Do you guys still wear sew-ins...?

Do you still wear sew-ins ?

• Yes

Votes: 9 47.4%
  • No

Votes: 10 52.6%

• Total voters

hijadelpalmas

I get sew ins very very sporadically. If you don’t do them yourself or have a trusted person do them, they aren’t worth the hassle. I prefer wigs (none lacefront variety) or crochet braids if I’m gonna wear weave. Sometimes I’ll throw a ponytail in the mix.
Ah yes. You're right. I'm going to do a sew-in soon. I'm going to wait until I get a better quality wig, or make my own. Because the (2) wigs I got from Aliexpress, they seemed to be alil too small for me ?? Either that or I have a big head. I also don't know how to bleach the knots.

NaturalEnigma

It's funny I was talking to my cousin about this last week. I don't see people getting weaves anymore. I stop getting sew-ins when I went natural. They became so expensive. If the stylist is not that great, many times a full sew-in looks like a wig. I might as well just get a wig then. If I were to get a sew-in I would want a leave out, but finding natural hair weave is hard. If I was relaxed I would get sew-ins. I tried a quick weave a few years ago. I did it myself. As careful as I was I still managed to get glue on my hair. It was only a small piece, but the piece was on the crown of my head and the glue broke off my hair bad.

pink gator

Hello everyone ! I'm so glad to join you guys ! But like the title says, in this day and age, do people still wear sew-ins ? I haven't seen any posts recently concerning sew-ins so I was wondering. :)
Wow! I actually was scanning for more recent posts to see if anyone else still wears them!

My stylist installed microlinks and i-tips last month on my transitioning jaw-length hair (last relaxer was January 2020). I'm also regrowing a patch of hair that a stylist burned out via a heavy handed relaxer application back in 2007.

Apparently my scalp likes the microlinks but not the i-tips because the tips are sliding out near the treated area (he did not install anything to my regrowth). He really wants to grow my hair naturally and doesn't want me to go back to cutting and relaxing, so he wants to do a sew-in next month for free. I will wear it for about six months, with regular visits and reinstalls to give my scalp a rest and grow a few inches.

When I asked if stylists still do sew ins, he emphatically replied "no!" and added that the new pandemic-era craze is microlinks and I-tips. I don't want to look wiggy; I did have bomb, realistic sew ins with high-quality bundles only a few years ago.

I said all of that to say to get your sew-in, especially since it's one of the best protective styles if you properly maintain it.

(I'm really venting because I can't fully enjoy my microlinks and i-tips after spending $$$$$$$$ to get them done...but they will be back!)

Hope I helped somewhat.

hijadelpalmas

It's funny I was talking to my cousin about this last week. I don't see people getting weaves anymore. I stop getting sew-ins when I went natural. They became so expensive. If the stylist is not that great, many times a full sew-in looks like a wig. I might as well just get a wig then. If I were to get a sew-in I would want a leave out, but finding natural hair weave is hard. If I was relaxed I would get sew-ins. I tried a quick weave a few years ago. I did it myself. As careful as I was I still managed to get glue on my hair. It was only a small piece, but the piece was on the crown of my head and the glue broke off my hair bad.
Omg :confused:, well I hope your hair is flourishing now ! :)

hijadelpalmas

Wow! I actually was scanning for more recent posts to see if anyone else still wears them!

My stylist installed microlinks and i-tips last month on my transitioning jaw-length hair (last relaxer was January 2020). I'm also regrowing a patch of hair that a stylist burned out via a heavy handed relaxer application back in 2007.

Apparently my scalp likes the microlinks but not the i-tips because the tips are sliding out near the treated area (he did not install anything to my regrowth). He really wants to grow my hair naturally and doesn't want me to go back to cutting and relaxing, so he wants to do a sew-in next month for free. I will wear it for about six months, with regular visits and reinstalls to give my scalp a rest and grow a few inches.

When I asked if stylists still do sew ins, he emphatically replied "no!" and added that the new pandemic-era craze is microlinks and I-tips. I don't want to look wiggy; I did have bomb, realistic sew ins with high-quality bundles only a few years ago.

I said all of that to say to get your sew-in, especially since it's one of the best protective styles if you properly maintain it.

(I'm really venting because I can't fully enjoy my microlinks and i-tips after spending $$$$$$$$ to get them done...but they will be back!)

Hope I helped somewhat.
Oh wow ! I always wondered about microlinks . Do they last a long time ?

Last edited:

hijadelpalmas

I know that wigs are easier than sew-ins... but do you guys prefer frontals, closure wigs, etc ? I thing I always hated was to bleach the knots because I didn't know what I was doing.

