Did you BC early?

AJellyCake

Did you have a goal for when you BCed but decided to chop earlier?

I was planning on going 2 years when I first started, and then decided I might BC at the end of this year to start 2013 fresh. Recently though, I've been getting so frustrated with this hair that I might BC this summer or sooner.

If you BCed early, what was your reasoning behind grabbing the scissors? And how was the chop and newly natural hair?

TIA!

momi

I did - only after a 6 month transition.. maybe less but its been so long I can't remember. If I had to do it all over I would have waited because my hair was dry and crunchy. I've recently BC'd again but only because the majority of my hair was heat damaged... while it is a little longer than my first go around - the major difference is that I now have at least some idea of what to do with natural hair.

MissAlinaRose

I originally wanted to transition for about 6-8 months but I ended up shaving my head. I just felt starting all the way over was best for me and I wanted to experience the clean slate. It's definitely not for the faint of heart though. My fade was incredibly easy and through research the growing out phase went pretty smooth.

To be honest, I would not have had my experience any other way and I have enjoyed my hair at each state...naked head to now.

Charla

I thought I was gonna pull a Nina Pruitt but instead chopped at less than 3 months post! I don't regret the swiftness at all!

I did it early because in the middle of doing my hair, I asked myself why I was working so hard to preserve hair that I was going to eventually chop off anyway..so I got to chopping. Eventually I let the barber clean it up. I loved...love my natural hair...even when we have our issues!:lol:

KurlyNinja

I was going to go 18 months but only did 12. Im glad I didn't wait. I loved my hair even though it looked short.

thehappyserver

When I first decided to go natural (this past february), I started reading up on transitioning while I was already about 3 months post relaxer, and decided that I would transition for six months to a year. I didn't even last a week before running to the salon and begging them to do my BC lol. I just couldn't wait to see my natural hair. So far, I have no regrets!

whiteoleander91

stay at your best ♥
I chopped a bit early. I had planned on at least transitioning for a full year (I had more like...14/15 months in mind) and cut a few days before the year was up lol. Like 5 days. Meh.

youwillrise

i chopped at 4 months post...planned on going longer...i think a year and a half or so was the goal, but the itch came early and i...scratched it.

SavannahNatural

I BC'd early. I was shooting for a year long transition, or until my hair hung down to about APL. I didn't want to deal with a TWA, and I wasn't sure I was going to wear my hair in it's natural state. I was pretty sure I was going to straighten it regularly.

However after being able to truly focus on this site and reading the many testimonies of the women I found that waiting for my hair to be a certain length was allowing my hair to be a bigger force in my life than I was willing to let it be. I grabbed some scissors, handed them to my sister and told her to cut all the straight pieces. It was quite liberating, and I feel that I didn't only help myself, but I also was able to show my sister that hair is just hair.

Healthy hair is better than broken strands hanging and rubbing against my shoulders!

CurlsBazillion

I wanted to get my hair to the same length as my relaxed hair (Full SL) and I assumed that would take a year. I ended up finding a picture of a member here and I just started cutting and after three cuts I was natural. I wasn't consistent with pictures but I think this picture was in September which was 3 months after my BC. I really jumped the gun :lol:

Attachments

• 2010 protein overload that gave me a fro.jpeg
    2010 protein overload that gave me a fro.jpeg
    235.9 KB · Views: 58

diadall

MissAlinaRose said:
I originally wanted to transition for about 6-8 months but I ended up shaving my head. I just felt starting all the way over was best for me and I wanted to experience the clean slate. It's definitely not for the faint of heart though. My fade was incredibly easy and through research the growing out phase went pretty smooth.

To be honest, I would not have had my experience any other way and I have enjoyed my hair at each state...naked head to now.

That's what I call a real big chop.

MyAngelEyez~C~U

I chopped at 8 months vs 18 months simply because I hated how my hair looked, and I was impatient to be natural. I didn't want to keep putting heat on it, and I was and still am style challenged,

Last edited:

manter26

I planned to transition 18 months and made it 5. I was too eager to see my natural hair. I chopped little bits and pieces all over and it was just time to do my whole head. I think it would have been better to go a little longer so my ends were protected and I had more to work with but I lived.

geejay

I meant to go 18 months, I chopped at one year. I was burning with a curiosity that could not be denied. It was probably shorter than I was most comfortable, but I rocked it like it was hot :)

BookGal84

I thought I was gonna pull a Nina Pruitt but instead chopped at less than 3 months post! I don't regret the swiftness at all!

