Does anyone ever feel like just giving up?

I really feel like giving up all of a sudden. Not completely giving up but not putting as much effort as I have before into this whole haircare process. Right now I am doing everything I possibly can to reach my goal of WL by the end of this year.

I just find it funny that I am over here breaking my back to get to a length that some women retain so easily without all the mess I am going through. Although I am not completely satisfied with my length right now, I am grateful. I just feel like getting a really bone straight press, nice trim with some thick heavy ends and let my hair do its own thing. Then put some shades on, lipgloss, get my sexy on and let my hair blow in the wind. lol

PLEASE do not tell me I am alone....

Yes I used to feel like giving up but I'm feeling really positive about my hair right now.

Your hair looks great! Shoot, I'm trying to get to your starting pic :lol:

IMO, I don't think WL is "easy" to attain. Not saying it can't happen. The longer your hair is, the older your ends are, and the more fragile they are (like anything else that is old) so protective styles, less manipulation might be necessary.

What is your regimen now?

I understand where you're coming from- when I feel like that I just put my hair in braids or a full weave and ignore it for a few weeks...

I really feel like giving up all of a sudden. Not completely giving up but not putting as much effort as I have before into this whole haircare process. Right now I am doing everything I possibly can to reach my goal of WL by the end of this year.

I just find it funny that I am over here breaking my back to get to a length that some women retain so easily without all the mess I am going through. Although I am not completely satisfied with my length right now, I am grateful. I just feel like getting a really bone straight press, nice trim with some thick heavy ends and let my hair do its own thing. Then put some shades on, lipgloss, get my sexy on and let my hair blow in the wind. lol

Girl, you know you are not alone!!!

I think it is important to focus on YOUR hair and try not to concern yourself with how fast one person or the next gets to the goal that you have in mind for yourself or in other words, how fast someone else reaches *your* goal.

Keep in mind, too, that what separates us with an average growth rate from everyone else with the same growing rate is the fact that we are dedicated to our haircare practices...that is why you are only inches away from where soooooooooo many others want to be (including myself :)).

There is nothing wrong with taking a break and letting your hair do its thang! In fact, I would encourage it.

Hang in there girl! I am looking forward to your year end WL report!!!

That's called low manipulation. :grin:
It is okay to not focus so much on your hair. Just dont take damaging short cuts that would make you have set backs. It is difficult to be "ON" all the time with routines and products and all the other stuff we do.

Yes I used to feel like giving up but I'm feeling really positive about my hair right now.

IMO, I don't think WL is "easy" to attain. Not saying it can't happen. The longer your hair is, the older your ends are, and the more fragile they are (like anything else that is old) so protective styles, less manipulation might be necessary.

to the bolded... I agree.:yep:

I need that positivity!!! lol And thank you for the compliment. And you are right WL isn't easy to attain. I just feel like its too much drama to get there only to cut back to a healthy MBL. (Those are my plans at least.)

My regimen now is pretty packed with low manipulation and protective styles. I try to baggy every so often and I am very gentle with my hair. I wash my hair twice a month sometimes only once.

I feel ya. I scaled back my regimen a few months ago. I need to pour my energy and attention into something else for a while.

They call it benign neglect:yep: You just leave it alone and most of the time it will do what you need it to do.

Wish i had your problem :look: Your hair is beautiful. You are at an awesome length that most of us are dreaming about.

You are not alone though, but at least you are alot further than most of us.:yep:

You are NOT alone. It has happened to me many times, especially during and after a particularly harrowing detangling session. I have actually fantasized about trimming or cutting...sometimes back to bsl and just going on about my business without giving much of a thought about hair. The idea always fades within the next day or two. But I've soooo been there and still go there more often than I'd like. In my case, it happens when I have a busy schedule which causes me not to detangle in a timely fashion...leading to all sorts of mess on my head. Those are the times that I just look in the mirror and want to give up. Just makes me tired looking at it. Luckily, most of the time I love my hair and I'm always grateful to have it. But I can certainly relate.

Are you natural? Either way, your hair is beautiful. It's so thick and healthy looking. I could only pray to be in your shoes one day with that length.:yep:

I can understand. I never feel like completely giving up but I do go through periods of laziness when I just don't want to be bothered.

