Do You Find the Longer You Stretch.....

janeemat

.......changing conditioners/regimen makes the stretch easier. Have any of you stretchers experienced this. Someone touched on this in the "Enough is Enough thread". But really, I had such a tangled mess Sat I thought enough was enough. Now I really think depending on the number of wks post you are determines what products you should use and what will work. I did my color shines rinse on Sat followed by cond WITHOUT getting under the dryer and I had a mess. So, I found that deep cond with heat is must for me, because it really softens up the ng and makes it easier to detangle. Yesterday's wash and set was a breeze ( so to speak) because I used my cond with heat (NONI). I lost very little hair. I did my set on the purple magnetic rollers and my hair is shiney and bouncy with lot's of body. Although, I'm still in the learning stages of stretching I'm really close to figuring out what works for me. I believe rollersetting will be my ticket to long stretches along with deep cond with heat. I'm so please with my hair today I really don't know if I will relax next wk. I will admit, that it can be time consuming but the results are worth it.

Proudpiscean

janeemat said:
.......changing conditioners/regimen makes the stretch easier. Have any of you stretchers experienced this. Someone touched on this in the "Enough is Enough thread". But really, I had such a tangled mess Sat I thought enough was enough. Now I really think depending on the number of wks post you are determines what products you should use and what will work. I did my color shines rinse on Sat followed by cond WITHOUT getting under the dryer and I had a mess. So, I found that deep cond with heat is must for me, because it really softens up the ng and makes it easier to detangle. Yesterday's wash and set was a breeze ( so to speak) because I used my cond with heat (NONI). I lost very little hair. I did my set on the purple magnetic rollers and my hair is shiney and bouncy with lot's of body. Although, I'm still in the learning stages of stretching I'm really close to figuring out what works for me. I believe rollersetting will be my ticket to long stretches along with deep cond with heat. I'm so please with my hair today I really don't know if I will relax next wk. I will admit, that it can be time consuming but the results are worth it.

Yep, My hair needs way more moisture when I'm 16 weeks post vs 8 weeks! I also have to style it differently (buns, braidouts) rather than straighter styles. And deep conditioning with heat is a must, otherwise the conditioner just sits on my hair and my newgrowth just laughs at it :lol:

Esmé

I've found that I have to switch conditioners, but my regimen is pretty much the same. The longer I go, the more my hair will be completely random and suddenly not like a conditioner that I've used for years, favor another and then go back and forth between the two. I always make sure that I have a variety of "favorites" just in case.

amwcah

Most definitely! In order for me to stretch to 5 months I had to incorporate different products. Therefore, I have a specific stretching regimen.

~*~ShopAholic~*~

Yup, I use certain conditioner only after I guess 12 wks post, I only have 2 to choose from, but sometimes I'll just apply the very very very moisturizing one to the root and something else to the shaft and ends if there asking for something else that day.

I'm right with you though, I'm not sure if I want to relax today or try to stretch a little longer. For me the only thing I can do for style right now is airdry in a pony I don't have the time to be fooling around w/the NG and this length it can be tiresome on the arms. :ohwell:

janeemat

And deep conditioning with heat is a must, otherwise the conditioner just sits on my hair and my newgrowth just laughs at it :lol:[/quote]

You couldn't have put it better!

scoobygirl

Stretching for me has fueled my PJism. The way my hair responds to products changes about every 4 wks post touch-up. The biggest problem after long stretches is dryness and tangles.

janeemat

BeautifulWideEyes said:
Yup, I use certain conditioner only after I guess 12 wks post, I only have 2 to choose from, but sometimes I'll just apply the very very very moisturizing one to the root and something else to the shaft and ends if there asking for something else that day.

Yes, moisturizing is the key. I guess I ordered my truck load of Dom at the right time. I will just play it week by week to see how it goes.

DKO

I agree. I have certain products that I use when I'm 10+ weeks that help detangle and provide slip so that I can stretch up to 16+ weeks.

Divine Inspiration

Yes...I mentioned this in HD's thread. I don't think there has to be an end to stretching (i.e. transitioning) if we have the proper techniques and products.

There are certain points of my stretch where ACV rinses are wonderful...other times, not so much. I can use a certain detangling comb in the earlier parts of the stretch, but as the stretch wears on, I have to use a different one.

So, I think once you get past a certain point that you've never been to before, you have to do some experimenting if you run into trouble. I kept trying things until I found what worked to get me over the humps.

janeemat

Divine Inspiration said:
Yes...I mentioned this in HD's thread. I don't think there has to be an end to stretching (i.e. transitioning) if we have the proper techniques and products.

There are certain points of my stretch where ACV rinses are wonderful...other times, not so much. I can use a certain detangling comb in the earlier parts of the stretch, but as the stretch wears on, I have to use a different one.

So, I think once you get past a certain point that you've never been to before, you have to do some experimenting if you run into trouble. I kept trying things until I found what worked to get me over the humps.

I wasn't sure if it was you or not. This makes a lot of since. I ordered me a Mason Pearson tail comb today because I'm tired of replacing the cheapies. I could feel my old one catching my hair last night as I was parting it. But Hey! I found me a stretch buddy.

~*~ShopAholic~*~

This is sooo true also, sometimes a wide tooth comb only is not gonna get it for me, I need to use a regular hairdressing comb too sometimes and I'm glad I've learned that.
Divine Inspiration said:

Divine Inspiration

janeemat said:
I wasn't sure if it was you or not. This makes a lot of since. I ordered me a Mason Pearson tail comb today because I'm tired of replacing the cheapies. I could feel my old one catching my hair last night as I was parting it. But Hey! I found me a stretch buddy.

Yep, you did. :) What is your game plan for the next 3 weeks? How often are you washing? What products are using?

janeemat

Divine Inspiration said:
Yep, you did. :) What is your game plan for the next 3 weeks? How often are you washing? What products are using?

DI, I wash Wed and Sat. I deep cond with heat and rollset each wash with purple magnetic rollers. I will cont this as long as I can part the hair. They give me a nice loose curl. I generally wear my hair down one day and then finger it up until the next wash. On Friday nights I pre-poo on dry hair with my Dom Olive Oil cond. Over the next 3 wks I will rotate my Dom cond with Aveda DR. Dom con are VERY moisturizing for my hair. I'm still tweeking my regi, but I think that I will start using my Aveda DR line every other Sat and use my Dom products in between (mainly). I didn't think I like the Dom poo, but I think that I found one that works for me, Nacidit Wheat Germ. Each day I apply Frederica Fekkai glossing cream to my ends. I may do a rod set tomorrow using my yellow and beige magnetic rollers. This blends pretty good with the ng. At this point I'm playing it by air and will focus on my weekly routine for as long as possible. Then I will relax!

Last edited:

bablou00

What are some other products you all are using when it comes to 9, 10, 11 and so on (post relaxer). I also agree w/ changing my regimen and the products that I use when I am stretching. I still am searching for the best detangler because my NG is no joke. Any suggestions. Maybe something cheap because I am going to be washing everyday or every other day. Aveda DR just came in the mail but I dont want to use that everyday