Do You Clean Your Hair Accessories???

Nice & Wavy

I believe that we all do clean our brushes and combs on a weekly basis, well at least I do. But, do you clean your accessories too?

I'm talking about your...scrungies, clips, etc. The reason I'm asking because if our hair can get buildup from products, so can our accessories.

I was cleaning my scrungies and man, they were dirty! Now, I clean them on a weekly basis and let them airdry. These particular scrungies I've had only about 1 month, so....in 1 month of using leave-in's, oils, conditioners, etc...my scrungies stank:blush:. I just realized last night that my hair clips had buildup as well, after I decided to soak them in warm, soapy water. The gunk that came off of them.....:nono:...and I CW everyday and the only thing I put in my hair daily is a little leave-in conditioner and EVOO.

Now my accessories are nice and clean:grin:

Just thought I'd share this with my LHCF sisters!

Eisani

:yep: I do this too. I throw my hair ties and stuff in my lingerie bag and throw it in the washing machine, or sometimes just hand wash w/shampoo. Same thing for my scarves and bonnets.

Nice & Wavy

:yep: I do this too. I throw my hair ties and stuff in my lingerie bag and throw it in the washing machine, or sometimes just hand wash w/shampoo. Same thing for my scarves and bonnets.

That's good. I also clean my scarves as well. I think sometimes its easy to forget to do...well, maybe not the scarves, but the accessories:yep:

Eisani

Yea. I only started doing it after I looked at one of my hair ties and it had color on it :ohwell:. I was like dang, I really should start washing these instead of just buying more.

Nice & Wavy

Yea. I only started doing it after I looked at one of my hair ties and it had color on it :ohwell:. I was like dang, I really should start washing these instead of just buying more.
I started doing it when I took out a scrungie one day and smelled it and was like....ewwwww....:lachen:girl, I was on a warpath after that!!!

taj

Yes:grin:, I have to wash my hair accessories ans scarves on a regular basis because they get soiled from the oil that's in my hair.

tiffers

Whisper "bleep boop" to yourself when you're sad.
I guess I'm just a nasty *****, cause I've never cleaned anything but my bonnet :eek: Never thought about how dirty accessories get. I'll do it..... Tomorrow :look:

(I'm such a procrastinator :ohwell: )

malachi74

I'm not even going to lie, my boar bristle brushes I only clean those with shampoo about once a month, IF i remember. Otherwise I just run a comb through them to take the hairs out. Combs and my Denmans I rinse after each use. ponytail holders, I lose to frequently to wash. My scarves/doorags go in the was every weekend.

IrisDaVirus

I clean everything I use in and on my hair. My combs and hair clips are rinsed off thoroughly in warm water after each use. I bought a lingerie bag for washing my scrunchies, combs and bonnets. But I don't dry my stuff in the dryer because the heat destroys the elastic in the scrunchies and bonnets.

Last edited:

Buttercreme

This is how i use up shampoo i'm trying to get rid of.

I Wash Weekly: (Me & DD)
satin bonnetts
silk scarfs
combs
brushs

HoneyA

Goal:Hip length stretched
I use hairpins mostly for my buns not scrunchies but I do wash my scarves and bonnets weekly:yep:

SimpleKomplexity

I'm lazy. I used to clean my bonnet all the time because I like to smell fresh and so clean clean when going to sleep...but I haven't done that in awhile also. My hair acessories ....I lose them so much...I just buy more instead of washing

MarieB

I wash scrunchies and wraps in the washing machine, and brushes and combs in the sink with whatever shampoo I'm trying to get rid of.

alopeciagrl

Yes I was my stin bonnets in scarfs wth my gentle garments and I use shampooa also to clean my comb and brushes. As for my kids I was teh hair accessories w/ shampoo then dry them on a towel overnight.

MonPetite

I wash my scarves and bonnets with my laundry. :grin:

I don't bun so clips and hair pins make up most of my styling arsenal.

I do wash my combs as needed. :yep: