Do you believe in spiritual cycles?

aribell

formerly nicola.kirwan
So, there are seasons, but what about cycles as spoken of in the old testament? We know that God is a God of both time and rhythm. We know that after 6 days, He sees fit that we should rest. We see in the ot levitical laws that 49 years (7x7) was enough bondage to debt and servitude before everything should be released in the 50th year (Jubilee).

So in our own lives, does God still abide by these principles? Can we expect blessing in the 7th year after 6 years of tribulation? Does the number 6 have actual relevance for us? Has this played out in your life?

Last edited:

sidney

Well, I'm not sure overall. I never heard of cycles in the old testament. Where can I find that? In my life, I see more of the "glory to glory" pattern. God keeps pushing us forward and there is no looking back. He is always looking to do "a new thing." But, in terms of what we must do to get from glory to glory, I do see seasonal patterns. Like in some seasons, you ave to just believe God (plant his word and believe on it). In other times, you reap the harvest. This may be helpful.

Ecclesiates 3

To every thing there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven:

2A time to be born, and a time to die; a time to plant, and a time to pluck up that which is planted;

3A time to kill, and a time to heal; a time to break down, and a time to build up;

4A time to weep, and a time to laugh; a time to mourn, and a time to dance;

5A time to cast away stones, and a time to gather stones together; a time to embrace, and a time to refrain from embracing;

6A time to get, and a time to lose; a time to keep, and a time to cast away;

7A time to rend, and a time to sew; a time to keep silence, and a time to speak;

8A time to love, and a time to hate; a time of war, and a time of peace.

9What profit hath he that worketh in that wherein he laboureth?

10I have seen the travail, which God hath given to the sons of men to be exercised in it.

11He hath made every thing beautiful in his time: also he hath set the world in their heart, so that no man can find out the work that God maketh from the beginning to the end.

loolalooh

Hmm .. until you mentioned it, I hadn't noticed the following patterns in my life:

7 years old - had a near-death experience
17 years old - one of the biggest blessings of my life that still has ramifications today
2007 - a year of big blessings + changes + a spiritual test that I failed
27 years old - biggest spiritual battle of my life + overcame it and entered a renewed, strengthened relationship w/ God

I'm not sure if it's coincidence or not, but your question certainly makes me ponder.

aribell

formerly nicola.kirwan
Cycles may not be the best word for it. But in the OT there are continual rhythms. The 6 days of work and striving with the earth (Adam's curse), then rest from that striving on the 7th day. People being in indentured servitude, but being released in the 7th year (or after?). Then in the year of Jubilee, a year of redemption from all debts and where seized property went
back to the original owners after 7x7 years.

It seems that in the OT, the Lord established a principle that in
our earthly lives we will only have to strive for so long before He appoints a time of rest and restoration. I guess my question is whether those principles remain in operation today.

Do we strive and then are released in the 7th year? I'm not saying that it has to be every 7th year of our lives, more that with certain issues, the strife will last for a period and then we will be given rest. Biblically, numbers and times are significant, but how do they relate to our lives?

mrselle

I never thought about it until I read this post, but then I thought back to a particularly rough period in my life that shaped me and molded me to handle things in my life as an adult, wife and mother. There was definitely six years of trials and tribulations and a big blessing that manifested itself for all to see in the seventh year.

Iammoney

Wealth magnet
well im not sure about that but what about the woman who suffered for 12 years and the old man at the pool for 38 and then sarah not be able to have children and rebekah only able to have two children but later died.
everything is on God's time. imo

aribell

formerly nicola.kirwan
Hmm...you make an interesting point, though I wasn't particularly thinking of physical issues which require miraculous healing, nor the expectation of a promise or blessing. I was thinking more of spiritual seasons and strivings. I don't think that a physical number can be put on such things, but just like I could work for 6 days and on the 7th know that I have worked long enough in God's sight, I wonder if spiritual striving has any analogy to that.

The number 7 is probably more symbolic than anything else. I guess if the Lord chooses to act in that way today, it could be a sign.

