Only drugstore products?

inthepink

Is there anyone here who's regimen consists entirely of products that can be bought at their local drugstore or sally's? (Not including the drugstores that carry salon brands.) Is it possible to only use drugstore brands and get the same results as salon products?

Right now, my regimen consists of both. I would love it to only need drugstore/sally's products in order to have my hair look its best. In fact, it's a goal of mine. I don't want to spend the rest of my life spending all of this money on haircare salon brands and non-salon brands that I can only order through the internet. (i.e. Carol's Daughter) Unfortunately, I don't see this changing anytime soon.

Why are drugstore products just not good enough??? Just looking for comments and opinions.

Karonica

Everything I use can be purchased at the drugstore or beauty supply store. I don't feel the need to buy salon brands.

Ayeshia

Drug store Junkie signing in...The only thing that I do have that are not found at the drug store is Aubrey Organic's GPB, Biolage, and Rekin Butter Treat...but I didnt buy any of these from the store anyway...i got them by swaping with LHCF memebers. I havent used them yet.

However after these are gone I plan to stick to only drugstore/bss brands. My hair feels great plus I dont have alot of money to begin with. Im happy that I dont have a credit card because I would have been in debt after reading all these product reviews.

My hair is thriving from my $2.99 conditioners

deeplyrooted

Shoot, the way drugstores are working . . . A LOT of my salon brands are available (don't know if they're 100% authentic); Aveda, TIGI, etc.

When it comes to my butters, it's online ordering all the way.
Seems like my hair responds better without the preservatives when it comes to my moisturizers/styling aids. Plus, my skin is sensitive, so even little things like the methlyparaben, etc., make me react (itchy skin, what I've noticed to be hives which turn into scabs after me itching them on my scalp, etc.).

mermaid

Everything at the local stores. I don't use credit cards (if I don't have the available cash- I can't have it) so the online stores are out, and I can't justify spending the price for salon products.

bettydavis

I am trying to use only drugstore/local products now....I think the only thing I will be ordering is AO GPB from now on. With the shipping and everything, it's just too much and I feel like I can get the same results. Plus my drugstore just started carrying a few more lines (NTM, Tigi).

cutebajangirl

I don't think that drugstore products aren't necessarily good enough. I think it depends on the person. Overall I use more salon products. Honestly it started because salons have guarentees so I can try as much as I like without fear of wasting money. Along the way I have tried many that work, so I keep on using them. Whenever I try to replace those products with drugstore products in an effort to save money I end up wasting it because I'll only like 1 out of every 6 products-seriously. These are products I can't take back. I think I have a better luck with salon products because the higher end lines use better quality results. I interned at Unilever and I know for a fact that the salon brands use compounds of greater purity levels that drugstore brands. I think that I have finniky hair and I can feel/see that difference in purity. If not immediately, then over time. I have found several high quality drugstore shampoos though.

aprilbiz

Drugstore/BBS junkie here... always looking for a cheap alternative. Some salon products work well for me (Nexxus Humectress), others do not (Keracare Humecto). It's 50/50 just like at the drugstore/BBS.

Tracy

Well technically - no. But I'm about to be broke and I've already narrowed down my "drugstore" brands - except I will have to go to a health food store/GNC type place for my shampoo....

Here's the plan:

Nature's Gate Panthenol and Keratin Shampoo
VO5 Daily Conditioner
Suave Milk and Honey (as a leave in and a conditioner wash)

The ONE thing I MUST get from a BSS (in fact I realized I'm going to have to break the PJ challenge and get some before I leave NY
) is Salerm. But the NTM leave in can suffice in a pinch.

Tracy

Addendum:

Leave Ins: Elasta QP can also suffice if I'm airdrying and not rollersetting. If I'm rollersetting I like the Pantene Setting Lotion.

The NTM serum is my current fav and I almost always use the John Frieda Secret Weapon product on my dry hair when it's down and I want to add some moisture to the ends.

I LOVE Pantene R&N Conditioners as well.

