DIY BKT I need you help!

Wanderland

So yesterday I finished applying Global Keratin BKT treatment for the first time and I'm not getting the expected results of shiny swanging hair.

This is what I've done so far:
Clarified: 2x with Keracare 1st later and 1x Global Keratin clarifying poo
Blowdried Hair with handheld blowdryer 100% (went to sleep after this step)
Applied 2 oz of treatment. I let the treatment sit in my hair 20 minutes.
Blowdried hair to 100%. At this point my hair was sticky and heavy with treatment and very hair to get it completely dry.
Flat-ironed treatment with Chi flatiron,(not the silk) used techniques such as "tapping" the roots straight and chasing the comb, went over each piece 6-10's.
Wrapped and went to sleep

My hair now feels...ok. It feels coated (which it is I'm sure), but feels slightly tacky to the touch, well not tacky but really coated. I was expected bling, and it looks a bit dull to me. And the swang I was expecting is not there, it has some swing, but no swang. I got major swang and shine when I used chi silk infusion with SE megasilk and this doesn't come close. My hair feels and looks like a week old flat iron to me. I am missing something? I have no idea what I could be doing wrong. Will it better better after the wash?

ANY advice is appreciated.

ETA: Description was not clear, I didn't use Chi silk infusion, I flatironed with a Chi flatiron.

Last edited:

naturalmanenyc

I am not a DIY and I had the Lasio one day treatment done; however, with the global keratin you have to be careful to not apply too much. The videos show the stylist combing off the extra treatment and putting it back in the bowl.

Also, the video says you need to flat iron 8 - 10 times at 430 degress up to 450 degrees, until the smoke clears.

hothair

Hiya, you only need a very small amount. Immediately after the treatment, my hair (and my sis') was definitely "coated", it may not be swanging because of the amount of BKT in it, but I wouldn't worry about that until after the first wash mine wasn't very shiny till then.

ETA: deleted

Last edited:

AtlantaJJ

I'm not sure I would have added the CHI to my treatment either, I think it might be best to stick with the products as recommended. I am sure it will be better with your next wash.

Brave woman, you must show pictures.

Are you relaxed or natural?

bellezanegra826

Part of the problem may have been that you didn't follow the directions. You were supposed to blow dry your hair only 80% dry on medium heat, apply the treatment like a perm and then blow dry it 100% dry. You went to sleep after you blowdried your hair, so even if you didn't blow dry it 100%, you allowed it to dry completely. The 2 oz that you applied sounds like it should have been the right amount b/c the instructions say that you need about 2-3 oz for shoulder length hair. I'm not sure what you can do at this point, maybe it will be better after you wash it, but it is soooooooooo important for you to follow the directions to the T if you want to get the results that everyone else is getting.

sheba1

Good luck, Wanderland! I say, just wait til the first wash. Feeling coated is not a big deal at first. It should feel less and less coated the closer it gets to the first wash and not nearly as much so after the first wash.

I do worry that the Chi does not get quite hot enough. I've read that it should be 410 to 430 for afro kinky hair and 450 for all other hair types. Do you have a friend that has an iron that gets to the recommended heat setting for your hair type? I would probably run through it with one to make certain the product bonds properly.

Also, unless I read it wrong, I'm thinking you did not use chi serum along with the treatment, right? You were just making reference to how your hair felt the last time you used chi silk infusion?

I wish you well. Keep us posted.

Wanderland

First I would like to thank everyone for replying!!!:grin: Also I clarified in the OP but I did not use Chi Silk infusions but used a Chi flatiron.

Part of the problem may have been that you didn't follow the directions. You were supposed to blow dry your hair only 80% dry on medium heat, apply the treatment like a perm and then blow dry it 100% dry. You went to sleep after you blowdried your hair, so even if you didn't blow dry it 100%, you allowed it to dry completely. The 2 oz that you applied sounds like it should have been the right amount b/c the instructions say that you need about 2-3 oz for shoulder length hair. I'm not sure what you can do at this point, maybe it will be better after you wash it, but it is soooooooooo important for you to follow the directions to the T if you want to get the results that everyone else is getting.

Belle, your right! But different instructions say different things. I watched the Global Keratin Video and it does say to blowdry to only 80% then apply treatment, but the written instructions that came with the BKT said to blowdry to 100% with high heat, then 100% on med heat after treatment. The discrepancy may have made a difference though:wallbash:, because at 80% dry there are still some H20 molecules filling spaces on your hair, and the treatment would be thinned some.

I'm all for DIY and I'm not putting you down for trying, but there are some things that should be left to a professional.
Quest I totally agree. I still go to my stylist for major chemical treatments because I cant move nearly as fast as her, or even see what I'm doing:yep:. I thought/was hoping BKT would be different:look:. I see it as a souped up/complicated hair treatment. Applying it was actually not bad at all, I could take my time, etc. Maybe I should have had a professional do it once so I could see/feel the correct results and then try to replicate it:perplexed.

Ah we live and learn.
Btw I'm relaxed maybe 12-13 wks post (not sure I don't count but relax based on how manageable/unmanageable my hair is). I was doing BKT to attempt to stretch longer.

sheba1

Also, don't feel bad for giving it a go, on your own. I've decided that I will do my own because I feel that I am the only one that cares enough to pay very special attention. And there have been several bkt diyers with great results, as of late. So I can see why you've done it yourself. Good luck. Find a hot iron today to properly bond the treatment, ya here?