ItsMeLilLucky

NotLucky no mo' just blessed.
I know that wigs are easier than sew-ins... but do you guys prefer frontals, closure wigs, etc ? I thing I always hated was to bleach the knots because I didn't know what I was doing.
I like the cheap ones. I’m too lazy to do that work. I whip it on and off. Lacefront probably look more realistic but at the end of the day it’s all fake hair lol

Blessed&higlyflavoured

I still wear sew ins.
I have chronic hand-in-hair syndrome, so a sew-in is great for me
I also have a very delicate nape and edges. Wigs chew up those parts of my hair. With a sew-in i can leave it out to flourish. I get textured hair so I can use a little bit of Jam or Edge control to blend and just lightly blow out my leave out. I'm working from home so I only blow it out when I'm going somewhere.
I wash my hair once a week and to keep the weave hair from looking too greasy I wash just the ends whenever it needs it.

icsonia22

What wigs would you recommend for a beginner ? & that's good because I have no experience with bleaching knots.
I get all of my wigs from amazon. I look at the reviews and the pictures. It has to have a good amount of reviews. The description generally tells you if its pre-plucked or if the knots come bleached. I use a wig grip to protect my edges instead of glue.

sunshinebeautiful

I haven't had one since March 2020. Right before everything shut down, I was in my sister's wedding. I wanted to have nice, long, flowing, wavy hair. It turned out great but I've been super low maintenance while working from home during the pandemic. I probably wouldn't get another sew-in unless there was a big event I wanted to attend in the future.

long.hair.dont.care

I had a weave in coming in to the new year 2021 and I really enjoyed it... and that was the first time in 11 years (and also the only other time I ever had a sew in). It was mostly weave and crochet in the front. A short wavy bob.. I did it myself. It was great!

Hoping to alternate between that and crochet. I retain well in those styles and phony ponys/buns.

I like the easy access wigs give, but at the moment my lifestyle calls for a style that is more a less ready when i wake up. I cant just slap on a wig, i have to make sure it is sitting in the right place at all times and I'm not a big fan of the combs in there. I dont go for wigs that need to be laid (I dont have the talent to do it, and I'm not interested in paying someone else to do, I have financial goals I'm trying to reach). I like wigs that are similar to my texture so there's leave out, but I also do not like having leave out OUT, simply because I retain less.

pink gator

@pink gator
do you need a relaxer for micro links? Does micro links works on natural hair or blow dryer 4c hair?
Yes, they are perfect for natural hair! Because the microlink/i-tip beads are pinched onto your hair, stylists prefer that you don't use a relaxer. Your hair can snap. This is why the current hair sellers are now selling 3c/4a and 4b/c virgin Brazilian wefts and links that blend effortlessly with your natural hair.

I can blow dry my install straight, flat iron it, or slick it with Ecostyler gel.

I buy Afro Curly wefts and links from here: Coco Hair Company.

C@ssandr@

formerly known as "keyawarren"
Wow!

This thread explains why I can't find any recent weave threads :lol:

I just got into weaves Jan/Feb of this year. I LOVE it! It is costly, but worth it to me. I go to my stylist (who is e x c e l l e n t, btw) to get it installed. Tomorrow is my 2nd install. She typically does 2 installs that last 3 monthd each, back to back. So 6 months of weave before giving a break. The timing is perfect for me because I have a wedding in 2.5 months and will need to take it down for a different style.

Wigs are cool, but I got tired of them and I don't remember why :lachen: that's how much I lub my weave I guess?

I have a weave with leave out and it's been a non-issue. My situation might be unique though: my real hair is natural, much thicker than average, and is BSL (last time I checked). So a weave, which is much thinner than my real hair is a welcome reprieve. It's a first world problem I'm trying to solve :look:

Also, my leave out has been treated with keratin to remain straight-ish.

So yeah. Once I remember why I gave wigs a break (and what progress I made after tomorrow's length check) I will update my post :D

Rocky91

NYE side boob.
Very few wigs can match a nicely blended sew-in with hair that matches your texture perfectly. Even the best frontals are clockable, in my opinion.

I would still maybe consider getting a sew-in or maybe even clip-ins for a special occasion, but I’m not wearing them or any other style involving fake hair on a regular basis anymore. Too much $$ and stress on the hair.

JJamiah

I wear sew ins. I leave it in 6 weeks only and take it out for 1-3 weeks. I also leave my hair out one month of the year after taking down my install (May).

I love my wigs but the security I get from my weaves, no wind, hands and hair flip to worry about is awesome. Plus, I keep my hands out my head by force. Might try leaving it in 8 weeks for the winter.

geminilive

Yes, they are perfect for natural hair! Because the microlink/i-tip beads are pinched onto your hair, stylists prefer that you don't use a relaxer. Your hair can snap. This is why the current hair sellers are now selling 3c/4a and 4b/c virgin Brazilian wefts and links that blend effortlessly with your natural hair.

I can blow dry my install straight, flat iron it, or slick it with Ecostyler gel.

I buy Afro Curly wefts and links from here: Coco Hair Company.
Pink Gator, I'm considering microlinks for 4-6 weeks. Can you please share your experience, did you experience hair thinning. It's been almost a year since my last relaxer and I'm considering transition with this as a styling option. Thanks!

pink gator

Pink Gator, I'm considering microlinks for 4-6 weeks. Can you please share your experience, did you experience hair thinning. It's been almost a year since my last relaxer and I'm considering transition with this as a styling option. Thanks!
@geminilive , I apologize for the late reply! My experience was good at first but they began to slip out (my hair is fine textured 3c/4a) and the itips' hair actually tangled, so my stylist removed them in June after only 2 months and did a partial sew-in. My hair is actually thriving as a result.

I don't want to discourage you from getting them; I believe the extensions and overall health of my hair weren't a good mix right now. We may revisit microlinks/itips in the future, but my stylist's and my overall goal is to grow my hair out (it's now touching my shoulders from a pixie cut) and possibly wear clip-ins for volume. Hope I helped some. Good luck!