Come to think of it - there are a LOT of drugstore brands I use and love. I think these days there are a lot of good drugstore options.

UmSumayyah

I'm not sure you could use ONLY drugstore products (and no Sally's type products) if you had relaxed hair, for the simple fact that I have never seen a high quality, heavy-duty protein (that wasn't a salon brand) sold in a drugstore. If you're natural I think you can.
But since you are including Sally's, yes, I think it can be done. Esp. with the NTM line now available (best drugstore shampoo I have ever used)

Cat_Eyed_Cutie

With the exception of Egoe Boost (which is from the drugstore) all of my products are from either Shoppers Drugmart, the bss or walmart. I'm not into spending a grip of money on salon product anymore. I remember the days (pre mommy days when I had a whole lot more money to throw away) when I only used salon products and to tell you the truth, my hair is doing better now than ever. So I'm all for buying an entire line for 10.00-15.00 lol.

Poohbear

Fearfully Wonderfully Made
I have always purchased products from a beauty supply store, Sally's, or retail store like Walgreens or Kroger. I don't want to get into ordering hair products online because of the high costs of shipping. Since I am now transitioning, I want to start using the whole Pantene Pro-V for Colored Women line which I can buy from a retail store or Aubrey Organics products which I can buy at this Whole Foods Market that was just built in my city...that's after I use up all the products I have right now.

Also, I'm not sure what the difference is between salon products and non-salon products, probably because I never go to a salon. The only salon product I know of is Dudleys. What are some more salon products?

syoulee1

I only use drug store/Sally's/BSS products and my hair is thriving.. so I can't justify spending more $$ on salon products.

Right now I am also using only drugstore products, and I am VERY pleased.

I used to stick primarily with the Nexxus line of products, but I am slowly picking up on alternatives that are less expensive but equally effective. My hair and wallet are happy!

chocolate01

I only use drugstore products as well. I dont have the money nor can I justify buying salon products. My hair is doing ggreat with the products that I use so I have no need to change.

NAY007

Although I really love the Kerastase Products I'm not willing to spend that much money all the time.

So all my products are from drugtores/sally's except for my St. Ives...I have to order that online since I can't find it nowhere.

And I think it's definitely possible to have healthy and vibrant hair when using only drugstore products.

cutebajangirl

Some of you guys re bringing up the cost issue. I find that drugstore prices are getting up there with salon prices. NTM shampoo standard price is 6.99 where I'm from. Keracare Hydrating Detangling is 4.99 so is this thread about price or availability or concept?

Tai

I tend to stick to what works for me. There's a mixture of salon, BSS, and drugstore products in my staple of products. I try to stick to a budget and not go crazy in terms of money when it comes to buying products.

TrustMeLove

Right now im only using sallys/drugstore/bss products mainly because it seems to be working thus far.

I want to be able to find the right cheaper products and have my hair still bangin. I want to have people in aah have them thinking that im rollin in money to have my hair looking that good. When I come to this point I will feel that im truly a hair/hair product Guru.

I refuse to pay those shipping fee's its ridiculus. I mean its not one flat fee its like depending on how much your products weighs relates directly with the cost of shipping. Nonsense.

I want some shea butter so bad but those stinky shipping fees are stopping me but i think im about to buy some right now.

-Faye

Poohbear

Fearfully Wonderfully Made
[ QUOTE ]
TrustMeLove said:
Right now im only using sallys/drugstore/bss products mainly because it seems to be working thus far.

I want to be able to find the right cheaper products and have my hair still bangin. I want to have people in aah have them thinking that im rollin in money to have my hair looking that good. When I come to this point I will feel that im truly a hair/hair product Guru.

I refuse to pay those shipping fee's its ridiculus. I mean its not one flat fee its like depending on how much your products weighs relates directly with the cost of shipping. Nonsense.

I want some shea butter so bad but those stinky shipping fees are stopping me but i think im about to buy some right now.

-Faye

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree. Beauty supply stores in my area have shea butter though.