Wanderland

Also, don't feel bad for giving it a go, on your own. I've decided that I will do my own because I feel that I am the only one that cares enough to pay very special attention. And there have been several bkt diyers with great results, as of late. So I can see why you've done it yourself. Good luck. Find a hot iron today to properly bond the treatment, ya here?

Thanks Sheba I just did some internet research and found that the Chi only gets to 370 degrees. So I do need to find something hotter...I just don't know where, all of my girlfriends in the city still use Gold N' Hot!

hothair

Thanks Sheba I just did some internet research and found that the Chi only gets to 370 degrees. So I do need to find something hotter...I just don't know where, all of my girlfriends in the city still use Gold N' Hot!

Get the FHI! I used that for myself and my sis and the great advantage is that you can adjust the temperature...

naturalmanenyc

I thought about doing it myself....but I have a maxiglide that only gets up to 430 degrees (or maybe less depending on which website I check).

sheba1

Get the FHI! I used that for myself and my sis and the great advantage is that you can adjust the temperature...

This is what I've got, too, Hot Hair! Good to know that I'm on the right track. Hey, did you turn it all the way to 450? Or did you use a lower temp when you bkt'd?

Dove56

So yesterday I finished applying Global Keratin BKT treatment for the first time and I'm not getting the expected results of shiny swanging hair.

This is what I've done so far:
Clarified: 2x with Keracare 1st later and 1x Global Keratin clarifying poo
Blowdried Hair with handheld blowdryer 100% (went to sleep after this step)
Applied 2 oz of treatment. I let the treatment sit in my hair 20 minutes.
Blowdried hair to 100%. At this point my hair was sticky and heavy with treatment and very hair to get it completely dry.
Flat-ironed treatment with Chi flatiron,(not the silk) used techniques such as "tapping" the roots straight and chasing the comb, went over each piece 6-10's.
Wrapped and went to sleep

My hair now feels...ok. It feels coated (which it is I'm sure), but feels slightly tacky to the touch, well not tacky but really coated. I was expected bling, and it looks a bit dull to me. And the swang I was expecting is not there, it has some swing, but no swang. I got major swang and shine when I used chi silk infusion with SE megasilk and this doesn't come close. My hair feels and looks like a week old flat iron to me. I am missing something? I have no idea what I could be doing wrong. Will it better better after the wash?

ANY advice is appreciated.

ETA: Description was not clear, I didn't use Chi silk infusion, I flatironed with a Chi flatiron.

I just did my BKT this weekend (My Fotki is updated with pics) and my hair felt "coated" after the final blowdry. After I flatironed though that "coated" feeling disappeared. I bought a new flatiron to do mine because I have a Chi Ultra without adjustable settings. I think if you get a hotter flatiron you'll be just fine. Your hair will be SUPER SHINY after you wash it out! :yep:

yodie

Congrats on trying this treatment yourself. Definitely pat yourself on the back for that one.

I think Sheba1 gave you great advice. Seems like you only need a hotter iron and I'm sure everything will adjust after that first wash.

Can you get an inexpensive iron that reaches 450 from your nearest BSS? FHI may be out of the budget right now, so get what you can afford and give it another go.

Wanderland

****Update*****

Ok first I want to admit that I did NOT buy a hotter flatiron. I know! I just couldn't afford it, and all of my friends had original Chi's.

It's abut 4-5 days later and I finally washed out the treatment and redid my hair. End result is shiny, soft, heavier hair. I still don't have the swang that I'm used to, but I think its because I added too much product before flat-ironing.

I've notice that flat ironing is MUCH faster, and I can get away with waayyy less heat, one swipe got me completely straight. Also my hair feels "moist" which is great, and because of that I didn't have to rewet each piece before flatironing (I do wet-to-dry technique).

Overall I'm pleased and would definitely do it again (with the right tools next time).

sheba1

Wanderland that's greeeeat! Girlfriend, I was :pray: for you and your hair :yep: I just wanted you to be ok. I saw a ceramic flat iron that got up to 450 degrees in the bss once for $12! I didn't buy it because it had no temp control and 450 is a loooot of heat. But it might be a good bet for someone that just needs an iron for bkt treatments. *shrug* Here's the original message:

Ok, so I was at the BSS today and I decided to take a gander at the flat irons. Not really considering picking one up (I'm leaning towards Sally's Chi knock off), but I wanted to see what they had, all the same. The following iron (see below) caught my eye because of the statement on the box, "100% solid ceramic plates".

Funny thing is, not even the Chi knockoff at Sally's (which Honeydew has brought to our attention is actually the FHI 207RVI, going up to 410 degrees) can boast such claims.

I am so tempted to try it. It goes up to 400 degrees. It has solid ceramic plates. It's less than $13.00 with tax. What do you think, folks? Worthy experiment? Or am I just asking for trouble?

^^^ Click to go to the original message for a pic of the iron. I ended up buying the FHI because I got it for nearly the same price as the Sally's version.

ETA: oopsy, this one doesn't go to 450 but I've seen others at the bss that do with ceramic plates

Last edited:

Wanderland

Thank you Sheba, I could tell you were definitely rooting for me:kiss:. That flat-iron does seem like a great idea. I could reserve it for doing BKT:scratchch hmm thats a good idea

yodie

Glad it turned out okay. I think saving the 450 degree flat iron for BKT is a great idea. You've invested the time and money for the product, why not treat yourself to this last tool to get the outcome you want. Ask your family for donations. (smile). Either way, you'll get there.