Last edited:

Prudent1

Good questions Nicola. I do know that numbers are significant to God for various reasons. I do know that we are living under grace during this age too. I am not knowlegable nor have I had enough personal understanding to fully answer your questions at this point in my life but I do know some older ministers at my church who have shared a number of cycle related things they have experienced. My mother also has shared several things God spoke to her regarding cycles or specific years. Some have already come to pass, some are pending. So, there is something to it but I cannot speak on a personal level.

Blessedmocha

So, there are seasons, but what about cycles as spoken of in the old testament? We know that God is a God of both time and rhythm. We know that after 6 days, He sees fit that we should rest. We see in the ot levitical laws that 49 years (7x7) was enough bondage to debt and servitude before everything should be released in the 50th year (Jubilee).

So in our own lives, does God still abide by these principles? Can we expect blessing in the 7th year after 6 years of tribulation? Does the number 6 have actual relevance for us? Has this played out in your life?

Good question Nicola, I believe that God still abide by these principles and HE does work in seasons just as HE did in the old testament.
And as Jesus said, HE came to add to the law and not take away from the law,
Jesus also said, all things written, every dot & iota will still stand and be fulfilled. Matt 5:17-20

In my life, I definetly see seasons of hardship and blessings.. and as I am now awaiting a new season in my life as per Gods promises, I definetly believe God still works in this way.

kweenameena

If this is true, I'd definitely be happy. I'm in my sixth year of a situation that has turned my life upside down and it's ending this year. Prayerfully next year (which will be the 7th year) will be a new beginning!

nathansgirl1908

Cycles may not be the best word for it. But in the OT there are continual rhythms. The 6 days of work and striving with the earth (Adam's curse), then rest from that striving on the 7th day. People being in indentured servitude, but being released in the 7th year (or after?). Then in the year of Jubilee, a year of redemption from all debts and where seized property went
back to the original owners after 7x7 years.

It seems that in the OT, the Lord established a principle that in
our earthly lives we will only have to strive for so long before He appoints a time of rest and restoration. I guess my question is whether those principles remain in operation today.

Do we strive and then are released in the 7th year? I'm not saying that it has to be every 7th year of our lives, more that with certain issues, the strife will last for a period and then we will be given rest. Biblically, numbers and times are significant, but how do they relate to our lives?

I don't really know how they relate to our lives. I haven't seen anything in my life that demonstrates any of what you have mentioned here. I have been dealing with something for over 7 years. Seems there is no relief in sight. I just operate in the belief that God has a perfect time for everything.
But I also believe that as long as we are on this Earth we are going to strive throughout our lives. I don't personally believe that we go through periods of rest. I don't know how to explain what I mean, but I think what I'm trying to say is that I think we just live LIFE. That's why I'm a little bothered when they tell people at church, "this is YOUR season." I believe that we experience favor, mercy, and blessing throughOUT. I can't say I have seen a period in my life yet that felt like these seasons they speak of in church. Good things happen right along with bad things. :yep:

Laela

Sidestepping the "lynch mob"
Great question! I do believe that God uses the principle of time/season in our personal lives, it's up to us to pay attention to the relevance of the numbers/seasons so we can use those as a measure of growth or to 'see' where He has played a role in our lives.
I lived with a group of atheists for 7 months exactly and moved out in the 8th month - new beginnings. Three months later I met my DH. 3 = divine completeness.

My nephew was 5 years old when I got his legal custody - Grace, five years after his mother was killed. I got married on the 20th day of the month - Redemption.

I believe Biblical numerics are significant because they teach us the importance of God's timing, so I don't see why this won't apply to the lives of people today. Those seasons ( and many others) I've gone through in my short life, are reflective of God's hands in my life.

loolalooh

^^ Before you mentioned it, I had been wondering about the number 3. I've always been drawn to it, and it really has demonstrated "divine completeness" in my life. Some of it is too personal to mention on here, but here is one instance:

Born in March - 3rd month of the year. It was a miracle that I was conceived so much so that my parents' gave me a name based off of it.

