Does stretching your relaxer touchup.....

fancypants007

cause your hair to shed more? I am having more shedding lately and October 21st will be only 8 weeks since my last touchup. The last time i waited 4 months and I had so much shedding. After my touchup the shedding stops. Just curious to get your thoughts on the matter.

sareca

Only when I don't take my time and detangle slowly and gently. If I'm in a hurry there's hair all over the place. :eek:

growingbrown

fancypants007 said:
cause your hair to shed more? I am having more shedding lately and October 21st will be only 8 weeks since my last touchup. The last time i waited 4 months and I had so much shedding. After my touchup the shedding stops. Just curious to get your thoughts on the matter.

Maybe that it why my hair is shedding like crazy. I am 11 weeks post and trying to make it till November. I think needing a touchup is part of the reason and the season that we are in, cold.

FAMUDva

sareca said:
Only when I don't take my time and detangle slowly and gently. If I'm in a hurry there's hair all over the place. :eek:

I agree! Detangling and moisterizing are key for me. I made the mistake during my failed transition and lost alot of my thickness then. I still have not recovered, but we'll see how things turn out in a year or so.

ETA: after the failed transition, I don't stretch more than 8-11 weeks. I just listen to my hair and scalp. I'm stretching mainly to not have a lot of overlap with my last relaxer, but I'm not trying to beat any records or anything. I have thick coarse hair and when I'm ready for another extensive stretch, I'll do a BC.

Last edited:

dlewis

I've had to learn what my stretch limit is, which is 8-10 weeks, no more. Sometimes there's no benefit to stetching if your gonna have severe breakage and shedding.

You you think it can be seasonal shedding?

fancypants007

dlewis said:
I've had to learn what my stretch limit is, which is 8-10 weeks, no more. Sometimes there's no benefit to stetching if your gonna have severe breakage and shedding.

Thanks for all the replys. I have decided to do another retouch at the 9-week mark. I will be getting braids at the end of december and I will at that time wait a little longer before my next touchup which I'm not planning to do until June 07. I fingercomb my hair and still get long strands of hair in my fingers so it's not that I'm not combing gently, it's just shedding. I hardly have any tangles in my hair, except for newgrowth, so I just wanted to know if this could be because my hair is saying I need a touchup. When I give myself the touchup the shedding stops. I have tried a new shampoo and I also put many things in my moisturising spray, i.e., conditioner, oils, gel, water and I'm wondering if this may be the reason for my shedding. So I put my oil moisturiser on my hair first and then spray with water/honey mix and it seems like it is working. It seems like the shedding intensified when I started using these products, but it also could be because of needing a touchup. Hopefully, I will get it under control.

LadyJay114

i like stretching because it allows the hair to grow and i like reducing the number of relaxers put on my hair.

today will be 11 weeks post and I'm ready to go! i'm touching up either Sunday or monday.

EishBuhgeish

I'm going thru this super heavy shedding phase too. I have really thin hair as it is, and I can see thats its getting thinner. I feel like chopping all the thin ends off and starting over...

fancypants007

EishBuhgeish said:
I'm going thru this super heavy shedding phase too. I have really thin hair as it is, and I can see thats its getting thinner. I feel like chopping all the thin ends off and starting over...

I did a search because I wanted to know when seasonal shedding begins and several websites said it ususally is in the fall/winter. I'm not so alarm about my hair shedding because they say soon you will get a burst of new growth especially if you are using stimulants to make your hair grow. They said on finer hair it will be more hair fall than if your hair is thick. They said usually you may have normal hair fall, but if your doing things to make your hair grow then it will in turn push out the old hair and it will be coming all over your head and not just one particular area. I started using rosemary shampoo, I put a drop of rosemary and lavendar oil in my final rinse and I'm been using cayenne pepper and EVOO overnight before I wash my hair. Hopefully, it will be a spurt of new growth or at least I'm hoping. Are you using stimulants to make your hair grow?

Plenty

LadyJay114 said:
i like stretching because it allows the hair to grow and i like reducing the number of relaxers put on my hair.

today will be 11 weeks post and I'm ready to go! i'm touching up either Sunday or monday.

1. Relaxers allow your hair to grow? :confused:
  2. Why do you like reducing the # of relaxers you put on hair? What result does this produce or avoid?

EishBuhgeish

fancypants007 said:
I did a search because I wanted to know when seasonal shedding begins and several websites said it ususally is in the fall/winter. I'm not so alarm about my hair shedding because they say soon you will get a burst of new growth especially if you are using stimulants to make your hair grow. They said on finer hair it will be more hair fall than if your hair is thick. They said usually you may have normal hair fall, but if your doing things to make your hair grow then it will in turn push out the old hair and it will be coming all over your head and not just one particular area. I started using rosemary shampoo, I put a drop of rosemary and lavendar oil in my final rinse and I'm been using cayenne pepper and EVOO overnight before I wash my hair. Hopefully, it will be a spurt of new growth or at least I'm hoping. Are you using stimulants to make your hair grow?

Even still while my hair has been shedding like crazy, I've just recently noticed that my super thin sides have been looking really fuzzy. Now, I'm not sure if its either breaking so much that all I have left are fuzzies, or that my sides are starting to thicken up. And since I am a stretcher, and my last relaxer came out totally underprocessed, I'm thinking I'm breaking and shedding alot more than I normally would around this time of year. I wanted to to a corrective relaxer to see if the shedding/breaking would stop, (you know how shedding and all that stop after your touchup..) but I'm afraid I its too soon. (2 weeks) But if I wait any longer, I'm afraid its all gonna break off :(

Sorry for the rant- I had to do that...

Oh yeah, as far as the growth aids go, I use MN mixed with rosemary EO on my scalp right after washing. Orally I take 2mgs MSM, 3mgs of Biotin and I drink Boost with High Protein daily. ::shrugs::

MzOptimistic

dlewis said:

I agree, the longest it seems like I can go is 10 weeks...this time I'm attempting to go 12 weeks...AGAIN...everytime I get to 10 weeks I get a touchup...it's not breaking or shedding...because I co wash my hair every other day...and I also use heavy moisturizers when I'm like 6 weeks post....I just can't or don't want to handle all the newgrowth...but this time, I am going to try my best to stretch to 12 weeks but hey if I get to 10 weeks and feel the need to touchup...I'm going to touchup.:)

erin558

Plenty said:
of course it does

I really don't see the point in stretching relaxers...

me either. i'd rather just relaxer every 6-8 weeks without a bunch of shedding than wait 4 months and have lost a lot of hair in the process.

i know for a fact that stretching is not for me but it could work for others