DEV Jam-Re: frequent rinsing

Mahalialee4

Do you still do this and do you have any results to share about those who followed through on this type of regime? /images/graemlins/wink.gif I remember you from one of the old boards and you got fast growth with this method. Please reply and thank you. Bonjour.

Tara

I'm not Dev, and I haven't seen her on this board...but....

Because of her I started the frequent rinsing. This was back in the BHSGO Super Research Queen Days, and she was one of them. In fact she was one of the first that started the whole jherri curl juice thing too.

I started rinsing daily and I must say this was when I had started my "do what the guys do" (which is to cornrow it and leave it alone) routine, and I have to say, my hair started to feel better.

It *seemed* like my hair did have a growth spurt but this was in summer and I wasn't measuring so....but I do know that every time I went in to be braided my hair dresser would notice how much bigger my hair was getting each time. I didn't tell her I was rinsing daily because she still believes that "too much water is bad". /images/graemlins/wink.gif

But for me the results have been, and still are fanstastic.

HTH

CICI24

Hi Tara,
How long have you been doing the braiding/rinsing daily regime? I too have had good growth from doing this, last spring I grew 3/4 in in a week. I gave up on the press and curl thing and have been in braids without extensions and I rinse daily I think I will redo them every 4 weeks.

Mahalialee4

Are you a shower only rinser or do you rinse in the sink? I got a new massaging shower head for Christmas and it is installed in my shower. I was just wondering how effective you feel rinsing your hair under the sink tap is? And also, are you achieving length as obviously as thickness> Thankyou. Bonjour. /images/graemlins/smirk.gif

Tara

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
Mahalialee4 said:
Are you a shower only rinser or do you rinse in the sink? I got a new massaging shower head for Christmas and it is installed in my shower. I was just wondering how effective you feel rinsing your hair under the sink tap is? And also, are you achieving length as obviously as thickness&gt; Thankyou. Bonjour. /images/graemlins/smirk.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Girl, Detachable shower heads are wonderfuyl aren't they? They make rinsing your hair SO much easier, than having to be a point ballerina and twirl around hoping you get all the (back in the day) shampoo out.

I can't rinse in the sink, I've always rinsed my hair in the shower, when I shower. Um, in 01 (I think) I really got a lot of length plus thickness. I wasn't picture taking back then but when stretched it was longer than I was used to. Because I don't flat iron my hair, my hair getting "big" is an indication of length to me. I really wish I had blow dried it back then though because then I could have REALLy seen, but such is life (sigh,lol). But I don't measure my hair, and didn't then, so I can't say how quicky it was growing, but it *seemed* at the time to be growing fast.

I think the key is really just making sure the hair is moisturized, which prevents dryness, which in turn (hopefully) will prevent any breakage. I think my hair was so happy to be finally getting moisture that it really thrived and I notice a dramatic change from the shape that it was in before.

Now I am at peg 1 just because I got some highlights, and got lazy.....with the moisture. So I think if you rinse under tap, you should be fine, but above all, even if you can't rinse daily, if you moisturize daily, you should be fine.

HTH

Tara

Well, I did this in '01 for like 8 months, and my hair improved dramatically. I had thin ends etc. and so I incorporated getting some deep conditioning in there as well. I think the daily rinsing helped with keeping the moisture level up though.

Then I went and got hightlights, and got lazy.....so now what I do is:

Keep my hair cornrowed for two weeks and then have one week off, then get rebraided again. While in cornrows I rinse and condition in the shower, and moisturize daily.

This has really been helping me to get my hair back into shpe. I've noticed my hair is not dry like it was in '02. Since I am still in the grow out phase, I feel like this year my hair is growing slowly.....Maybe because all these highlights are not GONE yet. So I'm hoping with care to get it as big as it was before.

I got inspired to follow this routine because of men in my area, and the men I've seen on t.v. From a scientific standpoint, a man's hair grows SLOWER than a woman's. But we see plenty of black men with LOOONG hair. And many of the black men we see with long, thick hair are not mixed and have 4b hair. Most of the guys I know achieved this growth by:

1. Keeping their hair cornrowed
2. Most of the guys I know rinse their heads in the shower daily, sometimes twice a day depending on how often they take a shower.
3. They leave it alone. Moisturize it with some sort of sta sof fro or just grease and leave it alone.

Now that I think about it, about the shower rinsing, I don't know if its the moisture PLUS scalp stimulation of it, but I've know guys who started with the BALD head look and within months had enough hair to braid, then had shoulder length cornrows in as little as 6 - 8 months. So maybe there is something to it.

Lil' Bow Wow is my hair-inspiration!! LOL!

So that's when I decided to just leave my hair alone. The first time I did the cornrow, rinse, and moisturize my hair was coming along nicely. I think that if I had not gotten my hightlights, it's possible that I could have been at bra strap by now. But I had to "reward" myself, AND be lazy...LOL!!

As I go along, I keep you posted on how I progress. I consdier that I "re-started" my hair growth mission in August of '02. So far it's going well.

The only downside to this routine is, it gets boring. But I figure I'll sacrafice "cute styles" now for "great hair" later.

HTH /images/graemlins/blush.gif Now that I done wrote a book! LOL! /images/graemlins/grin.gif