Do topical growth aids even work?

Zay-neey

topical growth aids, ( things you rub on your scalp), just dont make much sense to me.
I understand taking vitamins etc, internally. because hair grows from the inside out.

So do the topical growth aids work? Weigh in. TIA

mzteaze

Pilates and Yoga Kinda Gal
It seems that certain ones work...just not for everyone.

I have found success with a few topical "growth" aids. But, I think a few factors have be in place:

1) You have to use certain products really really consistently, so using them takes a certain amount of dedication. If you aren't consistent with use, you won't see results.

2) You have to have realistic goals. If you are expecting "fantastical" hair growth such as 3, 4 or 5" in XXX amount of weeks - you just set yourself up for disappointment. HOWEVER, for more modest results, growth in an area where the follicles are alive yet not growing - does happen to work for a number of folks. There are lots of examples with realistic pictures of results such as doubling your average monthly growth (esp for slow growers) from 1/4" to 1/2" (bring their growth up to average).

Otherwise, I don't understand why people are skeptical that topical treatments would not work. We use topical treatments for other areas of our body (skin). There are tons of transdermal treatments via patches, creams and liquids that work on the over the counter level as well as the prescription (medical) level. Just because we have hair on our heads, we sometimes forget that it simply covers up another large portion of skin as well.

nzeee

i've never used any personally cuz i've never had good experiences w/ things on my scalp (my scalp freaks out if it's oiled and gets all flaky and gross) but i thought NJoys growth post end of last year was illumanating. her growth was definitely phenomal and if she is to be believed, it can only be attributed to her consistent use of her sulpher mix.

i buy it :yep: also, i believe the rationale for this stuff working is that it's not just sitting randomly on top of your scalp which you're right, wouldn't really have much impact. but any successful mix is supposed to be stimulating the follicles just beneath and alla that.

*don't get me started on this other mix floating around these days tho :kiss teet:

MilkChocolateOne

i've never used any personally cuz i've never had good experiences w/ things on my scalp (my scalp freaks out if it's oiled and gets all flaky and gross) but i thought NJoys growth post end of last year was illumanating. her growth was definitely phenomal and if she is to be believed, it can only be attributed to her consistent use of her sulpher mix.

i buy it :yep: also, i believe the rationale for this stuff working is that it's not just sitting randomly on top of your scalp which you're right, wouldn't really have much impact. but any successful mix is supposed to be stimulating the follicles just beneath and alla that.

*don't get me started on this other mix floating around these days tho :kiss teet:

I disagree. Njoy's regimen involves protective styling and low manipulation. She has great retention due to these practices. She found what works for her hair. I am willing to bet she would receive the same amount of growth and retention if she discontinued the use of her sulphur mix. People always mention her when they talk about the success of topical growth aids but they fail to mention that her hair is in protective styles the majority of the time and she doesn't manipulate her hair that much. Those two things are the keys to her success.

reeko43

I do believe it is a combination of things and that a growth aid in and of itself would not be effective for sustained growth. As stated, a person who has dedicated themselves to consistent application of a growth aid will more than likely take great care in styling their hair, use protective styles, take supplements, tie their hair up regularly and may even start eating better and exercising.

MizzBrown

I don't believe in them. I jumped on the bandwagons for a while then did some research and there aren't many, if any, proven clinical studies for the stuff we are putting on our scalps.

Retention, low manipulation, etc. is where it's at. There are just too many other factors that popular posters are doing that can contribute to a seemingly faster growth rate. TOO many.

Meritamen

On a happy hair journey
I don't know. Some folks on here and on LHC swear by them though.
I started using castor oil though (applying it every other night) so we shall see. :look:

Last edited:

dancinstallion

yes I believe in growth aides because they worked for me. My hair grew faster, some worked and some didn't. Retention is what I have a problem with.

nzeee

I disagree. Njoy's regimen involves protective styling and low manipulation. She has great retention due to these practices. She found what works for her hair. I am willing to bet she would receive the same amount of growth and retention if she discontinued the use of her sulphur mix. People always mention her when they talk about the success of topical growth aids but they fail to mention that her hair is in protective styles the majority of the time and she doesn't manipulate her hair that much. Those two things are the keys to her success.

good points :yep:

it seemed like really phenomenal... like... EXTRA growth in the span of just 10mths or something. i didn't pay that much attention tho so maybe it was all just protective styling/low manipulation?

