Daily Washing="Worn Hair...Like Fabric"

bee

Hi Ladies!

I was reading the thread on daily washing for faster growth. I clicked on someone's album (can't remember who) and she stated that hair is like fabric; if you wash it too much, it will get "worn". Now, I imagined a favorite pair of jeans that I once owned. I would wear these jeans quite often so, I would wash them often. Over time, the jeans did in fact, fade or get that "worn" look. Does the same thing happen to our hair over time?

I'd really like to know what you ladies think about this.

I'm certainly not one of the experts, but I think the one thing/things that differ is how we wash, treat and help our hair recover from our daily washes.

Unlike our jeans that get tossed in the washier with harsh detergents, manipulated to heck by the agitator, spun through the rinse cycle and dried to hell in the dryer...well you get the point.

Now our hair is another story - we barely touch our hair through the gentle co washing - we pat our hair dry or air dry, and lastly we add pampering oils, creams and sprays among other loving hair care methods.

We do so much to love on our hair to help it last a life time...unlike those jeans that were donated to the salvation army months ago :grin:

I'm certainly not one of the experts, but I think the one thing/things that differ is how we wash, treat and help our hair recover from our daily washes.

Unlike our jeans that get tossed in the washier with harsh detergents, manipulated to heck by the agitator, spun through the rinse cycle and dried to hell in the dryer...well you get the point.

Now our hair is another story - we barely touch our hair through the gentle co washing - we pat our hair dry or air dry, and lastly we add pampering oils, creams and sprays among other loving hair care methods.

We do so much to love on our hair to help it last a life time...unlike those jeans that were donated to the salvation army months ago :grin:

EXACTLY!! I think if you wash your hair roughly, using super harsh chemicals, and then blowdrying it to no end everytime you do so - then, OF COURSE.

But if you treat your hair like your favorite silk blouse - delicate cycle, detergents made just for it, allowing it to dry gradually, not wearing it when you are mudwrestling ( ;) ) it'll last MANY times longer than those jeans would.....

ITA...If any one goes about treating there hair w/o care it wil be worn ..or let me use better terms...."they will be bald headed"....you can co-wash ur hair everyday and as long as you are taking care of it and your hair is responding well to the daily co -washings...then your hair will NEVER get or be "worn out looking"...I know numerous ladies on this thread ...who co-wash daily w/ AMAZING results....I co-wash daily when I stretch and my hair loves it.....but even when I dont stretch..I still wash my hair often 2-3 days a week..:yep:

In others words....your hair appearence is based on how you take care of it...the end:yep:

HTH

I disagree with the postings here. yes how we treat our hair is a factor, but daily washing, will put more strain and potentially cause more damage than hair that is just left alone. The manipulation alone of daily washing:nono:

EXACTLY!! I think if you wash your hair roughly, using super harsh chemicals, and then blowdrying it to no end everytime you do so - then, OF COURSE.

But if you treat your hair like your favorite silk blouse - delicate cycle, detergents made just for it, allowing it to dry gradually, not wearing it when you are mudwrestling ( ;) ) it'll last MANY times longer than those jeans would.....

hmmm "mudwrestling"????:rolleyes::lachen::lachen:

I disagree with the postings here. yes how we treat our hair is a factor, but daily washing, will put more strain and potentially cause more damage than hair that is just left alone. The manipulation alone of daily washing:nono:

True, to a certain extent. Unlike that pair of jeans...that same strand wont be around that long through regular shedding...so we won't have to worry about the same strands receiving the same washing routine and manipulation.

I have jeans that were purchased longer than two years ago...however, I don't think I have all of the same hair strands - Guess He knew we were not perfect and wouldn't care for the hair perfectly thus the need for the hair regeneration cycle. :yep:

I do think that hair is like fabric and you have to be careful to not cause too much wear and tear. I am not sure how much wear daily washing causes though. Detergents for fabrics can have a ph between 8.5 and 11. This is much higher than shampoos.

I tend to wash my hair almost daily because my hair dries out so fast between washes. I found that rehydrating it through daily washing has contributed significantly to length retention. For me, combing or brushing dry hair causes much more wear than washing with a low-ph shampoo or conditioner washing.

I saw this yesterday. It's geared towards those who have curly hair, but watch for the clip where they are washing the dummies hair. I used to wash my hair like that before I knew better :wallbash: One of the hosts is Lorraine Massey, author of Curly Girl.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HtnLEHCQ8iA

Thanks for posting this link...I didn't know that you should use the noo poo on dry hair first as a prepoo treatment:wallbash: My daughters hair looks EXACTLY like that black ladies when it's wet.... color and all

the issue is we still consider washing to include shampoo. Shampoo contains similar products to that found in laundry detergent. So yes, if we shampooed our hair daily, or many times a week, then our hair would become dry and "worn" Just as laundry detergent, shampoo kind of cleans your hair by stripping off a layer--faded clothes/thin hair.

I think, on here at least, when people say they are washing there hair often they are speaking of cowashing which puts moisture back in the hair follicle--this will not wear out your hair.

Our hair loves water and moisture, we just have to stop associating water and washing with shampoo.

Hi Ladies!

I was reading the thread on daily washing for faster growth. I clicked on someone's album (can't remember who) and she stated that hair is like fabric; if you wash it too much, it will get "worn". Now, I imagined a favorite pair of jeans that I once owned. I would wear these jeans quite often so, I would wash them often. Over time, the jeans did in fact, fade or get that "worn" look. Does the same thing happen to our hair over time?

