Do you really base your scalp before a relaxer?

leona2025

Ok I have been self relaxing since I was 16. I have never based my scalp. I almost never burn unless I scratch and I mean like going to town scratching. I can scratch on the day of the relaxer and usually not burn. Does everyone base before relaxing and what is the benefit?

Lady S

I have to. I use lye relaxer and have a sensitive scalp. If I don't use base, I burn and/or my hair gets underprocessed.

HoneyDew

I used to skip it. Never had a problem.

Now, I always worry more than I used to about my body and health.

Even though I keep relaxing my hair, I know these are harsh chemicals and I feel better protecting my skin as much as I can.

nicki6

I have been basing because I have a sensitive scalp but I was too lazy to do it last Friday. It seems that as long as I don't have any abrasiona or a dermatitis flareup, my hair and scalp do just fine without it:up:

gorgeous86

Now, I ALWAYS base my scalp. Not only does it stop my scalp from burning, but it prevents my scalp from flaking after the relaxer. (Up until I went natural I had flakes. Everyone said that it was dandruff. I went natural and the flakes went away. I relaxed and they came back. I started basing my scalp before relaxing and I haven't had this problem since.)

Crackers Phinn

Either A Blessing Or A Lesson.
Before I found the boards I never based my scalp. While I never felt the relaxer burn while it was on, I'd have scabbing later.

Now I base my scalp lightly with vaseline and my stylist bases with whatever basing agent comes in the Affirm kit. It may be overkill, but I'm also going for a more texturized look instead of bone straight.

HarlemHottie

Girl YES I BASE!!! If I don't that perm can only stay in for a hot second and Mickey (my hair dresser) goes to fussing at me in spanish.... She says she has to put the base everywhere when she does my NO LYE relaxer because I go to weeping before she can get the perm out of the jar...lol

Determined22

I always base. I don't have a sensitive scalp and I hardly ever burn, but basing was a part of the way I learned how to do relaxers, so I just keep doing it.

miami74

I must base my scalp because I have an extremely sensitive scalp. I use Summit Sensitive Scalp Base Creme.

Angelicus

I based my scalp almost 3 days straight before my last relaxer a few days ago. It was my first time basing my scalp and my hair didn't burn until I began rinsing the relaxer out. I am basing my scalp from now on.

ShiShiPooPoo

I base about a day before and my stylist bases me on the day of. I didn't use to and never had issues but...it just makes sense to do it.:yep:

Latomian

I usually base myself and then have the stylist base me. I must, lye or no-lye, because I will burn. You're a lot like my sister. She doesn't burn easily but I still tell her to base.

mahogany_horizons

GOOD LORD!! BEFORE THIS THREAD I THOUGHT EVERYONE BASED. ouchers...my scalp is so sensitive it would be falling out in clumps and I would be at the ER lol!!

leona2025

Thanks for all the responses ladies. I have never had a professional relax my hair. It's always been me, my sister, or my mom. If basing is solely for not burning then I probably don't need to do it.

Simply_Kelz

I base my scalp, ears and edges, and usually do extra if I scratched in a particular area. It stops the burn for me and protects my skin.

Misseyl

I put vaseline on my edges, my neck and ears.. I also apply profectiv to my scalp on my nape and edges because I don't want to get it relaxed. My edges have thinned out over the years so each time I relax, I apply profectiv healthy ends to my scalp in the front to prevent further damage. I've been doing this awhile, and while I don't seen any difference in length, or growth in that area, I'll continue doing it because it didn't take weeks for my edges to get thinned out, it took years so I guess it'll take years for it to come back, if it's all possible.

Aggie

Definitely I base my scalp before relaxing. I often use a regular strength lye relaxer but the last time I relaxed I used Mizani Butter Blend and forgot to base and didn't get burned at all. I finally did start to feel a slight tingling sensation in my nape area but that was like 14 minutes later which was time to take it out anyway. There were no scabbing afterwards either. This is not to say that I will not be basing, because I will be:yep:.

MarieB

I always base, and now I put on extra because I have had way too many burns in the past. I used to let it slide because I wanted my relaxers to be straighter, but it's just not worth the damage to my scalp.

imaccami

I never used to base and never had a problem. I started basing when I switched to lye. Now I base everytime.