Don't wash your hair during THAT time of the month?

I think the whole spaghetti/period thing came from the belief that if a woman put her blood into something the man would ingest, it would bind that man to her.

I've heard this one

I was told by a neighbor that I shouldn't paint my nails, wash my hair or remove a molar (I was on my way to the dentist) while on my period. I was a teen when she said it and thought she was crazy. I did all 3 that day to see if I would explode or something LOL

My dentist is holistic and uses very little pain medication if any and will not do root canals or extractions if your on your period. He says women have a lower tolerance for pain during that time and our bodies have enough to deal with, there is no reason to overstress your system if you can wait 5 days. The other stuff I have never heard of before.

I've heard this. I once went on a field trip in high school with a girl that didn't believe in taking a bath while on her period. Let's just say that bus ride was unpleasant for everyone.

Christy, where did you get that story from? I've heard that one before.

My grandmother was told not to take a sit down bath because she was more "open" during that time. That also went for her scalp. But then again they didn't have showers in her day. So they took "spot baths," as mentioned before as a "spit bath."

yup my mother was told the SAME THING, that open business, cause supposedly you'd catch a cold! :lachen:

jeez, when i was growing up, and my sisters had their periods, it was Muskogee indian tradition that they weren't allowed to touch the food in the house.

It supposedly poisoned the food. They never cooked anyway. I did all of the cooking for them. Lucky for them i was the last daughter, i and left home at 15. I didn't start my period until about 17 years of age. They would have starved to death.

Also, there are tribes that still exist that have "period" huts. so for 5-7 days out of the month, the women who are mensing have to sit in a hut with each other (gawd help 'em). That sounds like a "cage drama" waiting to happen. Either that, or a mass murder. I can't be around a bunch of folks when it's that time of month. Thanks to my livelihood, they get on my damn nerves any other time of the month, having a period just makes it worse.

:(

Toooooo true. I remember one time I went to Jackson, California for a field trip. We were learning about a Native American tribe, I forget which. We were about to enter a hut, but before we entered, the tour guide said "If there are any women on their moon, for tradition's sake, you cannot enter." I was like "Huh?" This girl and my Biology teacher had to sit outside while the rest of us entered the hut and learned about the hut :ohwell:

I feel yucky while bathing but I do it anyway. I'd rather inconvenience myself than others >.>

I remember my mom telling me when I was a teenager you weren't supposed to take a bath during your period. I remember looking at her like she was crazy.

Toooooo true. I remember one time I went to Jackson, California for a field trip. We were learning about a Native American tribe, I forget which. We were about to enter a hut, but before we entered, the tour guide said "If there are any women on their moon, for tradition's sake, you cannot enter." I was like "Huh?" This girl and my Biology teacher had to sit outside while the rest of us entered the hut and learned about the hut :ohwell:

I feel yucky while bathing but I do it anyway. I'd rather inconvenience myself than others >.>

If they had lied and went on the tour anyway, I wonder what would have happened/how would the guides have known otherwise?

My mom says ur pores open it make u bleed heavier my nose get stopped up and i feel sicker than ever taking about washing my head :wallbash:my cramps gets worser nor do i have energy to reach up deal with my head laying down is all i wanna do the headache dont play.

This is bothering me now, What a timely thread, I'm on my menses and I need to wash my hair but I'm not grrrrr.....I don't know I just don't like to wash my hair on my menses.
I like to wash it when it's finished.

My mom used to tell me you shouldn't take a shower/bath while on your period. I NEVER listened though- a nice, hot shower is the only relief from a nasty period.

Being in the water will make your flow temporarily stop. I think that you have to be all the way in water so that would happen during a bath but not necessarily during a shower. Maybe old timers thought that was a bad thing.

My mom used to tell me you shouldn't take a shower/bath while on your period. I NEVER listened though- a nice, hot shower is the only relief from a nasty period.

It's not nasty, it's natural! But I know how you feel...a nice hot shower is just what the Dr ordered.

This is how I am, as well. I absolutely have to shower, especially, during that time of the month. Hot showers helps me feel clean, relaxed and relieves some of the cramping and stress that comes with having a period. I've experienced other ladies who've been surprised to learn that I shower during my periods, for they thought they could'nt or shouldn't. Some of them followed suit after realizing it's okay to do so. You'd be surprised at how many don't think they should during that time of month. I personally, think it is important to do so for sure around that time.:yep:

lol My mom was one of these people along with:

Don't wash your hair on your period.

