Daily Moisturizer - Applied WET or DRY?

spicypeppermint

I'm so new to this journey I just started today but spent a WEEK searching these forums for answers to basic daily moisturizing techniques.

What do you do when you wake up in the morning? Do you wet your hair THEN apply the moisture?

Do you apply it dry then seal with oil?

If you wet your hair every morning is it because you just want to moisturize or are you already doing it because your co-washing...

My hair grows at a steady pace and is super THICK no matter how I abuse it. But it lacks moisture, even after I've applied it 5 minutes earlier.

Any advice?

ceebee3

I apply a little bit of moisturizer to my dry hair and seal with a bit of oil or serum.

I only moisturize in the morning if I'm putting my hair in a bun but I don't wet it.

spicypeppermint

I apply a little bit of moisturizer to my dry hair and seal with a bit of oil or serum.

I only moisturize in the morning if I'm putting my hair in a bun but I don't wet it.
Perfect! I'm doing the whole head bagging method...because I'm moisturizing overnight, do you think moisturizing the next morning would over due it?

Miss AJ

I rinse my hair everyday so i normally moisturize on wet hair. If you are doing the baggy method at night you shouldn't need to moisturize again in the morning.

robot.

I spritz with water from a spray bottle and then moisturize and seal. I couldn't imagine doing it on dry hair.

spicypeppermint

When you say "rinse" do you mean you just wet it? I just got a relaxer today and I would love to rinse daily to get out the oils from the baggie treatment but I don't know if that will make my relaxer fade faster?

Don't know if that will really make a difference.

Miss AJ

When you say "rinse" do you mean you just wet it? I just got a relaxer today and I would love to rinse daily to get out the oils from the baggie treatment but I don't know if that will make my relaxer fade faster?

Don't know if that will really make a difference.

I rinse, then run conditioner through it (conditioner wash). Rinsing your doesn't make a relaxer fade faster but if you like to wear your hair straight all the time then daily rinsing is pointless IMO. When I was relaxed i had no problem with rinsing daily because I always wore my hair in a bun and i got touch ups every 4 months.

spicypeppermint

I rinse, then run conditioner through it (conditioner wash). Rinsing your doesn't make a relaxer fade faster but if you like to wear your hair straight all the time then daily rinsing is pointless IMO. When I was relaxed i had no problem with rinsing daily because I always wore my hair in a bun and i got touch ups every 4 months.
I see...my hair never fully held a relaxer unless it was flat ironed after, so I couldn't wear it down anyway. Its kind of puffy at the ends but I wanted to bun it, basically every day. I just didn't want my edges to curl from too much water. Once they curl I don't know if they can be straightened without heat.

ceebee3

What moisturizer do you use?

I'll use anything light. A little dab of V05, Paul Mitchell the conditioner, John Frieda cream or spray (very lightly), or Herbal Essences LTR.

If I'm wearing my hair in a bun then I'll use anything, garnier cream, Aussie moist, my thick matrix knock off conditioner from BJ's (my favorite).

I ran out of coconut oil so now I'm using my serum to seal. I use Paul Mitchell super skinny serum or garnier sleek and shine but just a very small amount.

twinkletoes17

I only moisturize in the morning if I'm wearing a bun... and if I remember :D lol.

I mainly moisturize before bed though. I use either my John Frieda Night Creme Serum, NTM Silk-Touch Leave-In, UBH Creme Moisturizer, or a combination of two of the above products lol. Always on dry hair and the results are always good. Bouncy hair and the brittle and dry-looking tangled ends are moist and healthy, especially when I flat iron. I flat iron rarely, but when I do, my ends look horrid. This always solves that problem for me.

On wash/co-wash day, I use my NTM Leave-In and seal with an oil or serum. That's the only time my hair is wet and product goes on. I've never wet my hair to moisturize, so I can't say if there are or aren't benefits to that.

it_comes_naturally

When you air dry...do you notice a change in texture? does the water make the hair more frizzy?

No, I haven't noticed a change in texture when I air dry. That's the only way I dry my hair, though. It would be frizzy, if I didn't put a scarf on for a little while (maybe 30 min or so). Also when I moisturize with the elasta qp mango butter, it seems to be less frizzy. I'm guessing because it's a heavy moisturizer.

spicypeppermint

So I baggied last night and my hair was still dry today. I used ORS Shea Butter & Castor Oil. Tonight I am baggying again using S-Curl & Coconut Oil, braided hair into 6 sections then saranwrapped. I feel like I have so much gunk in my hair in the past two days that I may be doing damage.

Fhrizzball

you may have buildup on your hair or a porosity problem may be suspect. Also Sprays don't seem to keep the moisture in for me so I use creamy ones or even conditioners making sure to evenly distribute so my hair is conditioned but not coated. I moisterize 2 times a day.

spicypeppermint

you may have buildup on your hair or a porosity problem may be suspect. Also Sprays don't seem to keep the moisture in for me so I use creamy ones or even conditioners making sure to evenly distribute so my hair is conditioned but not coated. I moisterize 2 times a day.
I've had nothing but quickweaves for a year and my hair grew from neck length to a little pass shoulder length. I'm thinking the less I do to my hair the better but everyone is saying to moisturize! I'm very confused on what I should actually be doing :/

*Muffin*

I spritz with water from a spray bottle and then moisturize and seal. I couldn't imagine doing it on dry hair.

I've tried moisturizing on dry hair, and I feel like the product just sits there. I prefer moisturizing daily on dampened hair, then I put it in four braids and let it air dry. I'm curious about moisturizing on dry hair, though. I wonder if there's a trick to it or something :look:.

Starronda

At the start of BSL! Patiently waiting for full❤️
I like to dampen my hair with water and nettle and seal with Argan, Coconut or JBCO. I do it twice a day.

Desarae

I've had nothing but quickweaves for a year and my hair grew from neck length to a little pass shoulder length. I'm thinking the less I do to my hair the better but everyone is saying to moisturize! I'm very confused on what I should actually be doing :/

Well you said your hair grows quickly and retains length easily but your hair is always dry, so you should be adding moisture to your hair as often as you can, at least until your moisture levels are on point.

What is your complete regimen, products and all?
How often are you shampooing and with what?
How often are you conditioning and with what?
Have you clarified your hair lately?
What are you using to moisturize? How often?
Do you deep condition and with what?

Last edited:

DarkHair

I use Neutrogena Triple Moisture daily leave-in on dry hair daily.

On wash days I use it when wet, then seal with a heat protectant before rollersetting/air drying/hood drying/blow drying. I also apply a bit after I'm dry...for good measure.