Damian Walter - Natural Hair Stylist

BronzyBella

I recently stumbled across a loctition/natural hairstylist named Damian Walter via YouTube. http://youtu.be/RZcf6WXUuVU

From my understanding, he lives and operates out of Houston, Texas. He has over 300 videos and I haven't been able to take my eyes off them! He seems very knowledgeable and skilled. You should see the way he'll twist a perfect starter loc with a comb in a fraction of a second.

The only issue I have with him is his stance regarding combing/brushing long natural hair. (He believes it should be combed through daily with a smaller toothed comb *cringes*)

Has anyone else heard of him? What do you think of him? Also, who are some good black (professional) stylists to follow on YouTube other than him and his friend Char?

I am an aspiring hairstyling student and his videos are giving me life right now/adding dimension to the whole hairstyling/hair care thing.

ChocolatePie777

Yes ive heard of him and seen his videos......he seems to be a good stylish......but with average hair health knowledge i think(for loose hair)

Last edited:

Atdow71

I've been a follower of his youtube channel for quite some time. He dies some great work, but some of th things that he says I don't agree with. He thinks that DIY'ers don't know what they're doing- which is false. But of course he would say that because he's. stylist.

He's funny, he throws a lot f shade at people.

greenandchic

I recently stumbled across a loctition/natural hairstylist named Damian Walter via YouTube. http://youtu.be/RZcf6WXUuVU

From my understanding, he lives and operates out of Houston, Texas. He has over 300 videos and I haven't been able to take my eyes off them! He seems very knowledgeable and skilled. You should see the way he'll twist a perfect starter loc with a comb in a fraction of a second.

The only issue I have with him is his stance regarding combing/brushing long natural hair. (He believes it should be combed through daily with a smaller toothed comb *cringes*)

Has anyone else heard of him? What do you think of him? Also, who are some good black (professional) stylists to follow on YouTube other than him and his friend Char?

I am an aspiring hairstyling student and his videos are giving me life right now/adding dimension to the whole hairstyling/hair care thing.

Yikes! About the small tooth comb, Nonie believes in it, though I doubt on a daily basis. I did try using a seamless small tooth tomb on my hair to get of of tangles and shed hair and it works great. I only use it 1-2x week though and the type/quality of the comb makes a huge difference.

I will check out the videos when I have more time this evening!

TXChic254

I'm watching his "kinky hair and how it works" video and he is going to town on detangling this head with this small tooth comb.

GulfCoastChica

They are at Bennett's Beauty Supply, my favorite beauty supply in the world. They are Black-owned.

He is very interesting.

Lute

Thank you for posting this. There was one great video I saw which I think applies for both loose and locs hair it was called Thin locs huge parts.

BronzyBella

I've been a follower of his youtube channel for quite some time. He dies some great work, but some of th things that he says I don't agree with. He thinks that DIY'ers don't know what they're doing- which is false. But of course he would say that because he's. stylist.

He's funny, he throws a lot f shade at people.

LOL. I know. He'll sometimes throw shade at a client sitting right in his seat. It just makes his vids more fun to watch (for me) though. I guess his client's are used to his personality/know what to expect from him.

yaya24

♥Naija°Texan • Realtor • SPX Options #RichAunty●♡•
Men give the best scalp massages.
I bet he's nice at the shampoo bowl.

manter26

I watch sometimes because I was interested in learning how to do locs.

My complaints:
  • His videos are too long (some up to 1 hour!), not edited, footage is all over the place.
  • People in his salon are rude and they make fun of clients. They filmed someone who was in pain getting his hair done and posted it so others could make fun of him. I'm certain they didn't have permission to record his image in the 1st place.
  • I don't agree with his opinion on hair products.
  • I don't agree with his opinion on hair care.
  • I think his arrogance can go overboard. He's always complaining that other stylist and DIYers don't know what they are doing...but I saw one of his previous clients come in to get locs tightened and her locs weren't all that either.
  • He RIPS through hair with his comb...I mean rips and tears it out and chucks it on the floor. :nono:

I do think he is one of FEW people on youtube talking about locs...so there's that.

After they posted that vid making fun of an unsuspecting client, I haven't watched him. :ohwell:

MyAngelEyez~C~U

I watch sometimes because I was interested in learning how to do locs.

My complaints:
  • His videos are too long (some up to 1 hour!), not edited, footage is all over the place.
  • People in his salon are rude and they make fun of clients. They filmed someone who was in pain getting his hair done and posted it so others could make fun of him. I'm certain they didn't have permission to record his image in the 1st place.
  • I don't agree with his opinion on hair products.
  • I don't agree with his opinion on hair care.
  • I think his arrogance can go overboard. He's always complaining that other stylist and DIYers don't know what they are doing...but I saw one of his previous clients come in to get locs tightened and her locs weren't all that either.
  • He RIPS through hair with his comb...I mean rips and tears it out and chucks it on the floor. :nono:

I do think he is one of FEW people on youtube talking about locs...so there's that.

After they posted that vid making fun of an unsuspecting client, I haven't watched him. :ohwell:
Yes, yes, and yes again.

AtlantaJJ

Marking my spot so I can check this out later.

He would not be combing my hair with fine tooth comb tho :rolleyes: