

CantBeCopied said:
I have 2 inches of thinner ends. :( But, I've been working faithfully on my hair journey for 19 months. I don't want to let go of what I have worked hard on. :( I've had setbacks and I've recovered. But, I want thicker, healthier hair. Should I cut these ends, ladies? Or, wait till I get to my first big goal (brastrap) and then trim back? :confused:

Now's the time when I am hoping that, for some reason cutting the hair really DOES help it grow longer faster. :look:

Give me some courage! Anyone who has done it and you are glad you did? Or, anyone who has NOT done it and feels it's unneccesary.

Girrrl I went through the SAME thing. Do it. Girl I used to have a little gap but now that I cut 2-3 in ches in may it is gone.

It almost feel like you are starting fresh.

Back