When I look back at the earlier post I made, I noticed that age 27 - equals 3x3x3. That is, three 3's. Overcame big spiritual battle + renewed my relationship with God. Hmm. It makes me think ...

All in all, though, I do believe in spiritual cycles AND in God's timing, which may not always be in the form of spiritual cycles. This topic is very intriguing.

hzlcreativity

It's been great to read this topic today.

During watchnight service our minister preached on the number 10 being about manifestation.

I'm sure through using our spiritual eye, we're able to see the connections that only God was able to put together, and, in finally knowing the whole picture, we're able to identify the seasons/cycles of our pushing to get a little higher, and our rewards for staying the course.

aribell

formerly nicola.kirwan
Thanks for your perspectives ladies! I felt like this principle was being manifested in my life, but I wasn't sure what to think. It's good to see other believers tuning into God's purpose and timing.

And...I do see that not everything can be "timed," so to speak. Like we can't tell the Lord, "okay, it's the third month, time for such and such!" But I do think the times and seasons serve as clues and signs of what God has done and where He is leading. I believe I just discerned a new season and it's been so spiritually beneficial--as in now I have a clear idea of what I'm supposed to be doing during this time rather than just wandering about.

Also, I do wonder if sabbath principles can be incorporated into our prayer life through our knowledge that the Lord has already said how long something should last before we are given rest. So if I'm working, working, working and I wonder, "Wow, I'm really weary of working. Is it responsible for me to take a break yet, or should I keep going?" Well, in the Bible, the Lord has already shown us that He approves of resting after 6 days of work. If we've diligently been about our work for 6 days, we know that He already understands and blesses our need for rest on the 7th.

The same with debt struggles, etc. I think the Lord tells us about Himself and what He thinks about how we should order our lives through seasons.

JustKiya

*peeks head in*

Excuse my intrusion, but I saw the title, and thought this thread was going one way, but it's going a slightly different way, but I wanted to share somethings I've learned about spiritual cycles from a Saint. :yep:

In our walks of faith - our building of a relationship with God, we often encounter two periods of spiritual struggle - a Dark Night of the Senses and a Dark Night of the Soul.

The Dark Night of the Senses was described by St. John of the Cross, with these three signposts:

1. The soul finds no satisfaction in either the things of God or in other creatures.
2. The soul is troubled by the impression that it has turned away from God; it interprets its distaste for the things of God as a falling away from Him.
3. The soul finds itself no longer capable of meditating and using the imagination in its prayer, despite fervent attempts to do so.

One comes out of that period, and finds a deeper and stronger connection with God. The Dawn brings a lessening of self-centeredness and a deeper sense of compassion.

At some point after that in one's walk, one often then runs into the Dark Night of the Soul. I couldn't find a brief description online, but from my notes, it's usually summed up thusly:

A period of fear during the gaps between the moments of union that ones self has been discarded by the Divine, and is frozen in a state of hope and fear. Can last for years, and Dawn comes when the self realizes that as long as one is, one is Divine, and thus can never be discarded by it.

I suspect St. John explained it clearer - but he was a mystic and a poet, and just now I've found his poems - I'll enjoy reading them.

I hope y'all didn't mind me poking in.....

*tiptoes back out*

aribell

formerly nicola.kirwan
^^^Thanks for poking in!

I am actually a fan, so to speak, of St. John of the Cross and his writings on the Dark Nights have helped me a lot. In fact, a dark night seemed to start rather pronouncedly for me 7 years ago when I entered college...like the day I stepped into the dorm everything went quiet or "dark" spiritually. This lasted years, I was so confused. Before, everything had been joy and God's presence felt so near all the time. I read John of the Cross and felt like I was clearly in the Dark Night, being weaned off of dependence on sensory encouragement to follow God.

But it persisted through college and graduation, and years after, and only turned into the Dark Night of the soul--very painful spiritually. Literally just this Easter, this Sunday, did I clearly see, feel and understand that that period had come to an end. And just in this short amount of time I've seen God in so many new ways and feel a new spiritual vibrancy. It's over! And it's been seven years.