Does light or dark colored hair bring out the eyes

J

JenniferMD

I'm trying to figure out if I should go light or darker (black) with my first colorshines/cellophane rinse next week.

I initally thought black hair would bring out my eyes b/c whenever I put on black mascara you can see the light tint of brown in my eyes. But when I went to the salon last week, the stylist told me to get a copper color b/c it will bring out my eyes and black would only wash me out. So now I'm confused. I've never had a color before and I'm tempted to just get a clear colorshine. Anyone know which one brings out the color of your eyes?

mly3e

The comb is stuck.
Hey this is an excellent question. I was thinking of dying my hair jet black, but I also wanted to try chocolate with amber hilites.

abainaa

Re: Does light or dark colored hair bring out the

What exactly is colorshines? Can you do it with a relaxer? Does it bleach the hair at all or just coat it with color?

blue_flower

Dyeing my hair black always brings out my very dark eyes. I've seen people with light brown eyes with jet black hair and their eye color appears amber or some kind of reddish gold. It looks very beautiful, especially when they are wearing black eyeliner. If you're not sure what hair color to get, you could always try on a wig.

Leslie_C

Jennifer, I agree that a lighter color would compliment your eyes and skin tone more.

moneychaser

[ QUOTE ]
Leslie_C said:
Jennifer, I agree that a lighter color would compliment your eyes and skin tone more.

[/ QUOTE ]

blue_flower

[ QUOTE ]
blaxalrose said:
But, darker hair can make you look older, especially if its very dark around the face. I don't know if this is a consideration, but a lot of hollywood celebs are going lighter (i.e. Holly Hunter) and longer in order to keep a youthful experience. Foxnews.com had an article on this yesterday in the Fox411 column.

[/ QUOTE ]

I've heard of a lot of older women doing that because the lighter haircolor softens their wrinkles, but I don't think in general dark hair makes a person look older. I've dyed hair jet black before and it didn't make me look any older. People still thought I was a teenager.

Jennifer, I think highlights would be nice.

Lorraine

I think a darker color will bring your eyes out more. With your complexion dark hair would complement you more and make your eyes "pop" as the guy at the MAC counter says.

ms_kenesha

I agree, dark hair will make your eyes "pop" more than a lighter color. That's another reason why I'm dyeing my hair black.

ETA: Think about Stacy Dash, when her hair is black her eyes look greener, when her hair is brown they look more hazel, IMO.

Cowgirl

Jennifer, I agree with Leslie on this one. I think a jet black would be a little to harsh for you're lighter skin tone. Try to visit a wig shop and try on some wigs in varying colors and see which one you think looks best on you. Make sure the store has good lighting or a mirror near a window so you can gauge the true color.

Keep us posted on what you decide. I have been using the Bigen Oriental Black, and was thinking about going over it with a Clear Coulorshines. Now, I'm wondering if I should just go with the black coulorshines instead. Does anyone know if the black coulorshines gives the same deep black as the bigen? I don't want that "blueish" black.

SweetNic_JA

I recently rinsed my hair jet-black and I didn't notice any difference in my eyes. I only noticed a change when I lightened my brows. My brown eyes really stand out more, especially when I'm standing in light and my face appears a lot softer.

Lorraine

[ QUOTE ]
ms_kenesha said: That's another reason why I'm dyeing my hair black.

[/ QUOTE ]

Me too, Ms K!

Leslie_C

ITA w/ sweetnic, u would be amazed at how much it brings out your eyes when u lighten your eyebrows. they really do "pop"...

J

JenniferMD

Oh my gosh; seems like it's 50/50 here! I like the idea of going to a wig shop to check out the lighter colors in comparision to black. You all make really good points. I'm not too worried about looking older I just want my eyes to come out... like Kenesha said with her example of Stacy Dash her eyes look greener with black hair (but then again...my eyes aint hardly green
)

On the other hand not that I go by what celebrities are doing but blaxalrose you have a very good point--everyone is going lighter (and I think it has a lot to do with the season). I would consider highlights but I've never done any type of coloring to my hair and I like the idea of colorshines being peroxide-free & ammonia-free.

cowgirl...you may want to do a search on one of Supergirls recent post about "I want it out" she had a terrible time with one of the black colorshines. Tracy suggested another color that will give similar results to a black without going with that particular color (I think it was called black orchid).

I've never thought about lighting up my eyebrows...I'll have to inquire about that the next time I get my eye brows arched.