Dominican Salons revisited.

StarScream35

I've recently added Dominican blowouts to my regimen to help me streeeeetch my relaxers or transition to natural.........can't quite make my mind up which to do but I'm sorta leaning towards natural. Anyway, I know there is much debate about the amount of heat used in Dominican salons but I got to thinking. It's no different than any other kind of heat we have used. Certainly heat has been part of black hair regimen for years. The straightening comb~~roasting on the stove in fire, waiting to burn our hair straight. Then there are black salons. Here is the order in which my hair was done when I went to black salons: Relaxer or Wash (depending on which you were having). Conditioner goes on and you go under the dryer. Conditioner washed out, you get molded and back under a dryer but this time the dryer is HOOOOOT. Okay so now you are dry and here comes the hand dryer to get you straight, then the flat iron to get you MORE STRAIGHT. So what is the difference? The amount of heat is still somewhat the same it seems.

When I go to Dominicans I have only my roots done and I tell them to skip the flat iron. My hair still looks great with lots of body and feels fab. Just wanted to see what other people think. Do you think the heat thing is all that serious? What I can say is I've seen more damaged haired African Americans than damaged haired Dominicans. But that's just my observation.

candy626

Not all of them are bad. They do use a lot of heat if you let them. But so do black salons I suppose.

My ends were probably the thinnest and most split back when I used to frequent a black salon where marcel irons were used.

naturalmanenyc

My stylist rarely used a flat iron on my natural hair when I was relaxed. Most of my styles were done with roller setting. She never used marcel irons on my hair either. I typically had curls, not super straight styles.

I get my roots blow out at the Dominican salons and some of them put the blow dryer on hell. I do think it's the amount of direct heat that causes damage.

I've recently added Dominican blowouts to my regimen to help me streeeeetch my relaxers or transition to natural.........can't quite make my mind up which to do but I'm sorta leaning towards natural. Anyway, I know there is much debate about the amount of heat used in Dominican salons but I got to thinking. It's no different than any other kind of heat we have used. Certainly heat has been part of black hair regimen for years. The straightening comb~~roasting on the stove in fire, waiting to burn our hair straight. Then there are black salons. Here is the order in which my hair was done when I went to black salons: Relaxer or Wash (depending on which you were having). Conditioner goes on and you go under the dryer. Conditioner washed out, you get molded and back under a dryer but this time the dryer is HOOOOOT. Okay so now you are dry and here comes the hand dryer to get you straight, then the flat iron to get you MORE STRAIGHT. So what is the difference? The amount of heat is still somewhat the same it seems.

When I go to Dominicans I have only my roots done and I tell them to skip the flat iron. My hair still looks great with lots of body and feels fab. Just wanted to see what other people think. Do you think the heat thing is all that serious? What I can say is I've seen more damaged haired African Americans than damaged haired Dominicans. But that's just my observation.

Evolving78

all of that heat is bad period. it's not a matter of trying to justify it. you just have to decide on what will work best for you. i prefer a roller set to deal with my new growth and i wear it in a curly state, so i don't worry about having straight roots.

danysedai

It really depends on the salon and the stylist. I think you are doing great by just having rollersets, your newgrowth blown out and skipping the flat iron. If it works for you then that's the way it is. The only thing I'd recommend is to assess your hair from time to time and if you see any ill effect then change your routine.
Are you going every weekend? every other weekend?
And what I say about stylists is that my former dominican stylist in Montreal was excellent, did blow outs but she had great technique and never used a flat iron afterwards. The one I have now doesn't have good technique so ends up directing that blowdryer right at my scalp instead of positioning it vertically, but I only do it when I relax,the rest of the time I do not blow out my hair.

StarScream35

I typically get blowouts once every 3 to 4 weeks. I've actually considered getting them once every other week but I'm not so sure if that's such a great idea. Lord knows I'm not at a stage where I wanna take chances with my hair. Do any of you know anyone that goes on a regular basis? On every second visit I get them to do a protein treatment which is $8.00 extra. Not bad cosidering how much relaxers cost these days. Before I stopped going to AA salons, I was paying almost $100.00 for relaxers. RIDICULOUS!

danysedai
You are so right about technique. I usually stick with the same stylist at my salon however one time I went, I had to see another stylist cause mine was out. This woman (although she was good) seemed to be blowing the blow dryer directly on my scalp which is something my stylist knows how to avoid.

glamazon386

My stylist rarely used a flat iron on my natural hair when I was relaxed. Most of my styles were done with roller setting. She never used marcel irons on my hair either. I typically had curls, not super straight styles.

I get my roots blow out at the Dominican salons and some of them put the blow dryer on hell. I do think it's the amount of direct heat that causes damage.

ITA. When I was relaxed and went to the salon on a regular basis direct heat was not used on my hair. It was wet set and dried under a hooded dryer. No blowdryer and no marcels.

I don't doubt that there are black salons/stylists that abuse heat though. Just like I'm sure there are Dominican salons that don't. I've had bad experiences with both. I never had a smoking blowdryer used on my head at a black salon though. You just have to find a good stylist.