Do Ceramic flat irons damage your hair?

levette

I thought about this as I flat ironed my hair for the umpteenth time. I use the ion flat iron spray as a protectant but I see smoke when I flat iron my hair on temp 370. I am so addicted to my solia flat iron that it is unreal . Right now I am flat ironing my hair about 2x a month. My hair seems okay but I'm not sure if I can keep flatironing my hair as I have been. Right now I am at week 11 post relaxer and I can barely comb my new growth. I flat iron my hair now to wear it straight as I am trying to make it to 14 weeks.

ChocoKitty

I think it depends on how they are made. My first pair of ceramic irons were by Jibere (sp?) They worked for a while but then they eventually began to fry my hair. I believe it's because they were really metal irons coated with creamic.

Now I own T3s and I believe they're "pure" ceramic. I don't use any type of heat protectant and my hair comes out perfect with no heat damage or dryness. I straighten at least twice a month and I'm natural.

Hope this makes sense.:perplexed

goldensensation

I know all about the addiction. :ohwell:

My first ceramic flat iron was a coated one and I didnt know it. It was by hot tools. Anyway, one of my friends told me that she flat ironed with coconut oil and it got her hair really straight. I did the same and boy, do I regret it. I didnt know that ceramics caused damage, so I flat ironed with coconut oil and had the flat iron on high. My hair was looking lovely for a few months but it thinned out and started to break. This near the end of 2004.

Early this year I got my Sedu. It is the real deal and I love it. Since 2004, I've learned not to fry my hair with oil so I use the best heat protectants (frizz solutions ion straight or Nexxus Heat Protexx)... but up until a couple of months ago, I was still flat ironing on one of the highest settings. That is a no-no and will cause damage regardless of whether or not your iron is ceramic. Since, I've learned that I can flat iron my hair pretty good on 270 somethin' degrees and it comes out about 95% straight.

As long as you deep condition, moisturize, limit your usage to 2X per month AND decrease the heat settings, your damage should be minimal.

inthepink

ChocoKitty said:
I think it depends on how they are made. My first pair of ceramic irons were by Jibere (sp?) They worked for a while but then they eventually began to fry my hair. I believe it's because they were really metal irons coated with creamic.

Now I own T3s and I believe they're "pure" ceramic. I don't use any type of heat protectant and my hair comes out perfect with no heat damage or dryness. I straighten at least twice a month and I'm natural.

Hope this makes sense.:perplexed

ChocoKitty - Which specific T3 do you own? What temperature setting do you use?

RabiaElaine

I think they can as any other heating tool can if you use them too often.

Personally I would make sure that your ceramic is truly ceramic and not coated. I own a chi and have no problems with it. I have cut back on heat all together lately though. I plan to buy a heat protectant for the few times I plan to use heat.

Since you are stretching try only flatironing your roots and leave the ends alone (assuming you rollerset your hair, which should get the ends straight). This will reduce abuse on your ends.