Drugstore brands stepping up their game! (LONGISH)

KeyahGirl

Hi, ladies. Mainly a lurker, because I don't have much knowledge to contribute. I just soak it all in from you all. :D

I don't spend a lot of money on beauty products, but hair is something of an exception. I used to go to Amoy's Beauty in New York and send $$$$ getting permed and curled. Then I got into grad school and started economizing. The last time I went to her was back in March. She told me, though, that to keep my hair up, I needed to use the Phytospecific line, especially their leave-in, because it was what all her clients used - not, as she said, that "Duane Reade crap." :lol: That was fine with me, because for the most part, drugstore shampoo and conditioners were hot garbage on my hair. Pantene dried it out, I was never a big fan of the Loreal version of Kerastase, etc. So for months, I turned my pockets inside out to get my hands on Phyto, which to be fair, was lovely for my hair.

But! I've started noticing all these new lines in the drugstore. Dove has some new stuff out and Pantene has its new lines with fewer cones and such. And now I think I am in LOVE with Herbal Essences Hello Hydration. I used that to C.O. and added a dollop of None of Your Frizzness. I wasn't expecting that much, but O-M-G. I look like I just blowdried my hair, and I'm 5 weeks post-relaxer! Seriously, not even Phyto made my hair feel this good this late in the game after a relaxer.

My roommate, who is Indian, said that she has noticed that since brands such as Nexxus and (bootleg) Redken and Paul Mitchell have started showing up in drugstores, the mainstay brands like Pantene and Garnier have had to bring more to the table in order to compete. Do you believe that this is a part of what's going on? Herbal Essences used to be hot mess on my hair, but Hello Hydration is like a breath of fresh air! And I sealed my ends with some of my roommate's Garnier Fructis long and strong leave in, and my hair looks fantastic. Maybe I won't be having to eat Ramen and stale bagels to support my "hair habit" after all! :lol:

Your roommate might be on to something. It does make sense for the drugstore brands to raise their level if salon brand products are now appearing next to them. Hell, I've noticed they're selling Nexxus products at Walmart now. :lol:

KeyahGirl said:
Hi, ladies. Mainly a lurker, because I don't have much knowledge to contribute. I just soak it all in from you all. :D

I don't spend a lot of money on beauty products, but hair is something of an exception. I used to go to Amoy's Beauty in New York and send $$$$ getting permed and curled. Then I got into grad school and started economizing. The last time I went to her was back in March. She told me, though, that to keep my hair up, I needed to use the Phytospecific line, especially their leave-in, because it was what all her clients used - not, as she said, that "Duane Reade crap." :lol: That was fine with me, because for the most part, drugstore shampoo and conditioners were hot garbage on my hair. Pantene dried it out, I was never a big fan of the Loreal version of Kerastase, etc. So for months, I turned my pockets inside out to get my hands on Phyto, which to be fair, was lovely for my hair.

But! I've started noticing all these new lines in the drugstore. Dove has some new stuff out and Pantene has its new lines with fewer cones and such. And now I think I am in LOVE with Herbal Essences Hello Hydration. I used that to C.O. and added a dollop of None of Your Frizzness. I wasn't expecting that much, but O-M-G. I look like I just blowdried my hair, and I'm 5 weeks post-relaxer! Seriously, not even Phyto made my hair feel this good this late in the game after a relaxer.

My roommate, who is Indian, said that she has noticed that since brands such as Nexxus and (bootleg) Redken and Paul Mitchell have started showing up in drugstores, the mainstay brands like Pantene and Garnier have had to bring more to the table in order to compete. Do you believe that this is a part of what's going on? Herbal Essences used to be hot mess on my hair, but Hello Hydration is like a breath of fresh air! And I sealed my ends with some of my roommate's Garnier Fructis long and strong leave in, and my hair looks fantastic. Maybe I won't be having to eat Ramen and stale bagels to support my "hair habit" after all! :lol:

Is that a Herbal Essence product? What is your hair type? It just might work on my hair too.

Your assessment sounds about right to me. I started my hair journey while I was already a student so I never got a chance to really splurge on my hair. The new improved hair products in supermarkets and drugstores are like a heaven sent.

KeyahGirl said:
My roommate, who is Indian, said that she has noticed that since brands such as Nexxus and (bootleg) Redken and Paul Mitchell have started showing up in drugstores, the mainstay brands like Pantene and Garnier have had to bring more to the table in order to compete. Do you believe that this is a part of what's going on?
I just tried my samples of Sunsilk pink and...wow, the shampoo amazed me and the conditioner is damn near close to having the slip of DDTA (R.I.P.). The leave-in felt great too and my hair is still soft after drying. Too bad Unilever screwed up Suave.

