DO U HENNA EVERY WEEK?

amina kamal

I haven't tried henna yet. I am scared it will dry my hair out but I have a question about it. For those of you that henna every week. What are the benefits of doing it so often? Is it better for your hair to henna that often or can you still get the same results if you do it once or twice a month?

amina kamal said:
I haven't tried henna yet. I am scared it will dry my hair out but I have a question about it. For those of you that henna every week. What are the benefits of doing it so often? Is it better for your hair to henna that often or can you still get the same results if you do it once or twice a month?

I alternate between cassia & henna every week, but starting in January I'm going to change it to every other week. I found that this has strengthened my hair & cut down on shedding. I think if you do it once or even twice a month you will get great results. Just be sure to condition well after every wash, whether you henna or not.

I do everyweek, but I use 1 part henna 2 parts cassia with yogurt and oil. My hair does not get dry. Actually the opposite - that may be the yogurt, though.

I'm in braids not but when I start henna again. I will do every other week.

Jlove,
Do you think you will go to every other week because once a week is too much? Or maybe your have has achieved the strength it needs and you think every other will do the trick?

amina kamal said:
Jlove,
Do you think you will go to every other week because once a week is too much? Or maybe your have has achieved the strength it needs and you think every other will do the trick?

Yes, Yes, Yes to your last statement. The strength of my hair has been restored:) Also, my hair tends to be on the dry side in the winter and I don't want to over do it.

I indigo every week as I'm on a quest for jet, jet black hair. Sometimes I'll do a non-color-released henna treatment first to give the indigo something to bond to or I'll just add a some henna powder to my indigo mixture. I don't think that it makes my hair dry but I add oils and conditioners to my mixture and condition after I rinse it out. My hair is much stronger and while I never lost that much hair while detangling in the shower, now I'm losing even less.

I am currently doing my henna treatments every two to three weeks. I do want to try honeydews recipe and if it works for me then I will do it once a week.

Initially during my first 6 months of use, I was hennaing once a week, but now my schedule is a lot busier so I use it once every week to two but never more than two weeks apart.

I've found that my hair is a LOT stronger, sheds MUCH less, has a great auburn color in the sunlight and dries suber fast (no need for that blow dryer anymore)! =)

I henna every week. I don't know if there is more benefit from doing it weekly vs. every two weeks. I love the strength, the color and the conditioning that it provides so it was just easier to work it into my schedule.

I’m planning to henna every week starting today! I have it in my hair right now lol. I asked this very question in another thread but reading this one has inspired me to go ahead and do it weekly.

I've read of others (as in Indian families) using it weekly. I am currently on a 4 week rotation but was thinking of adding a henna gloss at the two week mark.

What inspired you to try weekly and what is you regimen?

I've read of others (as in Indian families) using it weekly. I am currently on a 4 week rotation but was thinking of adding a henna gloss at the two week mark.

What inspired you to try weekly and what is you regimen?
I’ve been henna’ing on and off for 10 years just experimenting to see what works best for me. I love the benefits of henna but didn’t know if once per week was too much since it is a treatment after all. I also want to thicken my hair and continue to grow it long (it’s about BSL currently with my goal being waist length). I’m on a mission!!! Lol

Since my last post I’ve read through several other henna threads and have made the decision to henna weekly starting today (in my head right now!). I use Godrej Nupur henna and add hibiscus powder, aloe vera powder, cheap conditioner, msm course flakes, bhringraj powder and SAA. I just ordered some honeyquat and will be incorporating that as well when it arrives. Already I can feel the difference with the SAA added; application was so much easier! I usually leave henna in most of the day or sleep in it, then rinse and deep condition. Whew! I look forward to thicker longer hair. I believe I’ll either reach or be close to my goal by this time next year.

how are you ladies doing with your henna?

Can someone post what this henna product looks like so I can actually see what you are putting in your hair.
There are various henna products and different types of henna powder. I will try to find pictures of some of the henna products I have used over the years. I'm currently using Hennasooq Red Raj Henna (https://hennasooq.com/red-raj/). I have also used Godrej Nupur Henna (found on Amazon), which has other herbs in it. Both products are great. I prefer Henna Sooq, because it is pure henna and the color trade off is stronger.

