"Don't be mad cause ya'll have BUCK-SHOTS and can't afford to buy or make the Potion!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: "Don't be mad cause ya'll have BUCK-SHOTS and can't afford to buy or make the Pot

Good stuff ms-gg

Lol @ this thread though. Some of you are just talking based off what you have read here and not going off actual information.

Re: "Don't be mad cause ya'll have BUCK-SHOTS and can't afford to buy or make the Pot

Castor oil, biotin, black tea, cayenne pepper, garlic and onion seed oil. What drug is in the potion? Biotin? I doubt topically it would cause harm. I think she has only said what her growth was in her eyes. I think she really believed she had that amount of growth.

The castor oil itself is about 4-15 dollars (depending on brand and size), Unless you buy the kind for constipation. Spices are at least 2-3 dollars. Biotin ranges from 5-20dollars depending on brand. Black tea ranges from 3-7dollars depending on brand and amount.So 14 dollars for 8 ounces is not that bad. I think the garlic and onion seed oils are somewhat expensive.

I am not saying I would buy it. But based on ingredients it sounds just as logical as MN, MTG, MT, castor oil, and eos. I have seen that as a growth mix. Or as logical as MN and several oils and eos, or sulfur, several oils and eos. Its just a matter of preference. People use castor oil for thickening and growth. This recipe has just a few more items for growth.

Make it yourself or don't. Buy it or don't. Don't like Valerie then don't watch her channel or updates. Let others decide for themselves.

People can do what they want and generally do...and then later complain about being ripped off or taken advantage of or that they did not know. By the same token, people can discuss it. I personally like these discussions.

Regarding pricing: part of my job (non-profit) is purchasing in bulk and searching for the best pricing, so I know how inexpensive items are when purchased in large quantities. Retail and wholesale are two different worlds. If she is looking for her 6000th customer and being as smart as she has shown to be then she is definitely buying wholesale.

*coming out of lurking* No shade, no tea, but hair products and all other personal care products aren't really regulated by the FDA like food and drugs are. You can check out the FDA's website if you don't believe me.

http://www.fda.gov/Cosmetics/GuidanceComplianceRegulatoryInformation/ucm074162.htm

That's why you have to be careful of whatever product you buy.

Thank you. I have said this more than a few times (since I work in the industry) that your cosmetics are NOT inspected by the FDA unless people are literally dropping dead from the product IN DROVES. There are regulations in place for the development, manufacturing and packaging of cosmetic products as listed by the CFRs from the FDA. But the likelihood of them inspecting a manufacturing plant where non-drug products are made is extremely rare and darn near next to nil.

So, be very discriminating when purchasing products from those who aren't following the basics:

- Disclosure of product ingredients on label (a plus to those that post MSDS on their websites)
- Who make "fantastical" claims without sufficient proof to support those claims as required by the FDA (and other regulatory bodies)
- Without verifiable business information including location, business license, etc.
- Unlabeled or unidentified products (i.e. a product with NO label)

Remember everyone is happy until someone has a serious adverse reaction or problem. So think carefully when completing a business transaction someone operating as a business without being an actual business. You may find yourself without recourse IF something happens.

So I watched a little of that video.
She said her hair shrinks cause she lives on the 5th floor of a tall building. :perplexed WTF.

Like someone said "A fool and his money will soon part"

This is when I turned the video off!

Castor oil, biotin, black tea, cayenne pepper, garlic and onion seed oil. What drug is in the potion? Biotin? I doubt topically it would cause harm. I think she has only said what her growth was in her eyes. I think she really believed she had that amount of growth.

Caffeine is in black tea. It has many dangerous side effects depending on the person and dosage. I'm pretty sure there are stories on here of women passing out from black tea rinses. Biotin also has recommended doses. If there was no effect topically, why would people use it? Of course these things can be absorbed through the skin. Cosmetics aren't regulated outright but the FDA does inspect and shut down unsanitary or otherwise dangerous facilities. Furthermore, the FDA does have laws on labeling cosmetics which applies to everyone...

(1) The commodity shall bear a label specifying the identity of the commodity and the name and place of business of the manufacturer, packer, or distributor;
(2) The net quantity of contents (in terms of weight or mass, measure, or numerical count) shall be separately and accurately stated in a uniform location upon the principal display panel of that label, using the most appropriate units of both the customary inch/pound system of measure, as provided in paragraph (3) of this subsection, and, except as provided in paragraph (3)(A)(ii) or paragraph (6) of this subsection, the SI metric system;
(3) The separate label statement of net quantity of contents appearing upon or affixed to any package -
(B) shall appear in conspicuous and easily legible type in distinct contrast (by topography, layout, color, embossing, or molding) with other matter on the package;
(C) shall contain letters or numerals in a type size which shall be
cont.

