Definition of a deep condition

krissyhair

What is your definition of a deep condition?

Use your own words and experience to answer. I want to know. Been wondering this for years.

NappyNelle

Kinky Coily 4A, Fine Strands, WSL
Darn... I wish the search was functional because there was a great thread about "deep" conditioners vs. "instant" conditioners and how to determine what was best for your needs... I will see if I can find it.

PJaye

IMO, a deep conditioner contains ingredients that will:

- Firmly attach itself to the hair follicle and/or penetrate the cuticle
- Improve the hair’s health and provide long lasting effects
- Be of a molecular size and weight that facilitates increased penetration/absorption
- Substantially affect crucial hair elements, such as moisture level, strength, porosity and elasticity

OTOH, rinse-off conditioners are only able to coat the hair shaft with large molecules and/or silicones for a short period of time as a temporary fix. For me, it’s the difference between a ho bath and a nice, long soak in the tub – one will briefly keep the funk at bay and give off the appearance of cleanliness; whereas the other offers a deeper, more hygienic and longer lasting level of cleanliness for an extended period of time.

nlamr2013

From what I've been seeking in my research to make my own conditioner it seem really dc just has some oils, some cationic compounds, cones, fatty alcohol, hydrolyzed proteins, and vit b5. People say the particles are smaller but I haven't checked that info

DoDo

Big Hair, Don't Care
Instant conditioners tend to contain: Silicone, various oils that do not penetrate hair, and conditioning salts (such as behentrimonium chloride, stearylkonium chloride, centrimonium chloride) that improve manageability and softness by attaching to the surface of the hair cuticle.

Deep conditioners tend to in addition contain: Hydrolyzed keratin, collagen, soy, oat, wheat, silk proteins to name a few; as well as amino acids, silk peptides, conditioning oils that penetrate the hair ( coconut, olive, avocado etc), and often manufacturers will include heavier silicones like dimethicone. Indie companies tend to add things like avocado butter, shea butter etc, for a thicker product.

The former is to add manageability to the hair after a shampoo session. Some people also enjoy using these as co-wash cleansers especially when they are silicone free. They can also be used as light detanglers.

The latter is to increase strength and elasticity as well as add manageability. People tend to leave these in for at least 30 minutes with heat for best results. The idea is to condition from the inside out in a manner of speaking. The deep conditioners tend to contain ingredients that penetrate the cuticle. This is called adsorbing and it is more efficiently done when heat is applied using body heat, a hooded dryer, a steamer, a thermal cap etc.

HTH!

Last edited:

FoxxyLocs

I look for oils, butters, and some sort of light protein or amino acids in my DC. Also it's a thicker product than a rinse out conditioner.

I don't even buy rinse out conditioners anymore. I DC with every wash.

claud-uk

It is my understanding that instant/rinse off conditioners contain ingredients that provide slip and manageability after shampoo/cleansing, help to make the hair feel smooth and ease the detangling process. They mostly act on the surface of the hair.

Deep conditioners contain ingredients that actually penetrate the hair down to the cortex to repair and reconstruct. Usually these are some form of protein, where the molecules are small enough to penetrate the hair strand, eg. Silk Amino Acids, and any protein that contains the word "hydrolysed", that penetrate and remain after the wash process.

Silicone molecules are too large to penetrate the strand, they literally act/sit on the surface. They are included simply to aid with feel (helping hair feel silky), and ease of brushing/combing. I do not think the type of silicone, whether light or heavy, has a bearing on whether it makes a conditioner "regular/instant" or "deep".

I believe that aDsorbtion (sp) is the ability to stick to a surface, and aBsorption the ability to penetrate, but I am ready to be corrected.

In summary, a deep conditioner is defined by the inclusion of penetrative and repairing ingredients (hydrolysed proteins) in the top of the ingredients list, not by how long the product is left on the hair or whether heat is used.

Last edited:

krissyhair

I'm surprised everyone so far focused on the ingredients of the product and not the technique.

I'm glad I asked to describe in your own words.

Rocky91

NYE side boob.
I'm surprised everyone so far focused on the ingredients of the product and not the technique. I'm glad I asked to describe in your own words.
That actually makes sense to me. Suave conditioners can be 1) applied like a relaxer to my whole head 2) steamed in 3) used with a heating cap 4) left on overnight 5) prayed over.... And my hair still wouldn't feel as good as it does with just 10 minutes in the shower with a good penetrating masque.

IDareT'sHair

PJ Rehabilitation Center
My definition is a Conditioner whose molecular composition is small enough to penetrate the Hair's Cortex etc....

Anything that says: Deep, Treatment, Mask, Penetrating, Intensive, Restorative that requires that you leave it in anywhere from 20-60 minutes and 'preferably' with a Heat Source.

discodumpling

In addition to the ingredients I would say that the addition of heat makes it a DC. Body heat, wrapping a towel, going under the dryer etc. It's my belief that the heat "activates" the DC.

missliberia

IMO, a deep conditioner contains ingredients that will:

- Firmly attach itself to the hair follicle and/or penetrate the cuticle
- Improve the hair’s health and provide long lasting effects
- Be of a molecular size and weight that facilitates increased penetration/absorption
- Substantially affect crucial hair elements, such as moisture level, strength, porosity and elasticity

OTOH, rinse-off conditioners are only able to coat the hair shaft with large molecules and/or silicones for a short period of time as a temporary fix. For me, it’s the difference between a ho bath and a nice, long soak in the tub – one will briefly keep the funk at bay and give off the appearance of cleanliness; whereas the other offers a deeper, more hygienic and longer lasting level of cleanliness for an extended period of time.

Girl you are a trip! Well said all around.

IDareT'sHair

PJ Rehabilitation Center
My definition is a Conditioner whose molecular composition is small enough to penetrate the Hair's Cortex etc....

Anything that says: Deep, Treatment, Mask, Penetrating, Intensive, Restorative that requires that you leave it in anywhere from 20-60 minutes and 'preferably' with a Heat Source.

I also left out the word: Repairative as an additional term used in most DC'ing Treatments.

These terms are letting you know they are suppose to do what most Instants & R/O's can't do.

That they are designed to go above and beyond.

claud-uk

I'm surprised everyone so far focused on the ingredients of the product and not the technique.

I'm glad I asked to describe in your own words.

To answer your original question krissyhair, I think a lot of it is psychological too: I'm sure most ladies would agree that regular conditioners are there to be used and abused, quickly dismissed if they don't perform as expected, throw it on in the shower while washing then rinse away and not worry about the cost, whereas we are much more willing to put in the time and effort to get a DC to work for us, by adding oils etc., steaming it in or donning a heating cap to increase the benefits/effectiveness, spending time researching and reading reviews, apply it using the relaxer method lol

Also with a DC it feels like you actually did something; a rinse-out conditioner barely registers.

Last edited:

havilland

Magical Mythical Princess
Conditioner has to have Penetrating ingredients

I consider the Reparative ability of the product.

Deep treatments require time IMO. They can't be successfully accomplished in under twenty minutes.

Deep treatments change my hair for the better in the long term. They don't provide a short term fix that washes away in one shampoo.