DAMN my hairstylist!!!

Neen

Why oh why do stylist continue to overlap? Why is the concept so hard to grasp? Now, part of this is my fault, not paying attention and all :eek:. I went to my stylist about two weeks ago for a touch up. Mind you I was very pleased with her work last time. I got a Mizani for fine hair but it was an 'initial' relaxer because I went natural for a while. It turned out perfect. Not too straight, still had thickenss, no hard edges and, most importantly, no breakage! Well, I go back in for my touch up. I have short hair and while she was doing it (about halfway through) she says "I usually apply the mizani from root to tip when it's short like this and then when it gets longer I'll just put it on the new growth." :huh: I mean, WTF? She felt that since the relaxer is so "light weight" that it's not a problem. But my thing is, if you apply relaxer to hair that is already straight the relaxer, light or not, will continue to break down the the hair, my poor...fragile...hair. So now my hair is breaking in little bits and pieces. But I'm not angry. I am so past that now. I have dealt with so many dumb decisions that I can't even muster up the anger anymore. I can only shake my head and wonder what really goes on in hair school.

I've heard of many, many hair horror stories just like yours. I'm fortunate enough not to be a victim of one of those hair "stylists". I've come to the conclusion that clown college and cosmetology school are one in the same these days. :perplexed

webby

Think Slim
brownhaired_bonanza said:
I've heard of many, many hair horror stories just like yours. I'm fortunate enough not to be a victim of one of those hair "stylists". I've come to the conclusion that clown college and cosmetology school are one in the same these days. :perplexed
:lachen: That's too funny

candibaby

brownhaired_bonanza said:
Hey. As a cosmetologist in training I resent that. :(
Now I'm just starting my 2nd semester in Cosmetology, and we haven't started chemical applications yet, but I have gone to some of the year 2 classes and watched.. I don't know about at other schools, but at Savannah Tech they don't teach the art of "overlapping". The teachers don't and the book doesnt. We have manuals from both Deep Brilliance (line of products we use) and Milady (book company) and both stress the importance of applying relaxers to ONLY newgrowth unless it is a virgin relaxer. Honestly, I dont think that other schools teach students to apply relaxer all over every time, I think that is a choice that the stylist makes (a) because she really doesnt care your hair because as long as its breaking you will [or at least she hopes you will] keep coming back to her for "treatment" (b) because she's performed some odd experiments doing this and honestly thinks it's better than just applying to new growth. Maybe I shouldn't have taken this personally, but I did because just because there are some (okay a lot) of BAD stylists out there, people make it seem like all of them are bad. And all of them aren't.

Anyway, I'm sorry that this happened to you. Hopefully you can nurse your hair back to health.

PrettyBrownEyes

Neen, I hope you don't let her or any other stylist do that again. That would definately thin your hair out if it didn't break it off first.

I think its really important that we educate ourselves (as all of us members do) on hair care especially when we are allowing someone, even if they are licensed to apply chemicals to our crown and glory.

Just last week, I went to a new stylist for a touch-up, cellophane, and roller wrap. Anyway, I requested Affirm Lye. She really wanted me to use Mizani, her favorite and as she applies the Affirm, she says do you want to try the Mizani. I said "maybe next time." She goes on to say, I can do it now if you like they are all the same.

There was no way I was going to sit there and say yes you can use two different brands of relaxer on my hair at the same application.

We have to take the affirmative route with stylists because in the end its our hair.

candibaby

PrettyBrownEyes said:
Just last week, I went to a new stylist for a touch-up, cellophane, and roller wrap. Anyway, I requested Affirm Lye. She really wanted me to use Mizani, her favorite and as she applies the Affirm, she says do you want to try the Mizani. I said "maybe next time." She goes on to say, I can do it now if you like they are all the same.
I am too mad at that. Just because their key ingredients are both sodium hydroxide doesnt mean they are the exact same products. :perplexed

PrettyBrownEyes

candibaby said:
I am too mad at that. Just because their key ingredients are both sodium hydroxide doesnt mean they are the exact same products. :perplexed

You know!

She has been doing hair for 24 years but, I didn't care. That suggestion didn't seem right to me.

Neen

Candibaby, I didn't mean to offend you. I just keep running into dumb stylists. I can't figure out why they won't listen to me when I say "My hair is fragile, be gentle. Don't do anything your not supposed to do." I would like to go to cosmetology school myself just so I can help people like me (plus I love hair).

Chinagem

Neen, I'm so sorry that you had this experience.

PrettyBrownEyes, are you [/I]sure that she didn't apply the Mizani? She probably tried to be slick and get it up there. That's ridiculous that she'd want to apply two different kinds of relaxers to your head at the same time. Anyway, if they are "all the same", why would she even suggest a different relaxer b/c they would obviously have the same outcome.

PrettyBrownEyes

Chinagem,

I had the same thoughts. I did see the tub of Affirm the whole time though. :)

She told me that the hair of her customers that use Mizani stays straight for a long time. I don't know if that is good or bad.

I told her that I hear more about Affirm than Mizani. I've had Mizani applied once many years ago, but, I've been using Affirm with good results and have heard more cons about Mizani.