Does your stylist

diamondlady

talk to you as if he/she is talking to a bad child?

"Why do you wait so long between relaxers?" she asks, "don't you know that your hair will break between the new growth and the relaxed hair?

"You DO NOT have to air dry your hair!"

"What have you been using on your hair!"

"Stop washing your hair so much, you're washing away the natural oil!"

All this with the vocal tone of a mother talking to a child who is misbehaving. Sometimes with her hands on her hips.

My stylist does a good job on my hair, but she acts as if she is the KNOW-IT-ALL expert on hair and I'm stupid for not following her advice. Why can't she just shut up and do what I ask. After all, I'm paying her. This makes me her employer and she is my employee. I can understand advising me when she finds out something I'm doing that she doesn't think is wise, it's just the way she does it.

Don't think I haven't told her how I feel, and she stops but on the next appointment, she's back in full force.

Most stylists treat their clients as inferiors who know nothing about hair care. My new stylist started out like that with me, but only about 10 minutes worth. Obviously, she picked up from our conversation that I was very knowledgeable about hair care and products (the never ending PJ I am!) . I could tell that she respected that and then she began to talk to me as her "equal" and to ask if I'd tried certain products. By the end of the appointment, we were discussing the prospect of me going to beauty school!

i'd be looking for a new stylist...
nono.gif

A woman's relationship with her stylist is one of the most important she will have, similar in many ways to the relationship one has with a doctor.

Such relationships are built upon mutual trust and respect. I think that like doctors,who often believe they are God, stylists *tend* to believe they are gods and goddesses in their own right.

To be certain, we need to respect their knowledge and expertise. Having said this, they need to respect us as being informed, educated consumers.

It is always a relationship which is in a state of becoming.

northernbelle

Back