DESPERATE: Self Relaxers please help

chayil0427

Hey ladies

I made another attempt at self relaxing last night with silk elements reg lye. Well it was better than the last, but I still have some spots that feel like relaxer never touched them, and I was over lapping like crazy. Please post ANY and ALL information you have about self relaxing. One more overlapped underproccess relaxer and I think I'll shave my head!!!

Chayil

Softresses

I am so sorry that the process is not going well for you so far. Hopefully we can get you fixed up. I will post you how I do my texturizer, the difference in it and relaxing will be the amount of time you leave it in and if you smooth or comb it to get it bone straight. There are many great relaxer/texturizer routines on the board. Southerngirlz is one that comes to mind. I am sure there will be more replies later today as well.:)

(From on old post on relaxing that I responded to):

Hi Everyone!

I am at just below BSL and have done my own relaxers for YEARS!

I make four sections, since my hair is so thick I have to divide each of those sections in half.

I do a loose two strand twist with each of those sections, (making sure that the newgrowth itself is not twisted) put nutralizer shampoo on the ends (to ensure that it is not effected by any accidental overlap) and secure. I then start to put in my relaxer on one twist at a time starting with where I have my tightest curls (front,middle). I do not take down the twist before I apply the relaxer
. The twists are very loose and secured only on the end loosely with ouchless bands. I work reallly carefully and fast. (You could say I only texturize.)

Once I have finished applying relaxer to the new growth, I take down the loose twists,
(this method really works to keep from getting the relaxer on the ends and to keep longer hair from tangling if you are doing it by yourself). I shed very little hair applying it this way.

I then nutralize shampoo until all the "pink" has turned white and then do it once or twice more (yes, I am paranoid). Then I condition.

I hope some of this will help.

Softresses,

AKA-Tude

Guurrll,
I know how you feel!!!

I overcame this by making sure I have EVERYTHING I need in front of me- including 2 mirrors (one in front-one behind). This will help to not overlap so much.

Then proceed to TAKE YOUR TIME!!!

The parts where it feels like you didn't relax at all- start there.
It could be that you are like me-different textures of hair in different places. My 'tough-to-relax' hair is at the crown, then goes down the back of my head. So I start at the top then go on down the back, making sure to spend most of my smoothing time in these areas.

Then I do the sides and front because they take less time to process.

Try this and I hope it works for you!