Doing a Protein Treatment before you wash

macherieamour

Hi guys!

After protein treatments my hair feels strong but the texture isnt the same as when I do my moisture treatments. Its a bit rougher or coarser. My hair doesnt hang the same.

To do a protein and then a moisture to soften it up afterwards is just too much for me on a work night considering I have anohter 2 hours under the dryer to look forward to.

I was wondering if anyone did a protein treatment and then shampooed and deep conditioned with a moisturizing conditioner? If so, did you see a difference?

caramelty

I know you were inquiring about something else but your hair is lovely. what type of relaxer do you use and how ofter do you relax?

macherieamour

THanks!

I use Affirm. I usually relax every 6 to 8 weeks. Im trying to stretch to at least 9 to 10 weeks. This is hard cause my hair needs a touch up after 4 weeks:lol:

ayoung

Good question. I wonder if it makes a diff. and/or works the same.

I tried this--but switched it up after seeing alot of ladies doing it differently. I didn't do it long enough to see if it made a diff. though.

I would use my reconstuctor kinda like a pre-poo. I put it on dry hair and let it seit for 20 min or so and then shampooed and DC.

dimpalz

This is an interesting question. I always wash, then treat, then condition and generally my hair does feel a little extra hard so then I add some cholesterol for a minute (it's cheap and quick and softens it up a treat but the strands do still fel quite thick) I think the shampooing step is before the treatment so that the hair shaft is clean and open for the protein to bond. I dont think shampooing after would have any adverse effects apart from maybe shortening the length of time that the protein treatments strength will last, but I think it generally will be less effective because the hair wasnt clean enough for it to bond.

I dont know if that helps or even makes sense, but hopefully it'll give u something to think about.

Neroli

I've been trying to find a link to a thread on this board from loooong ago, like 2003 with great suggestions for repairing damaged hair -- it was cippled and posted here from a white hair board, but had excellent tips, one of which included using a protein condish sorta like a pre 'poo, wash it out and followi with moisturizing condish. If anyone can locate the thread, it was rather long and entitled something like "Damage Hair Repair" something like that. I printed it out at the time and it's at home somewhere.

The idea was leaving a soft protein condish (keraphix, GPB, whatever your favorite) in the hair all day -- saturate hair that morning and say put in a bun, updo, braid or other protective style, go on to work, whatever you're doing with the protein condish in for the day (at least 6 hours), then do your regular wash routine -- 'poo out the protein condish and follow with moisture condish when you get home that evening. I haven't tried this yet, but there were other great suggestions that have become standard practice for me -- like applying low heat to protein condish for at least 20 minutes in order to help the proteins penetrate the hair and of course, following proteins with a moisturizing condish.

I wish I could find the link! Anyone else remember this?

berry87

I tired this yesturday with emergencee!! I followed the direction of the emergence bottle(for the first time):lachen: First i lightly shampooed with nexxus batonoil shampoo. I applied emergengee from roots to ends in sections, then sat under hood dryer for 10 mins. Rinsed applied therappe shampoo then deep conditon with humectress for 15 mins. My hair was so soft and silky yet strong after my rollerset! :)

onepraying

Healthy Hair Quest..
Neroli said:
I've been trying to find a link to a thread on this board from loooong ago, like 2003 with great suggestions for repairing damaged hair -- it was cippled and posted here from a white hair board, but had excellent tips, one of which included using a protein condish sorta like a pre 'poo, wash it out and followi with moisturizing condish. If anyone can locate the thread, it was rather long and entitled something like "Damage Hair Repair" something like that. I printed it out at the time and it's at home somewhere.

The idea was leaving a soft protein condish (keraphix, GPB, whatever your favorite) in the hair all day -- saturate hair that morning and say put in a bun, updo, braid or other protective style, go on to work, whatever you're doing with the protein condish in for the day (at least 6 hours), then do your regular wash routine -- 'poo out the protein condish and follow with moisture condish when you get home that evening. I haven't tried this yet, but there were other great suggestions that have become standard practice for me -- like applying low heat to protein condish for at least 20 minutes in order to help the proteins penetrate the hair and of course, following proteins with a moisturizing condish.

I believe Supergirl just recently reposted this regimen..I'll try to find that and bump.

meanwhile, this totally makes since macherieamour. I remember doing protein treats and then having to follow up with a softening hotoil treat just to put some semblance of softness to my hair.. I've done a deep cond then wash just last week with great results(except for the shedding, because I left the deep cond. on my hair for a week...:eek: I usally leave it on for a day or so..)

macherieamour

Neroli said:

Thanks SOOOO much guys!!!! I found the link:)

http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=35278&highlight=protein+conditioner

blackbarbie

Macheriearmour, I feel the exact same way and that was quite informative article, but what I was wondering (may have overlooked it) is I could do an intense Protein treatment like the Aphogee in the square bottle about 4 weeks before I get my perm? My hair is in good shape and I have been using protein weekly, but just wondering if I should call in the "BIG BOY" before my TU?

Neroli

blackbarbie said:
Macheriearmour, I feel the exact same way and that was quite informative article, but what I was wondering (may have overlooked it) is I could do an intense Protein treatment like the Aphogee in the square bottle about 4 weeks before I get my perm? My hair is in good shape and I have been using protein weekly, but just wondering if I should call in the "BIG BOY" before my TU?

Be very careful about applying too much protein -- it CAN cause breakage if over done . . .

~*~ShopAholic~*~

I've always shampooed w/a moisturizing poo, protein treatment (aphoghee), then shampoo again w/moisturing poo, then DC w/moisturizing conditoner. I love the results and my hair is stronger but not weighted down or coated feeling.

SohoHair

I actually did this yesterday and am very pleased with the results. I pre-pooed with Keraphix under a thermal cap for 30 minutes then shampooed as usual and then deep conditioned with Humecto for 40 min. After I rollerset with all my leave-ins and dried my hair I put in some NTM silk touch on my dry hair and sealed with jojoba oil. My hair is very strong, but still soft, no breakage at all and life is good:) .

Angelicus

I always do my protein treatments first. I use a mayonnaise mixture (from the fridge) and apply to dry hair and leave on for an hour. Then I shampoo and condition as normal.