Does anyone retain 100% of their growth?

Solitude

I don't retain all of my length this year and I think it's due to trimming and braidouts. From now on, I'm with the Cathy Howse method (no trimming!) - I don't think trimming is necessary except for 1) getting rid of severely damaged hair (which I don't have), and 2)appearance. Her logic is that hair doesn't split evenly, so split ends break off to one side, and do not split all the way up the hair shaft. Also, when you trim, you simply expose yet another end that may inevitably split.

My hair retained the most length when I did weekly rollersets alternated with protective styling via phony ponytails, and used the Search and Destroy method instead of trimming/dusting. I also deep conditioned for long periods of time, often without heat.

ETA: I also did pre-poos with essential oils mixed w/conditioner, scalp massages, and the towel method of steaming. Man, I was so good to my hair. I worry too much about styling it lately when I need to just leave it alone.

thenimblelife22

I don't retain all of my length this year and I think it's due to trimming and braidouts. From now on, I'm with the Cathy Howse method (no trimming!) - I don't think trimming is necessary except for 1) getting rid of severely damaged hair (which I don't have), and 2)appearance. Her logic is that hair doesn't split evenly, so split ends break off to one side, and do not split all the way up the hair shaft. Also, when you trim, you simply expose yet another end that may inevitably split.

I must pick up this Cathy Howse book. I remember learning about it years ago when I first went natural, then I heard about it again per Kimmaytube. Howse' theory is interesting about split ends. I just really hate the way raggedy ends look regardless of whether or not they are damaged. Guess I gotta get over that until I reach my goal :perplexed

mostamaziing

Hi I'm Chrissy (✿◠‿◠)

iswear trimming is just for looks. my old old stylist would cut my hair every week just to even out my hair. thats all. my hair grows fastest in the back, and icant see what shes cutting until she's done and isee it on the floor :ohwell:

janda

My hair retained the most length when I did weekly rollersets alternated with protective styling via phony ponytails, and used the Search and Destroy method instead of trimming/dusting. I also deep conditioned for long periods of time, often without heat.

ETA: I also did pre-poos with essential oils mixed w/conditioner, scalp massages, and the towel method of steaming. Man, I was so good to my hair. I worry too much about styling it lately when I need to just leave it alone.

I also read Cathy Howse's book and found it to be very informative. I'm sticking with her methods as they seem to actually work. No trimming over here.:yep:

bride91501

I think I'm now retaining all of my length as well. I PS 95% of the time in cornrows under wigs (using Lady Ps DMM) and I slather my ends in shea butter before tucking and pinning them under. I started my HHJ on June 1 of this year, I've retained about 4" of growth since then.

Compare this to the pathetic 2.5" I retained between October 2009- May 2010 before I found LHCF, and I KNOW this is because of my regimen and all that I've learned here.

I did experience some splits in the summer because I was still trying to understand my hair and wasn't sealing and protecting my ends properly. I ended up cutting off about 1" this past summer.

So, for me, the key is properly moisturizing all of my hair, protecting and sealing my ends as much as possible, and *listening* to my hair on a daily basis so that I can avoid a potential setback.

ms-gg

Aka frostoppa
I think I would if I didn't trim my hair so often :(

I don't get breakage or split "ends" that often if at all. I told myself that I would fall back from the scissors from now on so I could hang on to more hair instead of trimming it away unnecessarily.

SimJam

I think I retained all I grew lst year.

BC'd to abt 0.5 inch in nov of 2009 and I have 6 inches of hair now. I did 1 dust of abt 0.25 inch or less last year