Kimmay & uhm... the deep moisture lady had phenom growth in very short period as well. but deep moisture lady (someone pls help me w/ a name) says growth aids are an important part of her reggie and kimmay... takes 4hrs to detangle :look:

so i guess i don't know. i think it is accepted that sulphur and the related forms (biotin, msm) do contribute to increase hair growth and thickness tho, no?

mzteaze

Pilates and Yoga Kinda Gal
I don't believe in them. I jumped on the bandwagons for a while then did some research and there aren't many, if any, proven clinical studies for the stuff we are putting on our scalps.

Retention, low manipulation, etc. is where it's at. There are just too many other factors that popular posters are doing that can contribute to a seemingly faster growth rate. TOO many.

The problem is that some people don't like to use those methods. I have never been one for braids or some of the other protective hair styles available. For me, I tend to lose more hair with protective methods. As stated, some things work for some people. But that alone doesn't mean that growth aids do not work. There is enough research available that supports the use of certain products out there for growth. It's the responsibility of each person to research anything before they use it.

Retention is goal of everyone here. How you get there is what varies from person to person.

Last edited:

Charla

I've only tried one so far, and it's working. Before I started it, I tracked my growth for 5 months and had consistent growth rate or 0.5" monthly. I've been using sulfur since May 1 and have gotten over 1" each month (2) so far.
I also protective style almost 100% of the time, and I baby my hair.
But I did those things before I started sulfur, which is why I was able to retain my 0.5" each month.
So it works for me, so I'll keep it up.

NJoy

Here I grow again!

I'd be willing to take that bet. There are definitely months when I don't use the sulfur mix regularly or at all (mainly the summer months because it's too hot and when I was deep in my stretch and didn't want to chance it). My growth rate was noticeably different to me.

When I first started my journey, I tried MTG and am sure that it increased my growth rate. I just couldn't hack the smell. That's what prompted me to try my own mix.

I also truly believe that I got faster growth because I believed it was supposed to be that way (I didn't know that 1/4" a month was gospel). I can't say with certainty if any one thing caused the accelerated growth but, I do know that I expected and got more growth when I was using the mix. I believed it and so it was. I also believe that if you don't believe it, you may not get good results when trying it.

MTG worked and sublimed sulfur worked...for me. PS'g and cowashing worked for me. Doing all that I thought would grow and protect my hair and expecting it worked...for me. :yep: My focus was on making my scalp happy and guarding my ends. Just wanted to contribute my two cents. HTH.

hothair

Yes. Do a search, visit other hair forums. I personally came to this site after using MTG given to me by a friend of mine. It got me from neck length to APL+ in one summer. Not everything works for everyone, but most things work for most if you're consistent.

I get confused when people say they don't understand how topical applications work. Um moisturisers anyone?

Zay-neey

Okay thanks ladies.
i am going to try sublimed sulfur oil mix today, and just wondered if there was a point. it will be the first topical growth aid that i try.

Hairsnob

Deep Thinker
I'd say they definitely work. Especially Sulfur. :yep:

Here's proof. This is 5 weeks of growth when I was using sulfur. I know the first thing people say is well, if it works so well why don't you still use it? Because it's really messy, it stains your jewelry, smelly and can be drying and you have to stay pretty consistent with it. Bottom line, I'm just too lazy sometimes. But I use it probabably twice a month now. I know, that's just pure laziness LOL.

Here are the pics from February 8, 2010 to March 18, 2010. One thing to point out, my hair wasn't flat-ironed in the first pic. But I'm relaxed so flat-ironing doesn't make much of a difference.

Attachments

• Feb_8_to_Mar_18.jpg
    Feb_8_to_Mar_18.jpg
    14.4 KB · Views: 398

Myjourney2009

Ready to be APL
Yes. Do a search, visit other hair forums. I personally came to this site after using MTG given to me by a friend of mine. It got me from neck length to APL+ in one summer. Not everything works for everyone, but most things work for most if you're consistent.