What is all boils down to is this quote from the FDA webpage: "Informed consumers are essential to the fair and efficient functioning of a free market economy."

Wow, I am learning some things today which I really appreciate. I think discussions like this are necessary. We can't keep our head in the sand. Some do not like to hear anything negative about something they have really signed on to. However, I want all sides of the story. I may not be using the product but someone I know and care about might. So the position of "if you don't like it, don't buy it, don't look at her channel is not wise to me. Besides, I remember as a newbie going on Youtube and forums initially thinking that if I see a lot of positive views it must be ok. Sometimes there are only positive reviews because the negative views are shut down or discouraged.

ok spreaking of that I was thinking about all this and then I seen kimmay hair for like 10 months and that was a lot of hair....

Kimmay is a bit different and I have to give Kudos to her since she has done extensive research and explained in pretty good detail the scientific aspect of hair, from how the cuticles react to certain methods and chemicals, to regulating the Ph balance of hair. Her "Leave In" was meant to promote healthier moisturized hair and regulate Ph of Hair.
Valerie popped out of nowhere, oblivous to the knowledge or hair ( she even said it in on of her videos) and amplified her black Jamaican Castor Oil as a "Potion". Not to say it doesn't work. The ingredients do promote some type of hair stimulation, but 3 inches in 7 weeks seems reeeaaally far-fetched.

Last edited:

The product is not regulated or made professionally; who knows what's really in it. She won't even release the ingredients of most of the stuff she sells. Different people have sensitivities to drugs, like caffeine. Who knows how much biotin is in, that could cause a reaction. Just because something is easily attainable, doesn't mean it's 100% safe.

Onion also causes strong allergic reactions in some people, as does castor oil. Don't have an opinion on this specific product, just throwing it out there that there can be good reasons for being picky about ingredient labeling.

Co-signing on finding these discussions helpful. I learn a lot from knowing what people's reasons are, whether they decide to buy, not buy, or make their own version of a certain product.

The castor oil itself is about 4-15 dollars (depending on brand and size), Unless you buy the kind for constipation. Spices are at least 2-3 dollars. Biotin ranges from 5-20dollars depending on brand. Black tea ranges from 3-7dollars depending on brand and amount.So 14 dollars for 8 ounces is not that bad. I think the garlic and onion seed oils are somewhat expensive.

I am not saying I would buy it. But based on ingredients it sounds just as logical as MN, MTG, MT, castor oil, and eos. I have seen that as a growth mix. Or as logical as MN and several oils and eos, or sulfur, several oils and eos. Its just a matter of preference. People use castor oil for thickening and growth. This recipe has just a few more items for growth.

Make it yourself or don't. Buy it or don't. Don't like Valerie then don't watch her channel or updates. Let others decide for themselves.

Dang you riding hard for a chick you don't know. Is Valerie your kin. You got a cut of the profits or sumthin??:look:

Dang you riding hard for a chick you don't know. Is Valerie your kin. You got a cut of the profits or sumthin??:look:

She someone's kin. Think how you would feel if someone talked about you or your family like this. :ohwell: Ya'll act like she stole your man or something.:look:

She someone's kin. Think how you would feel if someone talked about you or your family like this. :ohwell: Ya'll act like she stole your man or something.:look:

If one of my family members tricked people out of their money, I don't see how I could defend them.

Dont know Valerie. Just because I disagree you have to personally attack me? Maybe a competitor is paying you to come on here and throw shade at her business. So hey accusations can go both ways.

I know that these ingredients are discussed on this forum as growth aides or aides to decrease shedding. Why is everyone acting as if she created something she forced people to buy. She has shared the ingredients of the potion and has shown people how to make for themselves.

Ok now caffeine is so dangerous. People on this forum use tea rinses and coffee rinses. If you are sensitive to caffeine then dont use it. Where are all the dire warnings in the coffee and tea rinse support thread.

I guess this has gone to just bashing someone and just stretching the truth about how she deceived so many people and about the ingredients. Seems hypocritical to me.

Everyone doesnt want to mix up products and buy in bulk so that is why her potion is selling in the first place. She took the initiative to supply for money what people didnt feel like make making themselves. Is Kinky curly fairly priced on ingredients or Miss Jessies? The value is determined by the buyer and the market not LHCF members.

