Do you have a solid regimen but on the fence with your products?

lolo2470

I feel I finally have a regimen as far as wash days and deep conditioning but I haven't found those staple products to go along with my regimen. I'm trying to follow the KISS method. My regimen consists of CW's every other day and deep condition on Fridays. Lately, I've been using Aveda DR for my Friday wash and condition, which I really like so that may be a staple but its too expensive to use for my CW's. I tried the cheapie conditioners but my hair doesn't seem to like those. So if your like me and have a regimen but on the fence with your products maybe we can help each other.

Is there anyone that doesn't use cheap conditioners for CW's if so, what are you using? Thanks

TrendySocialite

I use Motions for my CW (usually CW 2x a week). To me it's a good in-between range product. Not sure if/how it will work for you.

ARR

ellebelle88

The more and more that I think about this question, the more I realize that having the "best" products are not the only thing that will contribute to hair growth.

I think that a lot of people, myself included, get so caught up in having these expensive products that we just forget to care for our hair in general. Instead we expect products to work the wonders. I had a two hour conversation with this girl from Trinidad whose hair is stunning: Long, black, and shiny. She told me that she uses many drugstore brand products and has very few high-end products. She said that many of the big companies own the drug store brand products anyway and when you get down to it, a lot of the products are the same thing. She is right and she obviously knows what she's talking about because her hair is gawgeous.

The things that she uses are products that I would have never given a chance such as Garnier Fructis' Playstyle Reshapable Putty and Optimum Light Hold Spray. I'm too wrapped up on the expensive stuff being said on the board.

I say all this to say that...as long as you have the mane staples in your regimen (a moisturizing shampoo, good deep conditioner, etc) and you are taking care of you hair, your hair will grow just fine. So many products work so many different ways on each head of hair. A lot of times it's not the product messing up our hair, it's us.

LivingDoll

ljbee,

I think you make an excellent point. I'm a newer member (although I don't feel like a "Newbie" anymore)...early in my journey, I decided that I'm not going to go tripping over the exotic and pricier products. I don't want to get "hooked" on something that's not readily accessible and/or affordable. On top of that, my hair responds well to BSS and drugstore brands. Of course, there are those that disagree and that's fine. I'm doing what works for me and not what's "HOT".

ETA: It's strange how many people love Elucence and Kenra but don't like QP although many of the products supposedly have the same ingredients. I know the ingredient ratios may be different but it just seems like some don't give the cheaper products a real chance. People like what they like, even if it's just the name.

Last edited:

ellebelle88

Daephae, I'm glad that you have that mentality because I think it will then be easier for you to achieve your goals.

Another thing that I wanted to clear up is that I'm not only talking about "expensive" products. But its the fact that sometimes I use so many products. I know I'm always hopping on a different bandwagon instead of being consistent. When I think about it, its those people who have remained consistent with certain products/regiments that actually achieve growth.

I know many people who are not on this board and have achieved crazy length without much work besides basic caring for their hair. Not using every single product on the market. In a way, I'm fussing at myself because I am completely guilty of this.

By the way, I love your username. Is that your actual name?

LivingDoll

Daephae, I'm glad that you have that mentality because I think it will then be easier for you to achieve your goals.

Another thing that I wanted to clear up is that I'm not only talking about "expensive" products. But its the fact that sometimes I use so many products. I know I'm always hopping on a different bandwagon instead of being consistent. When I think about it, its those people who have remained consistent with certain products/regiments that actually achieve growth.

I know many people who are not on this board and have achieved crazy length without much work besides basic caring for their hair. Not using every single product on the market. In a way, I'm fussing at myself because I am completely guilty of this.

Are you referring to me? If yes, it's a combo of my first and middle names Danise (pronounced Dae-niece) Phaedra.

LivingDoll

BTW, I totally agree! My hair "idol" lonei has a very simple regimen and her hair is TDF! There are many others that also have simple regimens. I tend to follow those sistahs. :yep:

OP, I apologize for hijacking.

MrsJersey

Is there anyone that doesn't use cheap conditioners for CW's if so, what are you using? Thanks

I CW every other day so I can't afford an expensive conditioner as well. So I usually rely on either Herbal Essence Long Term Relationship or Pantene Breakage Defense. HTH

Extremus

Is there anyone that doesn't use cheap conditioners for CW's if so, what are you using?

Sometimes I find myself using KeraCare Humecto on my co-washes. I know it maybe too expensive to use as a "co-wash" but sometime I can't refuse :yawn:

LivingDoll

I CW every other day so I can't afford an expensive conditioner as well. So I usually rely on either Herbal Essence Long Term Relationship or Pantene Breakage Defense. HTH

Hi MrsJersey...I'm confused...you're saying that you can't afford expensive condish for CW's but you're asking if there's anyone who does not use cheap condish's for CW's?

LABETT

Same Here,When I first joined years ago I was caught up on product bandwagons and was not having any progress.
I was using too many different products and no consitency.
An expensive lession, I found out techinque is the key not a product.
When I started protective styling,bagging,stretching relaxer etc I started to see progress.

HaveSomeWine

I'm like this. I know my hair likes to be shampooed, conditioned and brushed every 3-4 days with trims twice a year. My curls behave best when I moisturize with rinse out or leave in conditioner and seal with a silicone serum. My hair also responds well to oiling before washing. I switch up products all of the time because I like trying new things. Just about any shampoo, conditioner and serum seem to work for my hair anyway. I'm not sure if I will ever have staple products simply because I am a bit of a product junkie.

Last edited: