Protective styling and no heat

slw980205

For those of you that do protective styles and use no/minimal direct heat do you think it has helped you grow and/or retain length. I have been alternating between cornrows, french braids, and twists to keep my ends protected. I have noticed a difference. The last time I flatironed my hair was at the end of January and it was about neck length. After taking down my cornrows 2 days ago my hair was SL. I will continue to do these styles with no heat except for when I dust my ends 1-2 more times this year and dcing once a week. I am a natural 4b and want to be between APL and BSL straightened by May 2010. I just wanted to know from those who have done this if it has helped you retain length or does it end up being more damaging to your hair.

Soliel185

It has definitely helped me! :yep:

I'm transitioning, so it's really important for me to baby my hair if I want to avoid breakage at the demarcation line. I just straightened my hair for the first time in 4 months, and I can see the improvements.

In my avatar pic I haven't trimmed in over a year. :hide:

supermodelsonya

I noticed the less I fool with my hair, It will grow. My choice of protective styles are sew ins and braids. I have gotten from EL to past SL wearing my sew ins.

Due to setbacks caused by baggying incorrectly, flat ironing (happy to finally have hair on my shoulders) and playing with my hair, caused me to go straight back to NL. : (

Now, I wear my daily "Megatek bun" I take it down, only to moisturize and apply my growth aides. I pretty much wear this style every day and it's working because I'm getting more length and thickness.

I keep breaking those pony tail holders. I may get closer to APL this year after all.

malibu4590

Protective styling and no heat helped me tremendously. I am almost 15 months post and it has made my transition from texlaxed to natural a breeze. I wash, dc, detangle and make about 12 braids that are hidden under my wig. I've retained all of my growth this way.

I definitely think you'll reach your goal OP if you continue your current routine. Good Luck!

msa

Protective styling and no heat definitely helps me retain length the best. I do celie braids and put them under a wig and I'm good to go.

slw980205

Thanks for the responses. All of you ladies on this forum have been an inspiration to me. I will continue to do my method of PS and heat 2-3 times a year. I just think I need to continue to be persistent with my regimine and be patient. I am not going to go from SL to MBL in
3 months :nono:

Lanea87

Natural Gang Gang Gang
Work for me havent used direct heat on my hair since Oct08, and I hate being bothered with my hair so its always up.

mariofmagdal

Protective styling and no heat is a way of life for me. It works. I am natural and really do not like bothering with my hair at all. My hair retains length and is very healthy.

Mars_Reiko

I just recently jump on the protective style wagon again a few months ago. I see a big difference. I just reached bsl for the second time. This time around I'm hoping to get over the hump by continuing protective styles. And not be overcomed by the "i wanna show off my hair" phase lol

slw980205

I just recently jump on the protective style wagon again a few months ago. I see a big difference. I just reached bsl for the second time. This time around I'm hoping to get over the hump by continuing protective styles. And not be overcomed by the "i wanna show off my hair" phase lol

Congratulations on reaching BSL again. Hopefully with protective styling and no heat I will be BSL in about 2 years.