I'd really like to know what you ladies think about this.

Well, I wash/co-wash my hair every other day. When washing my hair with shampoo, I never, NEVER, put shampoo on the last 6 or so inches of my hair. I only apply shampoo to the base of my head. The shampoo that slides down when I'm rinsing is enough. THAT will/can dry out your hair ends over time. I read that in " The Black Woman's Hair Guide To Beautiful and Healthier Hair in 6 Weeks" by Carolyn Gray and I have been doing that since joining LHCF Dec 2005 and my hair is thriving.

Now, when I conditioner wash, I appy the conditioner all over my head, all the way to the ends but that's the purpose of co-washing. To moisturize your hair and ends, and once again my hair is thriving. My hair always feels soft, moisturized, and thick. I'll co-wash forever because my hair loves it:yep:

I disagree with you sweetie {{{hugs}}} I co-wash every other day been doing it for 2 years and some change and I barely have breakage. I think the added attention is only benefiting my hair.

I co wash every day to every other day too. But my hair is in braids. So after I'm done, I towel dry add a little moisturizing butter and I'm done. No detangling, low low manipulation. :yep:

i've been doing co-washes everyday for the past month and my hair loves it! I shampoo once a week and airdry everytime. It seems my hair's growing faster too but i can't be sure of that until i update my album.

I co-wash daily to every other day, and my hair is moist and very happy.

ETA: My take on the idea that washing wears the hair out is a bit more basic. I don't mean to be crass, but here goes, most of us shower or bath every day and our lower auxillary hair is not worn out or thin.

Last edited:
:nono:

My hair is not like fabric. It thrives with daily co-washes. The comparison just does not work for me. But I don't use harsh shampoos nor do I treat my hair in a rough manner. I certainly don't put it though the spin cycle. :look: :)

I co-wash daily to every other day, and my hair is moist and very happy.

ETA: My take on the idea that washing wears the hair out is a bit more basic. I don't mean to be crass, but here goes, most of us shower or bath every day and our lower auxillary hair is not worn out or thin.

:lachen: GoldenBreeze, you could never be crass....... ;)

This thread really took off! I'm glad to discover that my hair will not wear out from daily washing. I'll keep doing what I'm doing and in the meantime, I'll take a look at the guide that the member left in an earlier post, to find out the right way to wash my hair.

Thanks again!

That's no neccessarily true. It all depends on what type of shampoo your using and how u are washing your hair. As an experiment I washed my hair everyday for 6 months, just to see what would happen. I used CON (green bottle) and my hair loved it. I was gentle when washing and detangling and my hair never felt "worn".

I don't believe that for one minute.....hair is not fabric.....so what do you say for women of other races who consistently wash their hear everyday?

steups

most people I know who was daily, have healthy heads of hair and when I do it myself, my hair and scalp thanks me :grin:

Cosigning with the majority on this one :yep:
Daily WATERING of my hair has been nothing but beneficial. Washing does not only mean heavy manipulation with harsh shampoos.

ie. even though my hair is either rinsed or co-washed daily I really only use shampoo 1X/week. Additionally when co-washing I focus on my hair and not my scalp.

Since we are fond of analogies. I liken my hair to a rare delicate tropical flower. It always appeared to me that the hibiscus flowers in my Grannies garden were brighter and bouncier after it rained or a good old fashioned hand watering. :rolleyes:

VAL..is your *steups* my *chuptz?* I swear I heard the sound when I saw your words! LOL! :lachen:

Last edited:
Cowashing usually makes my hair feel more moisturized if it were to cuase "worn" hair I think it would look less shiny and dully looking *shrugs*

Well hair is not like fabric, which is made of fibers like cotton, wool, polyester, ect...With fibers of course over time it will get worn if washed repeatedly or not.

Our hair however is made up of keratin, which is totally different. Now there are many people who wash their hair daily and it is not worn in the same sense. I think if your hair is "worn" it would be think (the strand itself) and it would just break. Just my 2cents.

I disagree with you sweetie {{{hugs}}} I co-wash every other day been doing it for 2 years and some change and I barely have breakage. I think the added attention is only benefiting my hair.
I agree. Daily manipulation that entails ripping thru your hair with a fine tooth comb, constant blow drying and hot curling, and other damaging tactics will make your hair "worn" and damaged.

I have been cowashing my hair every 2 or 3 days. My hair is doing pretty well. It really helps, considering I haven't had a relaxer in 16 weeks! I'm really trying to transition and I don't plan on changing my mind. My hair is APL on the right side and every time I straighten it, I am very happy with the results.

Just so you all know, I posted this thread because of something I read. It was not my sentiment. I am just looking for a way to benefit from all the great information I've learned, so far. I have had enough setbacks and I want to pin down something that works for my hair. So far, washing my hair more often, is the best regime I've adopted.

you can think of hair being like a fabric.. but if you do so, you must consider the process in which you wash it being the cause of worn hair, not the fact that you washed it...

for example... if you wash a cotton shirt everyday in an industrial or commercial washing machine with ammonia or bleach or even heavy detergent, if you will, then you will quickly end up with damaged and worn fabric, HOWEVER....

if you wash the same shirt in a front loading machien on delicate cycle with Woolite... or wash it by hand with a specialized cleanser & fabric treatment, making sure to treat any stains with TLC.... or perhaps even dry clean the shirt, it will last you many years and will remain in good shape with bright non faded colors

so yes, ya can think of hair like fabric... in fact, you should

Back