I did it early because in the middle of doing my hair, I asked myself why I was working so hard to preserve hair that I was going to eventually chop off anyway..so I got to chopping. Eventually I let the barber clean it up. I loved...love my natural hair...even when we have our issues!:lol:

I feel exactly the same way right now. I'm planning to transition 2 years and I just crossed the 18-month mark. Getting a little antsy and thinking about just letting these scraggly ends go....

HighAspirations

I did it after two months. Dealing with two textures just wasn't working for me. I figured what's the hold and just chopped it off. I knew immediately it was the right thing. Now I can begin my natural hair journey and my twa is already thriving. It pays to be impressively impatient sometimes.
The only thing I wish is that I had more hair, but it will grow *shrugs* of length is an issue or your unsure you should wait

loved

I planned to go 18 months like one of my BFFs, but my hair looked ridiculous after 4 months. I was wearing hats, scarves, and wigs whenever I left the house. I decided that I'd rather wear my short natural hair than continue to deal with the extreme difference in the 2 textures. I love the freedom & look of my BC.

melisandre

My last relaxer was in Oct 2010. The next month, Nov 2010, I basically big chopped. I had very little new growth, so I should have shaved my head. (I didn't want to go to the barber shop. :lol: Plus my family discouraged me from shaving it off. :ohwell:) So I ended up using scissors, which meant I still had some relax ends left (I couldn't cut low enough). In May 2011 I did a second big chop to get rid of what relaxed ends were left.

I did it this way, because my first time natural I transitioned for 1 year using braids. This time, I did not want to wait an entire year to go natural. I wanted my natural hair back now. :lol:

ETA: I also wanted a different experience this time around. I never got to have a TWA afro before. I loved that part. It looks so chic.

Last edited:

LoveTheSkinImIn

I don't think I had a specific length of transition in mind. I was mentally tricking myself by just saying I was going to go as long as I could without a relaxer and see where it got me. I made it to 9 months and chopped.

bibs

My goal was 18 months but I got so caught up in watching BC videos on YT and so fed up with my weak relaxed ends that I BCd at 4 months post. I'm glad I did it though, because I got to enjoy my curls longer.

Golden75

#NOMOREHAIRPRODUCTS
I chopped early, I wanted to transition for about 1-2 years, but my hair was not having that, BC'd after 7 months

NikkiQ

My original plan was to transition for 18 month and then once my now DH proposed, I said I would just wait until after the wedding. Who the HELL was I kidding??? :lol:

10 months into my transition, I couldn't take it anymore. Planning a wedding on your own and dealing with 2 different textures was enough to drive me to drink (which I kinda did :look: what?) so I just decided I'm gonna end up wearing wigs and sew-ins anyway...and chopped one day after work.

I don't regret it at all b/c dealing with one (or two) textures is WAY easier than having to deal with relaxed ends that were breaking and popping off anyway.

Darenia

Yea...I chopped early at 1 yr. I had planned on going 18-24 mos.

It was an emotional decision to be honest. I had chopped my hair off at least three other times and grew it back with no problem and each time I cut do to stress. I am an emotional chopper.:ohwell:

lux10023

i bc'd a couple weeks ago..my hair is thick so i couldnt even imagine having to deal with two diff textures...
i wanted to start from scratch...so no transitioning

i love my lil twa...so easy to maintain...water and a lil conditioner and my curls are in heaven...
i wear a lf so i enjoy my twa and surprisingly dh does too..he luvs the smells of the diff conditioners...i use.. :)

NappyNelle

Kinky Coily 4A, Fine Strands, WSL
I chopped early because I was just ready. I'm glad I did.

My initial goal was a 2-year transition; I chopped at 15 months.

naturalmanenyc

I thought about doing the BC early but I just could not picture myself with short hair. I did a mini chop but still kept my hair past my shoulders. I transitioned from relaxed to natural for 24 months (104 weeks). My hair is shorter when I wash it (shrinkage) but I tend to wear it in stretched styles like braid outs.