Does someone know....

BLESSED1

what the different types of Christianity are? I did a search but didn't find anything helpful. I think I may be classifying my religion wrong, I recently found out that there are different divisions w/in the "Christianity" religion (i.e. fundamentalist, biblian). TIA :yep:

To narrow it down slightly for you 95% of the ones listed as Orthodox are the same church just in different countries and area's of the world. They are all in communion with each other. In other words their doctrines of faith is the same and one can take communion if you belong to one in the other.
If you read the Ethiopian Orthodox Church web page it is a clear and consise on the beliefs of the Orthodox. It gives a full history of the Ethiopian Church also and how it is connected to all the other Orthodox universal family of churches of Our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ. The following websites list the orthodox churches. Even under some are smaller churches also Orthodox but possibly alone in a particular area so a larger church acts a s big brother so to speak. In america the many nationalities gave rise to orthodox churches from all over the world being repesented here in the U.S. Many hold services in their native language and english but all Orthodox can attend and recieve the Holy Sacraments. There is however an Orthodox Churh of America that holds liturgy in English.:

www.aggreen.net/autocephaly/autoceph.html

the oriental chuches

www.aggreen.net/autocephaly/oriental.html

Last edited:
Wowza :eek: I had no idea there were so many different divisions of Christianity! I'm going to read through all of these when I get a chance, thank you so much ladies for the links y'all always help a sista out :kiss:

I've been wanting to ask a question about this and the coptic/Ethiopian relgion. I even read somewehre that that is the true religion for blacks and Islam is not.

Honeyhips,

Historically christianity were in these land some 650 years before Islam was started. Now not all people in each country was Christian just as today not all Americans and so on. So for many north African and on south through central and the western part Christianity had been accepted by many. The wave of invasion by Islam later wiped out thousands of Christians who refused to convert. The Coptic Orthodox Church covers North Africa, Iraq, Iran, Egypt, and through out the middle east. Many old mosques were once ancient christian orthodox churches. The historical accounts of matthew tells us he went south into africa to preach the gospel and was martyered. Thomas died after establishing the church in india. That huge mosque one always see's in istanbul Turkey was originally St. Sophia's of the Orthodox Greek Church. So for many nations of africa it was the first christian faith and belief in the God of Moses accept for those who had been Jewish before. The Ethiopian Orthodox Church web site gives a good historical account for their beginings.

Here is the Coptic Orthodox Church

www.copticchurch.net

Last edited:
Back