Dominican Salon..I have 2 Questions.

Starronda

At the start of BSL! Patiently waiting for full❤️
I just wanted to briefly share with you ladies my experience at a Dominican Salon in Orange NJ. I need to know if this is standard procedure, and that’s going to decide if I’ll be back or self relaxing.

I went to the salon a few months ago to get a touch up done after a 16 week stretch. The hairdresser used a small tooth comb to comb through my entire head (including ng):perplexed. Is this their normal procedure when relaxing?

Also, a few days before I get a relaxer, I clarify and deep condition. I do this because I go months just co-washing and last time I was told that they couldn’t do my relaxer because my hair was too “oily”. I guess from me sealing my hair at night.

Any suggestions?

naturallygoldie

I just wanted to briefly share with you ladies my experience at a Dominican Salon in Orange NJ. I need to know if this is standard procedure, and that’s going to decide if I’ll be back or self relaxing.

I went to the salon a few months ago to get a touch up done after a 16 week stretch. The hairdresser used a small tooth comb to comb through my entire head (including ng):perplexed. Is this their normal procedure when relaxing?

Also, a few days before I get a relaxer, I clarify and deep condition. I do this because I go months just co-washing and last time I was told that they couldn’t do my relaxer because my hair was too “oily”. I guess from me sealing my hair at night.

Any suggestions?

Are you saying they combed the relaxer through from root to tip?

wish4length

I don't get chemical treatments done at a Dominican salon.....I just stick to blow outs. Standard or not, if its something you wouldn't do to your own hair, stay away from it.

locabouthair

Um, I dont think anyone should be coming the hair from root to tip with a fine tooth comb period.

Did she comb through your whole head BEFORE she applied the relaxer ow while the relaxer was in the hair?

If she combed the hair from root to tip while the relaxer was in the hair then that's a big no no:nono:

I have seen the dominican do that before at the salon I go to (I dont let them relax my hair). Coming the relaxer into the hair is VERY damaging.

As far as clarifying, it's a good thing to clarify before a relaxer it can help the relaxer take better.

Starronda

:perplexedShe actually combed through my hair before the relaxer, I guess to get the tingles out. I don't know of any other place to go and when I try to do my own relaxers it comes out underprocessed, so I need to find another place in Jersey that actually knows how to handle my hair, certainly when I stretch.

locabouthair

:perplexedShe actually combed through my hair before the relaxer, I guess to get the tingles out. I don't know of any other place to go and when I try to do my own relaxers it comes out underprocessed, so I need to find another place in Jersey that actually knows how to handle my hair, certainly when I stretch.

oh ok. I dont see them so that at the salon I go to. Maybe you can try combing it before you go so she wont feel like she needs to.

I do my relaxer at home but I do half my head one day and the other half 4 days later. It's tedious but it doesnt come out underprocesed anymore.

Leesh

Wow, I go to a Salon In Orange too. and yes they tend to use this method, I think they believe it helps to process better, although it does the opposite, Damage!

Ariana4000

Here in MD they will abuse you with a relaxer. I've seen it too many times. They are good for blow outs and trims. Period.

Solitude

The oil in your hair could keep the relaxer from "taking" properly. If you do this regularly, it could be why your relaxers are coming out under-processed. Although people on LHCF advocate putting oil on your previously relaxed hair, I prefer to keep my entire head as free of product as possible in the week before a relaxer.

I get my relaxers done at the Dominican salon with no problems. She uses a wide tooth comb to smooth my new growth after applying the product & they also use one for roller sets.

I have never seen anyone at the Doms salons I've gone to in the DMV area comb through anyone's entire head with a fine tooth comb. If it makes you uncomfortable, don't allow it.

Keshieshimmer

Do you have a Regis salon near by? See if they have anyone who does AA hair. Like someone else said, who cares if it is common practice, if you don't want that done to your hair then don't let them.

Starronda

Thanks ladies! Leesh, please tell me your not talking about Maxx's:perplexed...That would be too funny. I'm going to just have to keep reading through threads and self relax next time.

jerseyjill

I would not trust them for relaxers or trims. Like someboy said - blow outs only.
I went to Max's in Montclair, NJ last week for a blow out. She didnt do blow outs so I had to get a roller set. I will NEVER go back.
1. Her attitude was nasty - no good morning, she was abrupt and got mad because I couldnt hold my neck up while she rinsed out the conditioner, I was alreay washed and conditioned when I came.
2. When I gave her my jilbere comb - she made a comment in Spanish. I speak Spanish, it wasnt lost on me.
3. The dryer was too hot. I came out of it on my own so my hair wouldnt fry!
4. She wrapped it the wrong way. Didnt even bother to follow the part pattern or ask me which side.
5. Once again - ATTITUDE - just arrogant, aggressive and acting like she was doing me a favor. I'm originally from NYC so I did Dominican salons all through the 90's and I have to say that there customer service skills are horrible.

As for you - no she should not have used that fine tooth comb, especially with ng - that's adding stress on your demarcation line.

glamazon386

No it's not. You'd be surprised how many stylists know what they should be doing and do whatever they want anyway. If you didn't like her using that comb, you should have spoken up. A fine toothed comb should only be used after your hair has been detangled with a larger comb. I would use a fine toothed one when smoothing the hair onto the roller. She shouldn't have done anything that wasn't within reason without your approval. That is why I don't let just anyone touch my head. And my first visit certainly will not be a chemical service (which would be color for me since I don't relax anymore). I need to observe you while you're working on other clients to see if I like your practices and techniques.

Last edited:

Leesh

Thanks ladies! Leesh, please tell me your not talking about Maxx's:perplexed...That would be too funny. I'm going to just have to keep reading through threads and self relax next time.

Yes Mam, I am! I will be going next weekend this week I am Protective styling and major moisture. but yes Max's it is. Too funny!

I don't let them relax, I self-relax, just rollerset, I don't even allow them to wrap it, I do all that!