Difference between castor oil and Jamaican Black Castor oil

Discussion in 'Hair Care Tips & Product Review Discussion' started by VirtuousBeauty, Apr 23, 2010.

1. VirtuousBeauty

VirtuousBeauty New Member

After looking around through different posts on the site i've decided buy different types of oils, EVOO, Jojoba, and Castor.

I noticed that there are products that say Castor oil and black castor oil. What is the difference? Is one better than the other?

2. curlicarib

curlicarib Lovin'' All of Me

Bumping.........

I'd like to know too.

3. suburbanbushbabe

suburbanbushbabe New Member

The smell. JBCO has a distinct odor. It's nutty, but I got a bottle that is very strong smelling. If I leave it in my hair (which I do) I can smell it. Regular castor oil (Home Health or Palma Christi) doesn't smell much.

4. westNDNbeauty

westNDNbeauty Well-Known Member

beyond the smell...are there any other differences?

5. *crystal*

*crystal* New Member

Jamaican Black Castor oil is unrefined. It has Silica, and Magnesium, and ash still in it. That's what is supposed to thicken the hair, and that's the reason for the smell. Some of the ladies here will seal with the Home Health Castor Oil, but the mineral concentration isn't the same. It's like white vs whole wheat bread.

TLC1020 likes this.
  6. halee_J

halee_J Well-Known Member

I use the regular castor oil from the pharmacy (I'm assuming this is the processed one, cause it has no smell) and I find it thickens my hair.

7. almondjoi85

almondjoi85 New Member

I like the comparison to white and wheat bread. Jamaican Black Castor oil is unrefined and many find that it works better than other Castor oils.

I know we all use it for hair care but did you know this? "Jamaican Black Castor Oil is traditionally used by women to help expel afterbirth wastes, thus helping to reduce stomach size after pregnancy. Older folks traditionally recommended the use of castor oil to induce labor during pregnancy. However, because large doses of castor oil can be lethal, we do not recommend using it to induce labor or expelling afterbirth waste without consulting a competent medical practitioner." Interesting huh?

8. Tene

Tene New Member

I've used both when I was relaxed and as a natural and the only difference to me were the color and smell. I actually like the regular castor oil better.

9. Jas123

Jas123 S Lovely... Purveyor of Loveliness

i get mine from the health food store, it's not brown like jbco but it's beige unlike the drug store which is white or clear... also mine is unrefined/cold pressed, no pesticides and hexane free... so it pretty close to natural as i can get w/o having to order