Deep Conditioners w/o Mineral Oil

Kari107

I've been searching for a good deep conditioner but it's turned into a difficult task:dazed:. I remember reading recently that in order for a conditioner to be deep it has to say it should be left for 10+ minutes. But now it seems that most deep conditioners contain mineral oil. I did an online search and I was reading on how mineral oil acts like a "shower cap" of sorts holding in moisture and also blocking it from the hair. Also, it can clog your folicles. Most of my favorite deep conditioners such as silicon mix and nacidit olive oil have mineral oil. So these are my questions. Does any one know of a deep conditioner without mineral oil? Is mineral oil THAT bad or can one get away with using it? TIA:wave:

janeemat

Some of my best conditioners have mineral oil in them. I use a lot of Dom cond and my hair loves them. When it comes to any products for my hair, I go by the feel I get when I use them regardless of what's in them. I have used products that did not have mineral and they did nothing for my hair. Ojon cond is just one example. So if I were you, I would not stress over what's in the product, but the results you get when using them. But to answer your question, Aveda DR treatment and cond are very good products with no mineral oil.

schipperchow1

Aubrey Organics conditioners make great conditioners IMO...they don't have mineral oil.

ITA...I used AO when I was no mineral oil/no petroleum/no cones. They are excellent (GPB, Honeysuckle Rose & White Camellia are my favorites)

I recently started using products w/mineral oil (dominican conds & LeKair cholesteral) due to some of the recommendations on this board w/no adverse effects. So I no longer think that mineral oil is THAT bad. Iif you are having good to excellent results with the products that you are using that contain mineral oil, do what works for you & your hair. JMHO.

rosalindb

I love Aubrey Organics GPB for my protein treatment and have been using the Honeysuckle Rose for my moisturing treatment. I usually add JBCO and honey but this weekend I also added a little shea butter to my protein mixture and my hair loved it.

Last edited:

JustKiya

Elasta QP Intense Fortifying Moisturizing conditioner - no mineral oil, no cones, SUPER deep conditioning. It's my sure shot.

luvmesumhair

Ultra Black Hair Deep Conditioner (UBH). You have to stay under the dryer AT LEAST 20 MIN for good results. HTH

It does not have any of the bad stuff in it AT ALL!!!!

HoneyDew

The Lustrasilk Cholesterol Shea butter or Olive Oil cream conditioners are good.

I also like the Loreal Nature's Therapy moisturizing one.

Ion (from Sally's) carries some good ones for moisture and protein.

There are so many other's, as well. Many conditioners not labeled as "Deep" ones work for me as lond as I have my dryer and a plastic cap.

CurleeDST

honestly i think the avoidance of mineral oil is overrated. i have used all natural products and they did absolutely NOTHING or left my hair dry. When I use traditional products, which have mineral oil, it does my hair good. I would not stress over it.

HoneyDew

honestly i think the avoidance of mineral oil is overrated. i have used all natural products and they did absolutely NOTHING or left my hair dry. When I use traditional products, which have mineral oil, it does my hair good. I would not stress over it.

My hair does better with conditioners that do not contain mineral oil. I don't know why. I mean the ones with Mineral oil will work okay but after a while they just stop working and something just isn't quite right. I don't really get by on the "natural" products really - many of them don't work for me. But the conditioners without mineral oil and petroleum seem to work better in the long run for me. Even the ones with silicones are okay, but I try to limit them to every other condition or so.

Empress Yahudah

ORS Replenishing conditioner, Aubrey's Organics Honey Suckle Rose, Mega Tek, Miss Key SUPER 10 en 1
they dont have mineral oil my hair doesnt like it.. I use these and love em they are all penetrating

Last edited:

alwayzalady22

My hair does better with conditioners that do not contain mineral oil. I don't know why. I mean the ones with Mineral oil will work okay but after a while they just stop working and something just isn't quite right. I don't really get by on the "natural" products really - many of them don't work for me. But the conditioners without mineral oil and petroleum seem to work better in the long run for me. Even the ones with silicones are okay, but I try to limit them to every other condition or so.

ITA :yep: i use miss keys 10 en 1 as my DC specifically b/c it has no mineral oil...i love it! the first DC i bought when i got on this board was nexxus humectress, and i was never all that pleased with it, from the moment i washed it out (i would sit under the dryer for 20 mins with a plastic cap), until my next wash :ohwell: for some reason, mineral oil DCs seem to keep my hair from absorbing and retaining moisture properly, and i noticed that the FIRST time i DC'd with miss keys...even if i missed a day of moisturizing my hair, my hair would still feel really soft and moist...two days after humectress and moisturizing properly, my hair STILL would be dry :perplexed so i'm going with the no mineral oil DCs for the rest of my life! hope that helps!

Artemis

ITA :yep: i use miss keys 10 en 1 as my DC specifically b/c it has no mineral oil...i love it! the first DC i bought when i got on this board was nexxus humectress, and i was never all that pleased with it, from the moment i washed it out (i would sit under the dryer for 20 mins with a plastic cap), until my next wash :ohwell: for some reason, mineral oil DCs seem to keep my hair from absorbing and retaining moisture properly, and i noticed that the FIRST time i DC'd with miss keys...even if i missed a day of moisturizing my hair, my hair would still feel really soft and moist...two days after humectress and moisturizing properly, my hair STILL would be dry :perplexed so i'm going with the no mineral oil DCs for the rest of my life! hope that helps!

Same here! It sucks b/c I really wanted to like nexxus conditioners...keracare, and design essentials too. My daily moisturizers can have m/o in them but not my conditioners. My favorite is PM Super-charged moisturizer! It's a staple :yep: