Do phony ponies damage hair??

Ladyhenri

I would be very grateful for some insight on this one.
I have been taking a close look at my regimen to try and isolate the cause of my thin ends. i use a phony pony that is only attached with large hair pins, and my ends are baggied in oil underneath.

I wash, DC and comb once a week. Before i barely used to comb and by touch up day, my hair was a used mess and i lost tons of hair.... but now i detangle every week...no matter how many hairs i loose....i do find some broken hairs (which terrify me) but its mostly shed hairs.
I will be trimming from APL but it worries me that since i joined on here i've always been in a protective style about 98% of the time and yet my ends dont look good...and perhaps its just me, but i feel when i joined LHCF, my ends were more even.
Pls give suggestions....I want my hair to be long but i also want it to be long and thick, and i realise that if i dont correct whatever is wrong with my regimen, the thinning may worsen.

Do you guys think the thining is from my pre-lhcf overprocessed hair or from the baggy? Has anyone experienced hair thinning at the ends? what was the cause and what did you do about it? (Only the last 3inches of my hair seem to be thinning out.. the first inches from my scalp seem full...i'm clueless) Pls see Fotki to see what i'm talking about

Last edited:
I tend to think that they do in some ways which is why I havent been wearing mine.

I usually pull my hair securely (I try to not do it too tightly) back into a pony then add the fake pony tail. By the end of the day, the nape hair section kinda aches and my edges hurt too...:nono:

I think the weight of the pony contributes to my issue :ohwell:

Princess Pie

I can't speak from personal experience, but my sister wore one and it definitely damaged her hair. She had some thinning/breakage, and developed a bald spot.

Ladyhenri

I tend to think that they do in some ways which is why I havent been wearing mine.

I usually pull my hair securely (I try to not do it too tightly) back into a pony then add the fake pony tail. By the end of the day, the nape hair section kinda aches and my edges hurt too...:nono:

I think the weight of the pony contributes to my issue :ohwell:

I get where you're coming from, and i do think the key to avoiding thinning edges is never to pull the hair too tightly into the pony...
My problem is actually with my ends that are hidden in a baggy under my pony:sad:

Princess Pie

The bald spot was in the middle of her head; crown area. I kinda think it was from wearing it in the same place every day. I do think they can be worn successfully, but you have to be careful. Change it up.

BotanyGrl

You may need to stop the baggying. Some posters hair thrive with the baggy method, but my best friend ends were a mess when she did the baggy for a long time.

est.April1983

they don't work for me it leaves me with breakage wherever the pony is located??? it works for other ladies though

Ladyhenri

The bald spot was in the middle of her head; crown area. I kinda think it was from wearing it in the same place every day. I do think they can be worn successfully, but you have to be careful. Change it up.

Oh no:nono:...
I feel most of my breakage is from this area as well...i do change the position of the pony once a week, and i never use the combs in the pony to attach it, i always use the biggest size of hair pins...

Ladyhenri

You may need to stop the baggying. Some posters hair thrive with the baggy method, but my best friend ends were a mess when she did the baggy for a long time.

I'm not sure that the baggy damages my hair....i never have it too wet, (i mostly only use WGHO on my ends)
But i shall take this into consideration...i need to find the cause of my breakage, and i guess the baggy could be a culprit.

Imani

I've been wearing one for the past 5 to 6 months and haven't noticed any damage. i mostly only wear it during the weekdays for work. i make sure to wear it really loose. if it feels too tight or like a section of hair is pulling, i will take it down and redo it.

I take it out as soon as i get home and moisturize at night. i have the ribbon tie kind from hisandher website.

as far as baggying, i tried it for a while last summer, but i think it made my hair weak and tangly. So i don't do it anymore.

localhost

I've been wearing one for the past 5 to 6 months and haven't noticed any damage. i mostly only wear it during the weekdays for work. i make sure to wear it really loose. if it feels too tight or like a section of hair is pulling, i will take it down and redo it.

I take it out as soon as i get home and moisturize at night. i have the ribbon tie kind from hisandher website.

as far as baggying, i tried it for a while last summer, but i think it made my hair weak and tangly. So i don't do it anymore.

