Do You Like Animals? and Herbal Essences?

poookie

Just found out that Procter and Gamble, the parent company of Herbal Essences... tests on animals.

That's why there's no disclaimer on the bottles saying they don't test on animals.

Personally I don't mind... if they want to give beavers and lab mice swanging hair like mine then that's fine... just thought I'd breeze this by everyone who's a fan of this line.

JustKiya

:look:

Urm, animal testing kinda implies that sort of thing. I don't think/know if there if a 'Cruelty-Free' animal testing label. *shudder*

Forever in Bloom

I did not know that...now I guess I won't be using the stuff I bought 'cause I am completely against animal testing. I even dumped all my chapsticks and lip glosses out for an organic/non-animal-tested one. I'd rather see mice running around with chapped lips than swollen ones :nono:

anon123

Aw, man, I forgot to even think about that. I may be okay with animal testing for life-saving medical procedures, but not for sweet-smelling hair. Shoot.

Traycee

Please don't hate me for being honest...But it would be hypocritical of me to give up HE and keep my furs....I love my furs and I love HE

onyxcabelo

:look:

Urm, animal testing kinda implies that sort of thing. I don't think/know if there if a 'Cruelty-Free' animal testing label. *shudder*

I was under the impression that there were certain companies that follow strict guidelines as it pertains to testing on animals. For example, if testing must be done, it is done as humanely as possible - without added and unnecessary cruelty/stress to the animal. Additionally, if the animal must be euthanized after testing, then again, the euthanasia is to be done as humanely and respectfully as possible( i.e. no bullets to the head). Where euthanasia is not required, the company will then take appropriate steps to have the animal placed with an appropriate animal adoption agency (something that I'm sure is very rare:rolleyes:). I do know, that there are certain companies that are required by law to test on animals before making products available to the general public - I'm not suggesting that Proctor & Gamble is such a company, but seeing that I like their products, my hope is that they will at least do the right thing and take care of the animals they test on, otherwise I'm certain that PETA will be after them in no time:yep:. Or maybe I'm just :spinning:.

Je Ne Sais Quoi

Just found out that Procter and Gamble, the parent company of Herbal Essences... tests on animals.

That's why there's no disclaimer on the bottles saying they don't test on animals.

Personally I don't mind... if they want to give beavers and lab mice swanging hair like mine then that's fine... just thought I'd breeze this by everyone who's a fan of this line.
I don't think that is the gyst of the testing...

JustKiya

I was under the impression that there were certain companies that follow strict guidelines as it pertains to testing on animals. For example, if testing must be done, it is done as humanely as possible - without added and unnecessary cruelty/stress to the animal. Additionally, if the animal must be euthanized after testing, then again, the euthanasia is to be done as humanely and respectfully as possible( i.e. no bullets to the head). Where euthanasia is not required, the company will then take appropriate steps to have the animal placed with an appropriate animal adoption agency (something that I'm sure is very rare:rolleyes:). I do know, that there are certain companies that are required by law to test on animals before making products available to the general public - I'm not suggesting that Proctor & Gamble is such a company, but seeing that I like their products, my hope is that they will at least do the right thing and take care of the animals they test on, otherwise I'm certain that PETA will be after them in no time:yep:. Or maybe I'm just :spinning:.

:yep: I certainly hope so. Dear gods, I really hope so. This is one of the reasons I REALLY like LUSH - I know they don't do ANY animal testing...

anon123

So as I was in my shower this morning I decided to look at the back of my bottles and see who had the "no animal testing" label. Herbal Essences did not have, Suave did not have it, my Softsoap body wash did not have it. My J/A/S/O/N lavender shampoo did, not shockingly, and also V05 had it, so I was happy about that, at least. I'm pretty sure the small handmade stuff from Oyin and Karen's Body Beautiful is not animal-tested, too.

Why didn't I think to look for this stuff before? Maybe this will help curb my PJism.

gharp001

I pulled the following from the Herbal Essences website:
http://herbalessences.com/us/faq/index.jsp#3

Are your products tested on animals?P&G, the parent company for Herbal Essences, has ended research involving animals on all our finished consumer products except when required by law. We use non-animal alternatives first. We'll only use animal testing when there are no other reasonable options. We'd like to be able eliminate animal research on ingredients in consumer products altogether, and we're making progress. We've invested over $190 million in alternatives, making us an industry leader. We're also working with the FDA and respected animal welfare groups, such as the Humane Society of the United States, to work on reforming regulations and validating alternative methods. To learn more, check out our website here.

http://www.pg.com/science/animal_alt.jhtml

Cleve_gryl

:nono: No likey animal cruelty. Aveda products say People Tested, so it has to be the chemicals HE is putting on lab animals to test out.

anon123

^^^Thank you for posting that. I went to their website but didn't see right away and just shot off an email to ask, so that's probably the link they would have provided me with.

JustKiya

I pulled the following from the Herbal Essences website:
http://herbalessences.com/us/faq/index.jsp#3

Are your products tested on animals?P&G, the parent company for Herbal Essences, has ended research involving animals on all our finished consumer products except when required by law. We use non-animal alternatives first. We'll only use animal testing when there are no other reasonable options. We'd like to be able eliminate animal research on ingredients in consumer products altogether, and we're making progress. We've invested over $190 million in alternatives, making us an industry leader. We're also working with the FDA and respected animal welfare groups, such as the Humane Society of the United States, to work on reforming regulations and validating alternative methods. To learn more, check out our website here.

http://www.pg.com/science/animal_alt.jhtml

:look: When a major company starts talking about 'reasonable options', I'm always pressed to wonder whose standard of 'reasonable' are they talking about? Personally, unless they say they do NONE, I don't trust it.

But then, even the human testing that a lot of places do skeeves me out - the 'source' of their 'human' test subjects is a very sore spot with me.... but that's a WHOLE nother activist issue.