Don't open the fridge after you have been under the dryer...your face will be deformed going from hot to cold.

too many to type here:lachen:

^^ My dad calls that a Pirate's bath.

I just took my first shower of my period today after avoiding the shower like the plague for 1.5 days, sorry if that's TMI but it felt great. showering gets rid of that icky feeling for a bit.

My period is not a priority to my hair at this point, however strange that may sound. If my hair needs to be washed, then I am so not worried about menstruation.

This thread was pretty funny. :lachen:

Never heard of this. I have terrible cramps regardless. So I may not wash my hair during that time but only because I can't stand long enough to get through the hair washing process. But if I really have to wash my hair, period or no period, it will get done.

The info in this thread makes a lot of sense. My mom also told me the same thing: don't wash your hair when you are on your period because you can get sick that way. Something about your body being 'open', and the cold air mixing with the damp hair etc....

I am over here weak!! This is the last friggin thing I ever thought I would see on this forum and the last thing I ever thought I'd get an answer to becuase my mom, God bless the woman, used to get on me about it all the time. Even now if she knows I'm washing my hair and I'm on my period, she gets all mad about it. SAying I'm going to get sick. My pores are open and my body isn't as strong as it should be. I'm like mom, my body has already made up for the blood that's being loss-- so I'm not going to die! She still refuses to believe me. Yes, she has told me this for years...

I, too, go into wild cleaning mode just before my period. I cannot stand dirt or a messy house and I'm usually too sick while on my period to clean. I feel like that cleaning rampage women go into before the baby is born. it's like nature kicks in and tells you to clean the nest because something big is bout to happen. This always happens to me right before my period--I can't stop myself either...

I'm so glad somebody brought this up because I've been wonderin for years! Also, when I used to get relaxers awhile ago, one time it didn't take at all. My stylist asked if I was on my period, and I was. She said that's why, your hormones make the relaxer not take. Anwyays, I believe there could be some truth to that because of pheromones. They are quite strong--strong enough to make other women come on their periods... Sooo.. hmm...

I'm so glad somebody brought this up because I've been wonderin for years! Also, when I used to get relaxers awhile ago, one time it didn't take at all. My stylist asked if I was on my period, and I was. She said that's why, your hormones make the relaxer not take. Anwyays, I believe there could be some truth to that because of pheromones. They are quite strong--strong enough to make other women come on their periods... Sooo.. hmm...

Which makes NO GOSH DARNED SENSE because hellooooo once the hair grows OUT from your scalp it's not just going to miraculously change into something else. Hair is dead!!! lol it doesn't shift and change forms.

gotta love it!

OMG! I thought I was the only person on earth who did this :blush:. And I feel the same about your reasoning why. Just this past week, I cleaned my parent's entire house and when I came back to school, I felt this compulsion to clean and organize everything in sight :lol:. I also sometimes tend to bathe more frequently (around 2-3x a day). I always know it's about that time of the month when I feel the need to do this.

But back to the OT:
My mother's reasoning behind this was that your body temperature is lower, and being cold makes you more susceptible to cramping. This kinda makes sense, seeing that your basal temp is higher during ovulation and lowers at the onset of your cycle . But I've never had any adverse effects from it. I was also taught not to take tub baths
I am over here weak!! This is the last friggin thing I ever thought I would see on this forum and the last thing I ever thought I'd get an answer to becuase my mom, God bless the woman, used to get on me about it all the time. Even now if she knows I'm washing my hair and I'm on my period, she gets all mad about it. SAying I'm going to get sick. My pores are open and my body isn't as strong as it should be. I'm like mom, my body has already made up for the blood that's being loss-- so I'm not going to die! She still refuses to believe me. Yes, she has told me this for years...

I, too, go into wild cleaning mode just before my period. I cannot stand dirt or a messy house and I'm usually too sick while on my period to clean. I feel like that cleaning rampage women go into before the baby is born. it's like nature kicks in and tells you to clean the nest because something big is bout to happen. This always happens to me right before my period--I can't stop myself either...

I have heeard this before though I always disregarded it. Bu the relaxer on the period thing . When I did get a relaxer was a big no no with me. I found that my scalp was more sensitive the chemicals and would burn easier.

But then again it also happened when I was pregnant.

Back