DC+Porosity Control = Tangly hair?

Determined22

I read on the board that a few ladies added Porosity Control to their DC's, so I tried it today. I used the Redken Real Control mask, and added a few squirts of Porosity Control, and then applied it to my hair like a relaxer, concentrating on my ends. I DC'ed for about 20 minutes with heat.

When I rinsed in lukewarm water, my hair immediately felt hard, rough and was very tangly. :nono: Putting regular conditioner on my hair and then rinsing that didn't help. I used some PM Supercharged as a leave-in which helped, and I did my normal rollerset and saran wrap. My hair feels soft now, but detangling and rollersetting was more difficult than normal, and I think I lost more hair than normal even though I was very gentle.

So what went wrong? The tangling is making me think that my cuticle wasn't flat, and its like the Porosity Control did the opposite of what its supposed to do (smooth the cuticle). My hair was soft and smooth before I DC'ed, and then was completely different after. Any tips on how to avoid this next time (besides not using Porosity Control) or why this happened?

Last edited:

LadyZ

I don't know what happen, But I have experienced this before too... And to be honest... The Porosity Poo leaves my hair so silky, I don't want to use a moisturizing DC Afterwards...

I would like to hear what others say also...

MonPetite

Have you clarified recently?

Something may not have reacted well in the mask, PC, or both with past residue.

Also, PC control works by making cuticles lie flat. If your hair is tangly to begin with it can (though it doesn't seem to happen often) make the cuticles snap down WHILE STILL TANGLY which certainly won't help things.

I've reviewed both and they are both good products so I'm sorry this happened to you. Maybe use the mask alone first then the PC to detangle after wards? Some products just don't mix. :nono:

Bumping for you.:yep:

Determined22

Have you clarified recently?

Something may not have reacted well in the mask, PC, or both with past residue.

Also, PC control works by making cuticles lie flat. If your hair is tangly to begin with it can (though it doesn't seem to happen often) make the cuticles snap down WHILE STILL TANGLY which certainly won't help things.

I've reviewed both and they are both good products so I'm sorry this happened to you. Maybe use the mask alone first then the PC to detangle after wards? Some products just don't mix. :nono:

Bumping for you.:yep:

I clarified two weeks ago, so its possible that buildup could have been a problem. My hair was soft and tangle-free before the DC, so most likely something didn't react well.

Thanks.

LiLi

Well the Redken Real Control basically does everything that the PC does and then some. In my opinion, you do not to use anything else with it. You should chelate and try again just using the Real Control.

Also, this is why I don't mix products. Ingredients in one product could negatively affect ingredients in another product.

Either way, I hope you find the solution. :yep: