Do relaxed heads suffer more setbacks?

jamaicanadian

I know that no matter the hair type, relaxed, texlaxed, texturized, natural, we all have hair challenges. But do you observe that relaxed or otherwise chemically processed hair suffer more frequently from setbacks? …be it breakage from overprocessing, getting trims which are actually cuts from scissor happy stylists. Which is why I believe many of the relaxed heads (and naturals too), would rather do everything (self-relaxing, trimming/dusting) themselves if they cant find a stylist who fully understands their haircare needs and goals. I don’t mean to offend anyone, I could be wrong.

Isis

The only setbacks I've had was before I discovered LHCF. Once I learned how to care for my hair, it's been uphill and a lot of fun.:)

Candy_C

well i dont know really, but since LHCF everythings been cool. the only probs i have is being addicted to my hair!

HoneyDew

That is hard for me to say. In some ways I don't think the setbacks can be compared.

Well, if everyone only had goals of length, they can be compared, in my opinion, but most people's goals are not just about length. There are people that have goals to find an appropriate hair care regimen, reduce heat, develop more styling options, grow in a certain spot that suffered hair loss for whatever reason, grown out layers, etc.

Because the steps to achieve those goals are so different, so are the actions that can cause setbacks.

Princess Pie

I think all hair can have setbacks, with relaxed hair being no different. You just have to know how to care for relaxed hair. I think lots of women don't know how to properly care for their relaxed hair (I was one of them). So, I think the problem is generally the person and their methods, not specifically the hair or process.

glamazon386

I think that it might be more likely for relaxed hair to break or suffer damage simply because it is an a weaker state than natural hair. The relaxer breaks down the bonds in the hair and thus makes it more fragile. However, as long as you take care of your hair, relaxed or natural, you should be able to have a healthy head of hair.

dannie

I'm going to say yes for me. I started relaxing my hair in Jan 03', and I was getting it done at the shop and rollerset. Then I relaized I can't do my own rollerset so I started CW and bunning. My hair was about shoulder length. At the end of 03 start of 04 I decided to do my own relaxing. I must of used Motions, TCB, Revlon, Elast QP all throughout 04-05' but my hair was underprocessed because of the lye. I also had a lot of breakage from soo many brands, and even though my hair was brastrap, it was thin due to my "experimentation". I kinda wandered thru 05' using Mizani, but this year I relaized it was too strong for my hair, because I had broken sections. So I had long hair that was uneven/thin.

I tried no-lye again this year, and I like the results. My dilema was once again the thin over-processed hair at the ends. So I cut them off and now I'm at armpit length. Now my hair is even and thick. I'm going to try the ponytail rollersets, because I'm sick of buns after 3 years!!!! I never had breakage w/ no-lye, so I'm hoping my ends won't thin out as my hair gets longer like the lye did. I'm going to stay w/ my vitamins and deep conditioning treatments.

If my hair isn't brastrap and healthy w/ no-lye and rollersets by Dec 06, I'm going natural because my hair should be to my a$$ by now, with all the trimming I've had to do. Setbacks, defiantley. But I think for me it was about finding out what works and what didn't. If I can't figure it out this year, maybe relaxing isn't for me.

Blackbird77

As a relaxed head (about 7 years ago) I had a lot of setbacks. Mainly it was because I would blow dry my hair everytime I washed it and used a hot curler before going to bed. A lot of hair was on the floor and my already fine hair was getting thinner and thinner. I stopped relaxing and ONLY because I don't have to keep it straight am I seeing results. My hair has always been longer and fuller looking without a relaxer because the methods I use to style my hair change so I am able to keep more hair on my head.

Southernbella.

You may be onto something WRT going to a stylist. Ever since I've been doing everything myself, I haven't had one setback. When I was going to the hairdresser, I think she was trimming to frequently, she was definitely relaxing too often (although I didn't stop her), and using too much heat.

I don't know if that's strictly a relaxed thing though. I think anyone who doesn't have a stylist that's on the exact same page they are is going to have setbacks.

firecracker

I had many in my relaxed days but it was never that noticable since I have a thick bush. My setbacks usually came from overprocessing, products w/too much protein (Surge) or alcohol and too much heat.

In my natural hair experience I have not had one setback as my hair is in a much healthier state.

tenderheaded

My setbacks came from stylist damage - relaxer not rinsed/neutralized properly, relaxer left on too long, scissor happy harpies:mad: I've been relaxed since 4/05 - the longest in my life and I've GAINED length. I had to start doing everything myself to make progress:)