Sidenote: I would have provided a link to Godrej, if Amazon would disable the link to my account.

Weekly is overkill for the henna process. I use henna occasionally but used it religiously when I started my hair journey. If you like your curls and kinks beware cause henna may straighten your hair and you might lose your bounce.
i agree. also, someone else (i forget her username but she has a fun style of writing) wrote to me in another thread, that all ayurvedic treatments must be followed with moisturizing treatments for a while. she was correct.

Henna being soothing to the scalp and cooling to your body, is awesome for hot countries and heat waves. (if it's pure, finely milled or you sieve it, sandy henna will irritate). Back home we used it for that cooling effect, rather than colour or conditioning being the goal...

Esp as in a poor country like mine, amenities (electricity, air conditioning, water, etc) go out daily for hours at a time --
unless you're rich enough for a generator or being in an area where it doesn't go out. My family's not rich. So...the suffocating heat makes henna a necessity.

You have to prepare buckets of water in advance just in case, and having HOURS in between of the water being turned back on.. cannot be sure how long it will be... so you don't wanna waste it on washing out henna... Therefore you cannot immediately wash it out ...so the red tinge just builds up from how long you have to leave it in.

But as I remember it, we weren't knowledgeable about CONDITIONERS, and so with doing henna so often (weekly or daily)....one could have brittle results over time. Lot of people did not know that only oiling - that is NOT equivalent to proper conditioning. There's more available nowadays. Temperance applies with henna, Khadijah in Henna Sooq had said that, in different words, in Q and A video lof people asking if they could do it daily. But it seems so addictive if you wanna build up that red or burgundy tinge in dark hair....i love that colour.
My profile pic from years ago (a 'goal length' currently)
has that tinge showing a bit, and that was from henna.

If a person is addicted to enhancing that tinge, like i was, they can use Manic Panic's fuchsia or pink colours for a semi-permanent thing on top of the henna. just to restrain themselves from overdoing it if they are prone to (like me) ....

There are various henna products and different types of henna powder. I will try to find pictures of some of the henna products I have used over the years. I'm currently using Hennasooq Red Raj Henna (https://hennasooq.com/red-raj/). I have also used Godrej Nupur Henna (found on Amazon), which has other herbs in it. Both products are great. I prefer Henna Sooq, because it is pure henna and the color trade off is stronger.

Sidenote: I would have provided a link to Godrej, if Amazon would disable the link to my account.
It seems that people are using it for a hair treatment I only know of it for decorating the hands, feet and for colouring hair. I'm. Not looking to colour my hair

At 11 last night, I used a henna treatment with 2019 crop of Jamila and 2020 crop of Organic Raj (majority jamila)...

mixed with Coconut milk just before applying. (1 ramekin brimming with the mixture was nearly enough for my short hair ATM!:hair: just needed an extra tablespoon. Short hair = economic)

The Jamila and approx 20% Rajasthani had been sitting for a day and a half and stained my hand a deep tmmediately, that's how strong it was... so now I know Jamila stains better on me than either Moroccan OR Rajasthani.. the bit of Raj added may have contributed but well...it hadn't stained when I used it before.
The Raj HAD significantly loosened my curl pattern on back part of head... with 1 application .....even a couple of weeks later..so I know it did something. I want the back part smoothed out more because I want to see puff and kinkier curls around my face..think that looks so cute (hence I love 4b and 4c hair)... but back tangles really easily so tight curls loosening is helpful.

With both the Moroccan and Rajasthani, even though dye release was faster than jamila.. even after doing a second step with just indigo.. my white hairs were still gleaming and obvious...they were just a gold afterwards..even though I had left it on for longer..AND had used indigo mix after ... and the colour wore off in a couple of washes (?!) The indigo took to the rest but not to the whites too.

with this Jamila and bit of Raj I only left it on for 2 hours..well now they're thoroughly stained. :gorgeous: I have 4 white hairs in the front, and they come in rather useful to gauge henna quality.

Back