Dusting vs just cutting off bad ends

Is there really any advantage to dusting if nothing is wrong w/your ends? i ask this b/c i always for some reason, thought that dusting was going around looking for split ends and cuttign them off. But I did a search on dusting and see that it just means cutting about 1/8th inch off. What is that called, anyway (going around looking for split ends and cuttign them off ) is there a name for that?

Also, can someone tell me whose fotki features that rolling the ends technique for trimming? And if I understand correctly, when you roll your ends on your fingers, any hairs that stick up are split and thus supposed to be trimmed, right?

ETA, I found it in DSD's fotki.

Last edited:

inthepink

I thought dusting was cutting off just the split ends! But maybe they are both dusting. I can also see how cutting off 1/8th inch is like a dusting, too.

*Happily Me*

Since i've been blow drying and flat ironing once a week, i've been dusting more. I dust each and everytime i flat iron my hair.

dusting keeps my hair looking fresh.

rrolle234

Looking for splits and cutting is called search and destroy... while dusting is to cut small amounts of hair all around

sareca

anatomicallycorrect said:
Is there really any advantage to dusting if nothing is wrong w/your ends? i ask this b/c i always for some reason, thought that dusting was going around looking for split ends and cuttign them off. But I did a search on dusting and see that it just means cutting about 1/8th inch off. What is that called, anyway (going around looking for split ends and cuttign them off ) is there a name for that?

Also, can someone tell me whose fotki features that rolling the ends technique for trimming? And if I understand correctly, when you roll your ends on your fingers, any hairs that stick up are split and thus supposed to be trimmed, right?

ETA, I found it in DSD's fotki.

It's in mine too.
Dusting Techniques

rrolle234 said:
Looking for splits and cutting is called search and destroy... while dusting is to cut small amounts of hair all around
"Search and destroy" LOL! I like that one.Ohhhh, okay, so that's what people meant when they would type "S&D"....;)