I think some of these companies are checking out the hairboards. The HH has coconut milk in it...where on earth did they get that idea from, hmm?

you are so right!

Some times when I can't sleep I throw on some sweats and go to this 24 CVS across town and just look at make-up and hair products. I was there last night sitting on the floor reading labels and there is a big difference in the quality of drugstore products in general compared to two to three years ago. The garnier lines look fantastic and I am in love with sunsilk and herbal essences. I just purchases Charles Worthington moisture leave in and used it the other night and my boyfriend was speechless:eek:. I had tons of body but it made my hair smooth and silky as well. I haven't yet posted a full review yet for everyone to read but it was better than any high priced leave in I have ever bought. Alot of hairstylist are also putting lines in drugstore too such as samy, marc antony, charles worthington and so on which I believe is giving pantene and etc.. competition too. I also think that when pantene but out the relaxed/natural line, other lines got to see that black consumers spend lots of money on haircare and that overall consumers are becoming more and more savvy so now they make better products because they see that but appealing to more than one "ethnic" market, they can really increase profits.

gymfreak336 said:
you are so right!

Some times when I can't sleep I throw on some sweats and go to this 24 CVS across town and just look at make-up and hair products. I was there last night sitting on the floor reading labels and there is a big difference in the quality of drugstore products in general compared to two to three years ago. The garnier lines look fantastic and I am in love with sunsilk and herbal essences. I just purchases Charles Worthington moisture leave in and used it the other night and my boyfriend was speechless:eek:. I had tons of body but it made my hair smooth and silky as well. I haven't yet posted a full review yet for everyone to read but it was better than any high priced leave in I have ever bought. Alot of hairstylist are also putting lines in drugstore too such as samy, marc antony, charles worthington and so on which I believe is giving pantene and etc.. competition too. I also think that when pantene but out the relaxed/natural line, other lines got to see that black consumers spend lots of money on haircare and that overall consumers are becoming more and more savvy so now they make better products because they see that but appealing to more than one "ethnic" market, they can really increase profits.
And breathe...:lachen: Sorry, that is the way it read to me.

Like black women, white women are rediscovering their roots as far as hair care is concerned (i.e. oiling their length, using a brush to distribute their natural oils). Someone is paying attention to what is going on at the hair and beauty boards to know what the curlyheads are wanting. P&G (Pantene, Herbal Essences, Aussie) is ahead of the pack, but Unilever (Suave, Dove, Sunsilk) and Alberto-Culver (VO5, Tresemme, Motions) are not far behind.

Nymphe said:
And breathe...:lachen: Sorry, that is the way it read to me.

Like black women, white women are rediscovering their roots as far as hair care is concerned (i.e. oiling their length, using a brush to distribute their natural oils). Someone is paying attention to what is going on at the hair and beauty boards to know what the curlyheads are wanting. P&G (Pantene, Herbal Essences, Aussie) is ahead of the pack, but Unilever (Suave, Dove, Sunsilk) and Alberto-Culver (VO5, Tresemme, Motions) are not far behind.

its funny you said that, when I talk to my mom she is always saying the same thing; breathe Dionne before you pass out

gymfreak336 said:
you are so right!

Me, too!!:lol: I do this all of the time, except I go to Walgreens. I have an infactuation of looking at makeup and reading ingredients of hair products on the shelves!!!:lol:

KeyahGirl said:
Hi, ladies.

This statement had me rolling.

I just used the Hello Hydration conditioner yesterday and it worked great. I think I will repurchase this in the larger size. I mixed it with Motions CPR conditioner and it worked well that way too.

Whew! I'm glad I'm not the only one noticing this. (Obviously not, because my CVS was OUT of the None of Your Frizzness leave in :mad:) For the person who asked my hair type, I'm 4 a/b, one inch from bra-strap length.

My hair is my one vain spot, so I try to keep it up. Two years ago, I wouldn't have gone near drug store brands, even though I heard that Samy (sold in CVS) was one of THE best haircare brands on the market. Now, I'm noticing that there's a lot less gobbedlygook in the ingredients lists in some drugstore brands. Some of it so still read like "Weird Science," but at least I'm seeing less Hydroribosenoxilyn No. 9 (with Red Dye 12) and more "Coco Oil" and "Aloe Extracts."

Back