Welp only time will tell if all the growth she gets with the potion will lead her to a length that is admirable by hair board standards...We all know that growing it alone will not cut it. Because IDC how much you grow if you don't put in work on retaining, those 3 inches you got will go out the door. Hair growing out of your scalp, barring any infections or anything like that is the easy part....people get relaxers like clockwork (IRL) because in around 6 to 8 weeks they have "new growth". Those same ppl don't attain MBL or WL because they are not properly taking care of their hair. So I am not here to knock Valerie, I just personally wouldn't buy anything from her that she makes out of her kitchen because I don't know her like that and her credibility isn't the greatest IMO. But for those that do use potion, good luck to you on your HJ and make sure you put as much work in on the ends of your hair (for retention) as you do applying and massaging in potion.

Welp only time will tell if all the growth she gets with the potion will lead her to a length that is admirable by hair board standards...We all know that growing it alone will not cut it. Because IDC how much you grow if you don't put in work on retaining, those 3 inches you got will go out the door. Hair growing out of your scalp, barring any infections or anything like that is the easy part....people get relaxers like clockwork (IRL) because in around 6 to 8 weeks they have "new growth". Those same ppl don't attain MBL or WL because they are not properly taking care of their hair. So I am not here to knock Valerie, I just personally wouldn't buy anything from her that she makes out of her kitchen because I don't know her like that and her credibility isn't the greatest IMO. But for those that do use potion, good luck to you on your HJ and make sure you put as much work in on the ends of your hair (for retention) as you do applying and massaging in potion.

ITA..the fact that she references being on a "healthy hair journey" is odd to me because all we see is her trying to grow her hair. Nothing about her whole regimen and what other products she uses except for the ones she makes. Like you said, growth is only a part of it and trying to grow your hair long doesn't equate to a healthy hair journey.

Alright, a few points:

1) I can't decide whether some people are unaware of certain facts or are just engaging in willful ignorance. To be clear, Valerie provided the recipe for her growth mix (the ingredients and the proportions) from the outset. She later posted an instructional video on how to make the mix. Apart from the fact that no one is forced to buy anything from anyone, making the "potion" in your own kitchen (and not purchasing anything from Valerie) was always an option. An option that many women chose to exercise rather than sending Valerie a dime. It was also an option that she didn’t have to provide. She could have simply made her claims and asked for your money. I think it is unfair to suggest that this woman set out to steal people’s money when there was always the option to make the mix yourself for a fraction of the cost.

2) Valerie did not invent the concept of a topical growth aid. Last I checked there are numerous women on this message board MegaTeking, OCTing, MTGing, Boundtressing, Gro-Aut Oiling, Sulphur oil-mixing, MN-mixing, Hairfinity and Nioxin-taking etc etc. Valerie’s mix is simply another combination of ingredients that are believed to benefit hair growth (the benefits of black tea, cayenne, castor oil, onion, garlic and biotin have all been discussed on the message board before). Valerie’s mix has worked for some and not for others. Such is the case for all growth aids, not just Valerie’s.

3) As has been pointed out many times before, a lot of women (including myself) chose to make or buy Valerie’s mix not because of Valerie’s hair growth or her claims of 3 inches in 7 weeks, but because of the excellent results many other women got from using her mix (whether they purchased it from her or made it themselves). Some women have chosen to ignore or dismiss that fact. I’ve read responses such as there’s always a summer growth spurt and everyone gets an inch of growth a month (good for you girl - I don’t). If the results that other women got from the mix are not compelling for you, that’s fine. That was certainly the case for me when looked at the discussion threads for some other growth aids. However, instead of insulting the makers or users of those growth aids, I just kept it moving. Done.

4) Choosing to use a growth aid is not mutually exclusive with taking care of your hair. I respect and appreciate that many people do not believe in using a growth aid – again, that's fine. However, I am willing to try one (for my own reasons). I can only speak for myself but I don’t think I’m alone when I say that in addition to using a topical growth aid, I attempt to eat healthfully and exercise regularly (which benefits hair growth) and I have been consistently protective styling and deep conditioning my hair (benefiting hair retention). The choice to use a growth aid is a personal one. It’s a choice that many of the women on this board have made and it does not mean that these women are lazy, impatient, gullible or do not know how to take care of their hair (as I have read in this thread).

I do not know Valerie and I do not have anything invested in defending her. As a “buckshot” woman myself, I found her recent comments offensive (which is what I thought this thread was initially about). But, like Rain20, I think this “debate” has got out of hand.

Last edited:

ITA..the fact that she references being on a "healthy hair journey" is odd to me because all we see is her trying to grow her hair. Nothing about her whole regimen and what other products she uses except for the ones she makes. Like you said, growth is only a part of it and trying to grow your hair long doesn't equate to a healthy hair journey.

All of this, I agree with. All she talks about is the potion and fast growth. I don't know this woman just rubs me the wrong way. I think some people will benefit a little, others will become discouraged when the potion doesn't give them miraculous results...either way...she is making a lot of money off of that 3 inches in 7 weeks claim.

I also think another reason potion is so popular is that people are calling everythin potion...they take some JBCO and put other things in it (changing Valerie's recipe completely) yet they still call it potion. I dunno. She did a great job at gaining attention.

I saw a couple of those vids and I wasn't impressed. I saw a vid where she shingled some product in her hair and her coils were defined. She acted like shingling product to define coils was a new invention. Honestly, I felt like she needs more hair knowledge before she should be selling or advising folks. I'm surprised she has so many online followers and folks willing to buy her product especially when there is so much info on caring for AA hair online.

Oh and the buckshot comment was out of line. I didn't hear it but if she said it she was dead wrong. It's an insult to refer to someone's hair as buckshot just like calling someone nappyheaded or brillo pad. As a business woman and as a grown woman she should know how to carry herself and talk to folks. If she can't stand the heat she needs to get out of the kitchen.

Oh and the buckshot comment was out of line. I didn't hear it but if she said it she was dead wrong. It's an insult to refer to someone's hair as buckshot just like calling someone nappyheaded or brillo pad. As a business woman and as a grown woman she should know how to carry herself and talk to folks. If she can't stand the heat she needs to get out of the kitchen.

I read the comment and I am pissed that I didn't take a screen shot when it was up... :lol::lol::lol::lol:

I read the comment and I am pissed that I didn't take a screen shot when it was up... :lol::lol::lol::lol:

I wish you had too cuz I would like to see what was said that lead up to that comment. It sounds like homegirl completely lost it.

I've seen Valerie's youtube videos, her site, her claims and apologies as well as snoop on this thread and the other thread where others have made it at home or their own variations and this is what I concluded: i no longer care about her or what she does :nono: For the ladies who bought her "potion" or made their own or something similar; happy hair growing.

For the ladies who don't know the healthy hair practices that we do and are just using Val's "potion" to get 3" in 7 weeks... well... hopefully they come to learn that it takes more than just putting oil on your hair and scalp to retain length AND have healthy hair. Don't get me wrong, for some people that might work, but for the majority of us, we have found that experimenting and finding what works for our OWN hair (whether it be other topical and/or internal growth aids, PSing, bagging, etc, or a combination of things) is whats best. What works for one person may not work for another.

What she said was offensive and unprofessional and I always thought some things didn't add up anyways. And if people feel the same way that others and myself do, then don't watch her videos; don't give her the time of day and KIM.

Do what works for your hair. HHG everyone :yep:

I've seen Valerie's youtube videos, her site, her claims and apologies as well as snoop on this thread and the other thread where others have made it at home or their own variations and this is what I concluded: i no longer care about her or what she does :nono: For the ladies who bought her "potion" or made their own or something similar; happy hair growing.

For the ladies who don't know the healthy hair practices that we do and are just using Val's "potion" to get 3" in 7 weeks... well... hopefully they come to learn that it takes more than just putting oil on your hair and scalp to retain length AND have healthy hair. Don't get me wrong, for some people that might work, but for the majority of us, we have found that experimenting and finding what works for our OWN hair (whether it be other topical and/or internal growth aids, PSing, bagging, etc, or a combination of things) is whats best. What works for one person may not work for another.

What she said was offensive and unprofessional and I always thought some things didn't add up anyways. And if people feel the same way that others and myself do, then don't watch her videos; don't give her the time of day and KIM.

Do what works for your hair. HHG everyone :yep:

I agree but I WILL watch that update video! LOL I just wanna see if she will ever properly track her growth or keep acting like picking her "fro" is a good way to track growth.

belldandy yeah I don't blame you. So I suppose for entertainment purposes, knock yourself out. But don't let her and her business/hair practices cause your blood pressure to rise. It ain't worth it.

@belldandy yeah I don't blame you. So I suppose for entertainment purposes, knock yourself out. But don't let her and her business/hair practices cause your blood pressure to rise. It ain't worth it.

My blood pressure is not rising. Nothing people do surprises me anymore. :grin::grin::grin:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back