ITA w/the bolded. I baggy my ends, and so far so good :thumbsup:

CurliDiva

I'm not sure that the baggy damages my hair....i never have it too wet, (i mostly only use WGHO on my ends)
But i shall take this into consideration...i need to find the cause of my breakage, and i guess the baggy could be a culprit.

Hi Henrietta,

For the first time ever, WGHO acted funny in my hair! Due to the dropping temperature - it sort of harden in my hair. I could scrap the WGHO from under my nails although it was completely liquid when I first applied it.

I had to sit under a heat bonnet so that it would melt into my hair and not cause damage to remove. I'm sticking with lighter, natural oils (olive, castor, amla) to seal from now on.

Good luck!

RubyWoo

I think the problem is the baggy as well. Don't you have fine hair? I've read on this board that some fine haired ladies' hair can't handle the baggy method. Trimbride had a similar problem to your's. My hair is not fine but the baggy is a big :nono: for me. I only baggied 3 times before I gave it up because it made my hair over moisturized and I experienced some breakage. I don't think the phony pony is the problem since the baggy is acting as a shield from the phony pony. Anyhow, good luck.

Ladyhenri

I think the problem is the baggy as well. Don't you have fine hair? I've read on this board that some fine haired ladies' hair can't handle the baggy method. Trimbride had a similar problem to your's. My hair is not fine but the baggy is a big :nono: for me. I only baggied 3 times before I gave it up because it made my hair over moisturized and I experienced some breakage. I don't think the phony pony is the problem since the baggy is acting as a shield from the phony pony. Anyhow, good luck.

I do have very fine hair...so i guess it could be the baggying then:ohwell:...

But if i dont baggy do i just apply the phony pony over my own hair? i fear that my ends would snag easily and break...:sad:

Ladyhenri

Thanks for this response, i think this would be the perfect thing to do for now because my prefared daily protective style is def using a phony pony....
What do you do with your ends underneath?

Ladyhenri

Hi Henrietta,

For the first time ever, WGHO acted funny in my hair! Due to the dropping temperature - it sort of harden in my hair. I could scrap the WGHO from under my nails although it was completely liquid when I first applied it.

I had to sit under a heat bonnet so that it would melt into my hair and not cause damage to remove. I'm sticking with lighter, natural oils (olive, castor, amla) to seal from now on.

Good luck!

Girl, whats the temperature lke round where you live?? It must be very cold for that to happen....wow
I've never had WGHO harden in my hair, usually because i use it mostly on my ends which usually feels slightly damp but warm under the baggy.

nakialovesshoes

I would be very grateful for some insight on this one.
I have been taking a close look at my regimen to try and isolate the cause of my thin ends. i use a phony pony that is only attached with large hair pins, and my ends are baggied in oil underneath.

I wash, DC and comb once a week. Before i barely used to comb and by touch up day, my hair was a used mess and i lost tons of hair.... but now i detangle every week...no matter how many hairs i loose....i do find some broken hairs (which terrify me) but its mostly shed hairs.
I will be trimming from APL but it worries me that since i joined on here i've always been in a protective style about 98% of the time and yet my ends dont look good...and perhaps its just me, but i feel when i joined LHCF, my ends were more even.
Pls give suggestions....I want my hair to be long but i also want it to be long and thick, and i realise that if i dont correct whatever is wrong with my regimen, the thinning may worsen.

Do you guys think the thining is from my pre-lhcf overprocessed hair or from the baggy? Has anyone experienced hair thinning at the ends? what was the cause and what did you do about it? (Only the last 3inches of my hair seem to be thinning out.. the first inches from my scalp seem full...i'm clueless) Pls see Fotki to see what i'm talking about

Could it possibly be your growth pattern? I've seen ladies on Fotki with growth patterns that looked like thinning ends but as soon as the shorter hairs caught up, it would be full again. I just ask this b/c of your statement - above bolded. If you're only losing mainly shed hairs, then I was thinking that maybe it's your growth pattern & before you trim 3 inches you may want to give the shorter hairs some time to catch up.