Does going to the salon make you feel like you're being pampered?

shynessqueen

I have a friend the always went to the salon growing up. Now as a adult she has falling on hard time and can't afford to go the the salon anymore.
She is going a lil crazy because she can't go to the salon on the regular anymore. I ask her why don't she learn how to take care of her own hair. Her response was because she feels pampered when she goes to the salon and she not going to give that up.:ohwell:

Do y'all feel pampered when you go to the salon. Is that's the reason why y'all go to the salon?

Last edited:

honeybadgirl

i used to years ago. but in the world today, everything is so different and that goes back to customer service. when i was a teenager my mom would take me to get my hair done and they served your every whim, wine, cookies, juice, fruit, all of that was served. now you go and some places make you pay 1st, have you waiting in there for houuuuurrrrssss, other people handle your hair and the stylist just trims and/or curls it.
its not a pampering experience, not for me anymore. actually i dread going:nono:

Dee-Licious

I kinda felt pampered. I more so liked the aspect sitting up talking and laughing with all of the stylists and other clients. Watching tv or listening to music and discussing we saw or heard.

It was sort of a meeting place that I enjoyed. I enjoy growing my hair more and use the OT as my salon talk (because like right this second I'm under the dryer and on LHCF) so I no longer go to the salon.

northernbelle

I have a friend the always went to the salon growing up. Now as a adult she has falling on hard time and can't afford to go the the salon anymore.
She is going a lil crazy because she can't go to the salon on the regular anymore. I ask her why don't she learn how to take care of her own hair. Her response was because she feels pampered when she goes to the salon and she not going to give that up.:ohwell:

Do y'all feel pampered when you go to the salon. Is that's the reason why y'all go to the salon?

Honestly, it depends on which salon, and for which purpose.

When I go to the day spa I patronize for my brow/lip wax, my manicures and pedicures, and my cut and style, as well as an occasional full body massage - yes; I feel *very* pampered. After all, this is the objective of a day spa.

When I go to the JC Penney salon for my relaxer touch-up, it can be somewhat unrelaxing, at least at the beginning. I don't always know what sort of time schedule my stylist is on, which affects how long I have to wait, which increases my stress level. I also arrive early on a Saturday morning, and so when I have to wait, I become annoyed. When I am under the dryer, I relax, and sometimes I even take a snooze. When the stylist is relaxing, rinsing, shampooing, styling, etc. I am alert and attentive. I am alert and attentive when the stylist at the day spa is cutting my hair, too, but, even there I am able to relax more. She is also young, and so we chat about a lot of different things. I do the same with the aesthetistician who waxes me, and the nail tech who peforms the manis and pedis. Perhaps because I see them more regulary, I have built up more of a relationship with them, and have gotten to know them better.

The aura between the two establishments is different, thus contributing to a different mood on my part.

BrownBetty

It was until LHCF but that was because I was ignorant about things like leaving the relaxer on long or how my hair should feel after a DC. So I would let the stylist do whatever as long as it didn't hurt or make me look crazy. Now I go and I watch them like a hawk. My regular stylist knows the drill so not really her but when I get a wash and set from my other spot I have to let them know.

I am going more often now because at my new spot the water pressure is boo boo and I would be in that shower for an hour trying to wash this mess.

MV

Glib Gurl

Absolutely! I love the feeling of someone washing, combing, and styling my hair . . . I feel like a little queen :D

KhandiB

When I did go I never felt pampered because they hardly ever did what I asked, I always ended leaving Mad and redoing my hair when I got home .

:lol:

I cant afford to be just testin out hairdressers

prospurr4

After reading some of these hair horror stories, going to the salon now makes me feel :eek:. I pamper myself at home (hair, manicure, pedicure, etc.) and actually enjoy it.:yep:

chellero

Wife Supremacist
No, it makes me feel like my hair is being ripped out and damaged. I still do the day spa thing, but they are going to have to leave my hair alone until I get over my last bad experience.

SunnyDelight

I hope not to get stoned for this statement but this has been my experience with salons.

When I go into "our" salons to support and patronize businesses owned by my sisters/brothers, I don't feel pampered at all. I feel - from the time I walk in until I leave a "tip" that they believe that they are doing me a favor. That is the vibe/attitude I get the entire time (that is, when they aren't on the phone, gossiping, or eating). There is absolutely no TLC or pampering going on. Most times they are way too overbooked to even take the time to give a proper greeting.

However, I do feel pampered when I go to non-ethnic (not my ethnicity) salons get a facial, manicure, pedicure, waxing, body scrub, massage :)) I am walked to the door and leave with a goodie bag full of samples. Best part about it, they are usually giving me tips about how to improve this or that in regards to beauty.

It saddens me because salons are service industries and they would all make so much more money if giving GOOD, HONEST SERVICE was at the forefront of their mission.

Last edited:

sareca

I agree with the other ladies. Getting a pedicure make me feel pampered. The salon stresses me out. I might feel differently if I had a regular stylist tho.

Incredible1ne

I don't go to the salon to be pampered. I go because I can't do certain styles. Getting a massage or a facial makes me feel pampered. The salon experience always annoys me.

