Cutting split ends

Monaliz

Hi people, there's this notion that if you constantly cut your split ends, your hair grows longer, how true is it? I've been cutting for as long as i can remember but my hair hasn't shown improvement. Recently i stopped cutting them, and it has increased in length by an inch. /images/graemlins/wink.gif However in terms of body- not sure if there is a change. Please advise... /images/graemlins/confused.gif

webby

Think Slim
Mona, I get frequent dustings, rather that full trims.

Dustings is when the hair is dry and the minutest amount is cut. When I used to let me stylist trim my hair, I would end up with growth, but at a snail's pace, because she wanted to get all of the bad ends off, but she would take too much off in the process.

I now go to a white salon (Holiday Hair or Cost Cutters) and ask for a dusting. If the stylist doesn't know what it is, I instruct her and insist the she only chip the ends, not CUT the ends. I also ONLY do this on dry hair, never let them wash my hair.

BTW, if you have extenstive split ends, then I definitely recommend a decent trim/cut for that. You cannot repair that kind of damage, just conceal it.

MonaLisa

I just had to jump on here and say hello to the other Mona...ummm huhhhh..lol.

Hi!

Okay, back to the thread.

webby

Think Slim
[ QUOTE ]
MonaLisa said:
I just had to jump on here and say hello to the other Mona...ummm huhhhh..lol.

Hi!

Okay, back to the thread.

[/ QUOTE ]

You are too funny /images/graemlins/grin.gif

Nonie

Hi Sister-Mine /images/graemlins/wave.gif

[ QUOTE ]
reformatio said:
Here is a link to a website that deals specifically with split ends: http://splitends.bebto.com/index.htm. I hope that it will be of some help to you /images/graemlins/wink.gif.

[/ QUOTE ]

I was gonna suggest that link too. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

I agree with Webby, dusting is a good practice. I used to do it regularly when I wore braids 24-7, each time I redid a braid. My hair grew coz I manipulated it very little but it also looked nice and thick and I believe the regular trimming (just 1/4 inch) was the reason why. I say that because when I joined the forum, I discovered not many pple felt trimming hair was necessary so I stopped. But a few months later, my ends were looking so sad I had to chop off up to 2 inches.

For a visual...
This is how my hair looked with regular dustings:

And a year later:

Compare the difference in how the ends looked after 4 months of no trimming (look beyond my fingers): /images/graemlins/nono.gif

NB: I do think you can extend the time between dustings by doing the baggie method though. DontSpeakDefeat and Adrienne0914 demonstrate how it's done very well in their albums. Take a peek. /images/graemlins/wink.gif And SherryLove recently shared how healthy her ends still looked after going without any trimming, thanks to the baggie method.

LegallySpeaking

How do you guys dust the back? I've hacked off all the split ends in the front and on the sides, but cannnot get to the back as easily.

webby

Think Slim
[ QUOTE ]
LegallySpeaking said:
How do you guys dust the back? I've hacked off all the split ends in the front and on the sides, but cannnot get to the back as easily.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm anal retentive about my hair, especially since I have an even bob now, so I get it done at the salon. In the past, when the hair was really long, I'd let my hubby dust my ends. He always did a great job.

sengschick

The Bun Master
I say cut splits, just trimming for the sake of trimming is another issue altogether. If I see a split I nip it immediately w/the shears /images/graemlins/smile.gif. There are benefits to keeping decent ends beyond just the look of them, it also really helps me w/detangling. My hair doesn't tangle and knot as much if the ends are fresh. I still don't trim or dust every 8 weeks but last time I went 7 months or so and that was way too long for me. It's easier to maintain healthy ends now though since I know what I'm doing though too /images/graemlins/wink.gif (I think I do at least /images/graemlins/look.gif ).

SherryLove

[ QUOTE ]
Nonie said:
Hi Sister-Mine /images/graemlins/wave.gif

[ QUOTE ]
reformatio said:
Here is a link to a website that deals specifically with split ends: http://splitends.bebto.com/index.htm. I hope that it will be of some help to you /images/graemlins/wink.gif.

[/ QUOTE ]

I was gonna suggest that link too. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

I agree with Webby, dusting is a good practice. I used to do it regularly when I wore braids 24-7, each time I redid a braid. My hair grew coz I manipulated it very little but it also looked nice and thick and I believe the regular trimming (just 1/4 inch) was the reason why. I say that because when I joined the forum, I discovered not many pple felt trimming hair was necessary so I stopped. But a few months later, my ends were looking so sad I had to chop off up to 2 inches.

For a visual...
This is how my hair looked with regular dustings:

And a year later:

Compare the difference in how the ends looked after 4 months of no trimming (look beyond my fingers): /images/graemlins/nono.gif

NB: I do think you can extend the time between dustings by doing the baggie method though. DontSpeakDefeat and Adrienne0914 demonstrate how it's done very well in their albums. Take a peek. /images/graemlins/wink.gif And SherryLove recently shared how healthy her ends still looked after going without any trimming, thanks to the baggie method.

[/ QUOTE ]

nice visual,,,,nonie...... /images/graemlins/smile.gif /images/graemlins/smile.gif /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Monaliz

Hi dear, just wanted to thank you for your reply. I haven't been online for a while... looooonnnngggg story! But thanks... uv helped.
Merry Christmas!

webby said:
Mona, I get frequent dustings, rather that full trims.

Dustings is when the hair is dry and the minutest amount is cut. When I used to let me stylist trim my hair, I would end up with growth, but at a snail's pace, because she wanted to get all of the bad ends off, but she would take too much off in the process.

I now go to a white salon (Holiday Hair or Cost Cutters) and ask for a dusting. If the stylist doesn't know what it is, I instruct her and insist the she only chip the ends, not CUT the ends. I also ONLY do this on dry hair, never let them wash my hair.

BTW, if you have extenstive split ends, then I definitely recommend a decent trim/cut for that. You cannot repair that kind of damage, just conceal it.