DC = Protein + Moisture

Mrs. Verde

Just curious, when you DC do you every use protein and moisturizing conditioners? Normally I use just a protein or a combination moisturizing DCs. I was thinking about combining protein and moisturizing. Does it defeat the purpose of a protein treatment if you include a moisture conditioner, too?

Evazhair

Just curious, when you DC do you every use protein and moisturizing conditioners? Normally I use just a protein or a combination moisturizing DCs. I was thinking about combining protein and moisturizing. Does it defeat the purpose of a protein treatment if you include a moisture conditioner, too?

I only use protein and moisture dcs in 2 steps. Conditioners that are moisturizing with protein act like a straight up protein treatment in my hair. This varies from person to person. If it works for you then it is a good thing, but still you should be careful to avoid protein overload. IMO it doesn't defeat the purpose, but it just depends on if it works for you.HTH

JustKiya

Sometimes I do - when I want a really 'LIGHT' protein DC. I figure the moisture is balancing it out, so it won't be as 'protein-rich' as just the protein treatment alone.

I think it's about proportions.

For a 'strong' protein DC - 1 part moist/3 parts protein
For a 'balanced protein' DC - 2 part moist/2 part protein
For a 'light' protein DC - 3 part moist/1 part protein....

SelfStyled

Not sure if it defeats the process. But my hair does not like heavy protein at all. My last DC I combined ORS hair Mayo+Humectress, and my hair really liked that.

morehairplease

Sometimes I do - when I want a really 'LIGHT' protein DC. I figure the moisture is balancing it out, so it won't be as 'protein-rich' as just the protein treatment alone.

I think it's about proportions.

For a 'strong' protein DC - 1 part moist/3 parts protein
For a 'balanced protein' DC - 2 part moist/2 part protein
For a 'light' protein DC - 3 part moist/1 part protein

thanks for sharing this Kiya! I have yet to find a moisturizing co or even a protein co for that matter but I am still on the hunt

Aggie

Some stylists mix protein and moisturizing conditioners but not often. I usually use them separately when I deep condition my own hair. If I ever mixed them, then it means that I don't have a whole lot of time on my hands to spare to do them separately.

Isis

I prefer to use mine separately. On the days I DC with protein, I use Keraphix for about 20 minutes. After rinsing, I immediately follow with a DC of a good moisturizing conditioner like Humectress or Humectin for 30-45 minutes. :)