Blackoutzangel05

I have always gone to the salon, since I was in 2nd grade. However, I have noticed that the stylists have changed and lowered their standards. The work ethics are piss poor. There was once a time that if my appointment started at 7 am then I would be at the shampoo bowl at 650, because they stylist knew my time was valuable. And to have the stylists not there when I arrived....no way!!! But nowadays, I have gone to the salon and arrived, waited got my hair done and some clients haven't even been acknowledged yet....But I have met some great people from the salon!!!

Anyway,when I decided to take care of my hair I was horrified, not because of the pampering...whatever..it was because I hadn't done my hair EVER...I was styling challenged and besides washing, shampooing and putting it in a ponytail, I couldn't do anything to it. It took time, patience and plenty of phony ponies when the style didn't come out, but I got it and I know that I can take care of my hair better than anyone else!

prtybrwnis

Yes, I feel pampered when I go to the salon. My stylist is wonderful. He listens and consults with me on everything. My salon has a wonderful atmosphere. It is also an art gallery, so there are beautiful pieces of art and nice music in the background. I love the conversation with other patrons and stylists. I don't go as often as I used to, but when I go I enjoy it. Especially the shampoo and scalp massage!

KeraKrazy

Thickness before length
I do not feel pampered going to the salon at all, I feel very stressed I usually spend my time there praying my hair comes out the way I want it to and that I get seen and leave on time and they don't try to convince me that I need a trim/relaxer/treatment or anything else I didn't ask for to bump up the price.

honeybadgirl

I hope not to get stoned for this statement but this has been my experience with salons.

When I go into "our" salons to support and patronize businesses owned by my sisters/brothers, I don't feel pampered at all. I feel - from the time I walk in until I leave a "tip" that they believe that they are doing me a favor. That is the vibe/attitude I get the entire time (that is, when they aren't on the phone, gossiping, or eating). There is absolutely no TLC or pampering going on. Most times they are way too overbooked to even take the time to give a proper greeting.

However, I do feel pampered when I go to non-ethnic (not my ethnicity) salons get a facial, manicure, pedicure, waxing, body scrub, massage :)) I am walked to the door and leave with a goodie bag full of samples. Best part about it, they are usually giving me tips about how to improve this or that in regards to beauty.

It saddens me because salons are service industries and they would all make so much more money if giving GOOD, HONEST SERVICE was at the forefront of their mission.

ITA with you!! thats what i'm saying. and for the ladies that said they feel pampered, i havent read why you feel pampered. what do they do, what makes your experience a pampering, relaxing oasis???

CurliDiva

I've never found a slaon that I truly feel pampered by - the regular ones always want to relax my hair which is a BIG non-no for me and even my braid shop complains about the amount/thickness of hair on my head.

I guess if I was relaxed with thinning hair, I would be set!:perplexed

I would love to find a natural hair salon that took their time to pamper and care for my hair and not charge an arm and leg!:yep:

Last edited:

prtybrwnis

Well, I feel pampered at my salon because I am always seen promptly. I never wait over 10 minutes. There is a deli/smoothie business next door that delivers. So, the receptionist at the salon may take your order for fruit, smoothies, donuts, sandwiches and then it is delivered to you personally at the salon wether you are under the dryer, being shampooed and etc. So, for instance if you are running late but you're hungry....no worries. You can eat there. They only play jazz, gospel, or music without cussing and offensive language. So, it's soothing and relaxing. Children are not allowed unless service is being rendered so it's not noisy. Don't get me wrong I love music...especially rap, but I can escape while I'm there.

It is beautifully and tastefully decorated so that adds to the aura. Hardwood floors. Walls done in different neutral tones so as to accentuate the art on that particular wall. So, I love it!

Last edited:

YoungWavey

ITA..thankful i found someone that treats my hair with love and is more gentle.

HoneyDew

Not me. :nono:

Most times I feel nervous and uncertain. :perplexed

But, if I found a stylist that I trusted, I am sure I would be able to enjoy it more.

northernbelle

Very eloquently stated.

Many Black stylists and Black salon owners simply have no business acumen, which includes ineffectual customer service skills, and many of us know that this this an honest and accurate assessment.

Last edited:

dede1174

this is the time i can go with out my husband my kids, family friends or any body else i don't want to talk to. No get me wrong i love them all with my heart but this is the time i can unplug.

going to salon is like getting a massage a total unplug expereince!!

Neroli

I used to, before I got hair educated on the boards, especially LHCF. Now, it is sooo stressful and full of anxiety and I have to brace myself to make sure they do what I want and use the products I want. It can be down right adversarial! Thank God I no need to go for over a year now that I self-relax.

Going to salon for any other service but hair makes me feel pampered.

SelfStyled

Going to the salon does not make me feel pampered :nono:.

I feel nervous, anxious, and on edge. I don't like how they handle my hair. I have to watch them like a hawk, keep my guard up and make sure they don't do something they're not supposed to do.

I would much rather do my own hair. My trade off is going to get my pedi's every 2 weeks, now that is pampering. I slide into that massage chair with a good magazine or book and I am in heaven for about 45 min

RubyWoo

Yup!! I love going to the salon and it does make me feel pampered. I haven't gone to the salon in awhile but I am going for my next relaxer touch-up and I can't wait. The salon I am going to is the one I used to go to regularly a few years ago and the stylists are friendly, very gentle, know how to relax hair properly, only trim what I want and even offer me a mirror to watch them trim. So I trust them and I know I won't come out with my hair messed up. I also loove getting my hair shampooed because I get a serious scalp massage and feels sooooo good..:lol:.

Last edited: