Ever gone to a dominican salon for relaxers? Get in here

blackberry815

share your Dominican salon relaxing experience with me... How long do they apply the relaxer and let it sit in your hair? How do they smooth? Any techniques you can share? Did they overlap?

Just trying to add some more value to my next self relaxing endeavor and I used to really like the way they relaxed my hair straight but its been so many years I don't fully remember the experience...... So do share!

Sent from my ADR6400L using ADR6400L

kim1006

I have had relaxers done at dominican salons. My experience was not much different than at any other salon.

Solitude

I got a relaxer at a Dominican salon on two different occasions. I was relaxing bone straight back then and they used Affirm.

My scalp was based well, no overlapping. Protein deep treatment after and they skipped the full blow-dry because my scalp was a little sensitive. In fact, it was so sensitive that I couldn't get a rinse. I don't think it was their fault, though. I have had a similar experience at traditional AA salons.

The only thing I don't like about getting a chemical treatment at a Dominican salon is that some of the stylists cannot communicate well in English and I need to be able to communicate fully with someone applying lye to my head.

The relaxer was applied quickly, though they did use a small tooth comb to apply and smooth. Not sure if the total time, but I don't recall any burning and I burn easily with lye relaxers.

Sent from my iPhone using LHCF

blackberry815

I got a relaxer at a Dominican salon on two different occasions. I was relaxing bone straight back then and they used Affirm.

My scalp was based well, no overlapping. Protein deep treatment after and they skipped the full blow-dry because my scalp was a little sensitive. In fact, it was so sensitive that I couldn't get a rinse. I don't think it was their fault, though. I have had a similar experience at traditional AA salons.

The only thing I don't like about getting a chemical treatment at a Dominican salon is that some of the stylists cannot communicate well in English and I need to be able to communicate fully with someone applying lye to my head.

The relaxer was applied quickly, though they did use a small tooth comb to apply and smooth. Not sure if the total time, but I don't recall any burning and I burn easily with lye relaxers.

Did they smooth and apply with the back of the comb or the actual teeth of the comb.

chelleypie810

Just got one last week n my stylist didn't overlap at all and she based really well. She used a comb to get through the new growth also. She was quite meticulous which I really liked.

beana

I have... and the communication issue bothered me. Imagine having someone give you a dumb excuse for why relaxer needs to stay in for 30 mins, now imagine that in Spanish.

If you speak fluent spanish you should be fine.

blackberry815

Thanks! So does she comb through ur new growth with the relaxer as soon as she puts the relaxer cream on ur hair or does she allow the relaxer to break the hair down first and then go in with the comb to smooth it out? How long do u process for?

blackberry815

I'm so with you on the communication thing. I hated that when I used to go. They had people working who didn't speak a lick of English. Hell English speaking hairdressers still didn't listen to me so I guess it doesn't matter.lol

Solitude

She used the back of the comb to apply and the teeth to smooth on both occasions. That can cause breakage, but I do that at home, so it didn't bother me.

blackberry815

She used the back of the comb to apply and the teeth to smooth on both occasions. That can cause breakage, but I do that at home, so it didn't bother me.

I'm gonna try this method for my next relaxer application.... Thanks!

beloved1bx

I went to Dominican salons for my relaxers for years. She parted my hair in four, and always started applying the relaxer from the back to the front. Then as soon as she got it all in she would go back to my nape and start smoothing. The only thing i didn't like is that often times she would use the teeth of the comb instead of the back of the comb which someone mentioned can cause breakage. And sometimes the comb would come in contact with my scalp, and i am VERY tenderheaded, so a lot of the time it would irritate/start to burn. But usually by this time I would indicate I needed it rinsed out. If she thought it hadn't been on long enough, she would start rinsing out the back fist to give the front another minute or so.

niqu92

i go to dominican salons for my relaxers but im about to become a self-relaxer

when i go to dominican salons they base my scalp very well and what i really like about them is the fact tht they only apply the relaxer to the new growth and they make sure not to get it on the previously relaxed hair. i find that most black salons usually overlap which leads to overprocessing.they apply the relaxer with either an applicator brush or a rat tail comb and they smoth with a rat tail comb. the only thing i dont like is the fact that they relax bone straight and i like having some texture left which is why im going to self-relax

Distorted Barbie

Yes, and it's the reason that I'm natural now. I regularly went to one Dominican salon when I moved to a new city. My hair did well. Then, a friend told me of a cheaper Dominican salon. She overlapped and overprocessed my hair. It broke badly. I cut it into a bob, and decided to transistion. Long story short, Dominican salons are just like any other ones. Some are good like the first one I had visited, and others have poor stylists (the one where I had the relaxer fiasco). The end result was fine because I LOVE MY NATURAL HAIR now, but it was definitely an unplanned surprise. I would suggest you go somewhere where you recognize good styling methods. Either ask a friend with weel kept hair about the place where they get relaxers, go get a blowout or rollerset and watch them give another client a relaxer before you decide to get one, or learn to give your own. I hope it workds out!

blackberry815

Yes, and it's the reason that I'm natural now. I regularly went to one Dominican salon when I moved to a new city. My hair did well. Then, a friend told me of a cheaper Dominican salon. She overlapped and overprocessed my hair. It broke badly. I cut it into a bob, and decided to transistion. Long story short, Dominican salons are just like any other ones. Some are good like the first one I had visited, and others have poor stylists (the one where I had the relaxer fiasco). The end result was fine because I LOVE MY NATURAL HAIR now, but it was definitely an unplanned surprise. I would suggest you go somewhere where you recognize good styling methods. Either ask a friend with weel kept hair about the place where they get relaxers, go get a blowout or rollerset and watch them give another client a relaxer before you decide to get one, or learn to give your own. I hope it workds out!

Really? Even though ur happy with the result I'm sorry that ever happened to you. How often were u getting relaxed?

blackberry815

Solitude how does this cause breakage? I would think it would cause breakage if the new growth were still tough but if the relaxer softens the growth and then you go in and smooth with the comb wouldn't that be fine?

Softerlove

Charro and Friends was the first Dominican salon I relax my hair, and my scalp burned every time, they would leave it on to take another customer...my hair stayed NL for 6-7 years while I went there...

Then I tried this AA salon in queens that was popular, after 2 relaxers where she based me "really well" I found bald areas in my hair, she claimed to be better than the Dominicans, never went back to her.

Now I got one perm from a new dominican (black) salon & over, watched them give perms with Affirm, and I will only ask them, to, wash my hair not perm. I feel like they overlap. My hair was fine, but its been 4 weeks, and she, wants to perm, again. Application: small comb back & comb through with, the, front. Hair permed in 3 big sections all at once. My hair, felt underprocessed in some parts.

I have to find some one in NY Asap.
Sent from my MyTouch 4G

blackberry815

Charro and Friends was the first Dominican salon I relax my hair, and my scalp burned every time, they would leave it on to take another customer...my hair stayed NL for 6-7 years while I went there...

Then I tried this AA salon in queens that was popular, after 2 relaxers where she based me "really well" I found bald areas in my hair, she claimed to be better than the Dominicans, never went back to her.

Now I got one perm from a new dominican (black) salon & over, watched them give perms with Affirm, and I will only ask them, to, wash my hair not perm. I feel like they overlap. My hair was fine, but its been 4 weeks, and she, wants to perm, again. Application: small comb back & comb through with, the, front. Hair permed in 3 big sections all at once. My hair, felt underprocessed in some parts.

I have to find some one in NY Asap.
Sent from my MyTouch 4G

Softerlove I wonder what AA salon in queens ur talking about because I had a similar experience with one in queens..they got all these rave reviews from a friend with long hair so I kept going..... Every time I got a relaxer I found a new bald spot or two.. after three relaxers I'm done.