I get confused when people say they don't understand how topical applications work. Um moisturisers anyone?

When you stopped did your shedding increase

MaylaMae

I do believe it is a combination of things and that a growth aid in and of itself would not be effective for sustained growth. As stated, a person who has dedicated themselves to consistent application of a growth aid will more than likely take great care in styling their hair, use protective styles, take supplements, tie their hair up regularly and may even start eating better and exercising.

:yep: I definitely think that this is the case.

hothair

When you stopped did your shedding increase

Honestly I didn't notice any shedding. I lost that length because I had bad hair practices (relaxing my bleached hair), now I know better, but the main problem I have now is consistency I've found when I'm consistent everything seems to work I just can't be bothered sometimes:nono:

Minty

of course growth aids work -

just like onion extract works to heal scars and aloe works to heal burns

Zay-neey

Here's proof. This is 5 weeks of growth when I was using sulfur. I know the first thing people say is well, if it works so well why don't you still use it? Because it's really messy, it stains your jewelry, smelly and can be drying and you have to stay pretty consistent with it. Bottom line, I'm just too lazy sometimes. But I use it probabably twice a month now. I know, that's just pure laziness LOL.

Here are the pics from February 8, 2010 to March 18, 2010. One thing to point out, my hair wasn't flat-ironed in the first pic. But I'm relaxed so flat-ironing doesn't make much of a difference.

did you use the sulfur everyday?

growinghealthyhair

Hairsnob

This is exactly my problem. I had success with sulfur mixes while relaxed and my hair/scalp love the oil. But I just can't with the type of protective styles I wear (weaves/wigs). I thankfully found non-topical growth aids that I can use instead. I'm trying to figure out how i can work these growth aids into my protective style regimen.

growinghealthyhair

Honestly I didn't notice any shedding. I lost that length because I had bad hair practices (relaxing my bleached hair), now I know better, but the main problem I have now is consistency I've found when I'm consistent everything seems to work I just can't be bothered sometimes:nono:

hothair

:lachen: Not laughing at you. But I did this exact same thing...Lets just say it led me into transitioning to natural. IDK why that stylist didn't tell me NO. My hair was really thriving. I can only imagine how long my hair would be now :nono:

Hairsnob

Deep Thinker
@Hairsnob

This is exactly my problem. I had success with sulfur mixes while relaxed and my hair/scalp love the oil. But I just can't with the type of protective styles I wear (weaves/wigs). I thankfully found non-topical growth aids that I can use instead. I'm trying to figure out how i can work these growth aids into my protective style regimen.

growinghealthyhair

I always thought that if you were wigging it that it would be easier to use the sulfur. My girlfriend did that the entire winter and I think she baggied underneath the wig too. Even if your hair is braided underneath it'd probably be even easier to apply it. But I feel you on not being able to do it with the weave.

I hope you find something that works for you!!

ManeStreet

Same for me. I've always gotten o.5" then in march I started topical sulphur mixes and now I've gotten 1 inch per mont when I applied every night. Now I'm in a weave so I only apply about 3 times per week and I get .75".

I've only tried one so far, and it's working. Before I started it, I tracked my growth for 5 months and had consistent growth rate or 0.5" monthly. I've been using sulfur since May 1 and have gotten over 1" each month (2) so far.
I also protective style almost 100% of the time, and I baby my hair.
But I did those things before I started sulfur, which is why I was able to retain my 0.5" each month.
So it works for me, so I'll keep it up.

growinghealthyhair

growinghealthyhair

I always thought that if you were wigging it that it would be easier to use the sulfur. My girlfriend did that the entire winter and I think she baggied underneath the wig too. Even if your hair is braided underneath it'd probably be even easier to apply it. But I feel you on not being able to do it with the weave.

I hope you find something that works for you!!

Hairsnob

You are right for regular wigs it's very easy for me. But most times I wear lace wigs and sew them down so it's just a bother to have to wash it so often. I'm about to try a curly weave. I won't mind washing that often!

<3