Do not give up though look at where your hair has come from to what it is now! Your hair looks beautiful and very healthy to me!:yep: Don't give Up

Yea I feel like that at times & it doesn't hurt to just take a break & do something different. Wear your hair out for a couple weeks, get a press, treat yourself to something you rarely do & just enjoy what you have now. You will feel better & if your hair is truly healthy (which it certainly appears to be) it'll survive a two week break. Just don't cut!! :lol:

It is part of the journey. You have hills and valleys in it.

Absolutely natural to feel that way once in a while trying to reach a hair goal.

Sometimes it is good to just put the hair away (lo mani styles) get on automatic pilot with the hair and spend that time doing something else for a minute.

It will pass. :yep:

Yeah we all feel like that at times, but that low manipulation is what will give you the growth spurt you need! I know when I first joined this board I was sooo dedicated and I saw fast results. When my results slowed down, I lost interest, and ever since then I felt liek my heart wasn't in it. But I'm just gotta KISS and hopefully at the end of the summer I would have gained at least an inch or two, and you will too! You'll be WL at no time just take a breather and be positive

Yeah.... I'm feeling that way right now :wallbash:. I think I just need to get a fresh relaxer and trim. The thing is that I had made a "spiritual promise" that I would not cut my hair until January, but my ends are starting to feel a bit dry... not sure yet. This weekend is going to be very trying... we'll see.

:ohwell:

Sure do..just a little anyway but I've scaled back on all the products..keeping it simple and wigging it. My focus has turned from length because I know I can obtain it but now my focus is total hair health.

sure, i think we all do at some point.

that's why i think it's important to enjoy your hair sometimes. sure i would've retained more length if i hadn't done so much trimming my first year, and done a shape-up every year after that. but i'd be less happy about my look, and knowing me i'd eventually say forget it and opt for something cute but lower-maintenance.

at least this way, i get the best of both worlds. :yep:

Some days - I am ready to run to the relaxer.
Other days I am ready to run to DH's Clippers and SHAVE it CLEAN.
we all go through it.

Yeah.... I'm feeling that way right now :wallbash:. I think I just need to get a fresh relaxer and trim. The thing is that I had made a "spiritual promise" that I would not cut my hair until January, but my ends are starting to feel a bit dry... not sure yet. This weekend is going to be very trying... we'll see.

:ohwell:

Your hair is gorgeous. I have sent you a PM.

You are NOT alone. It has happened to me many times, especially during and after a particularly harrowing detangling session. I have actually fantasized about trimming or cutting...sometimes back to bsl and just going on about my business without giving much of a thought about hair. The idea always fades within the next day or two. But I've soooo been there and still go there more often than I'd like. In my case, it happens when I have a busy schedule which causes me not to detangle in a timely fashion...leading to all sorts of mess on my head. Those are the times that I just look in the mirror and want to give up. Just makes me tired looking at it. Luckily, most of the time I love my hair and I'm always grateful to have it. But I can certainly relate.

You are sooo right Cichelle. I mostly feel this way when or after I detangle my hair.

I don't think hair care should ever be such a huge task. If I ever feel like I need to "give up" then I am going to much.

But, maybe I am not one to give advice. I do feel that many people go overboard with their haircare routines and getting this many inches a month and reaching this length by that time. :spinning:

:yawn::yawn: Maybe I am just over "it". Let me go over to the Off Topic and Entertainment sections. LOL

I don't think hair care should ever be such a huge task. If I ever feel like I need to "give up" then I am going to much.

But, maybe I am not one to give advice. I do feel that many people go overboard with their haircare routines and getting this many inches a month and reaching this length by that time. :spinning:

:yawn::yawn: Maybe I am just over "it". Let me go over to the Off Topic and Entertainment sections. LOL

ITA. I think when you consume your life with your hair, it can seem like you aren't making the progress you want. Focus on other things, let your hair do its thing! That's not to say you shouldn't take care of it....but I find that I noticed my hair progressing when I stopped obsessing over it:yep:

Back