Day 14...Lent thought for today..Scripture Union

kayte

Exodus 3:15-22

[14] God said to Moses: I am the eternal God. So tell them that the LORD, whose name is " I Am," has sent you. This is my name forever, and it is the name that people must use from now on. [16] Call together the leaders of Israel and tell them that the God who was worshiped by Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob has appeared to you. Tell them I have seen how terribly they are being treated in Egypt, [17] and I promise to lead them out of their troubles. I will give them a land rich with milk and honey, where the Canaanites, Hittites, Amorites, Perizzites, Hivites, and Jebusites now live.

Here God reveals his identity as the God of Abraham, Isaac and Jacob - the God of history (15). Moses is to remind the people of the promise he made to Abraham (17; see Genesis 15:13,14,18) to deliver them from slavery into a land of blessing.

Not only is he the God of their past, but also their God now (see Exodus 20:2). He is unchanging and everlasting and this is the basis for their faith and trust for the future. Moses has to take God at HIS word and act on the basis of what God has said and who HE is. He has to have faith.

But what does faith look like in our everyday lives? Sometimes it is about stepping out of our comfort zones and taking risks for God. Sometimes faith is the quiet and patient waiting for God as we persevere in prayer. Sometimes it's the day-to-day conversation with God, knowing HE is with you, strengthening you in "your inner being" (Eph. 3:16).

Faith looks different in each of our lives and in each situation we face, but at all times we have to take God at HIS word and act on the basis of what HE has said and who HE is.

APPLY

Reflect on your faith and trust in God for the future. How are you "taking God at HIS word" today?

PRAY

Lord, You know where my faith may be weak. Strengthen it, I pray, so I can trust You in all things.

Last edited: