Dry Flat Ironed Hair

SmilingElephant

Ok...can somebody help me find a way to make my hair softer after i flat iron?

I flat ironed the other day and the results came out just right...but my hair feels dry and hard.:ohwell::look:

Its strong and healthy...no breakage or anything...it swings and all...but its hard....i've been moisturizing like crazy and i use Silken child..but its not really working.:perplexed

clever

Have you tried moisturizing your hair before flat ironing?I didn't find the silken child moisturizing enough for my nieces hair either so you may need a better leave in.

KnottyGurl

Do you deep condition it before you flat iron? Do you use heat protectants/serums?

I flat ironed the other day and the results came out just right...but my hair feels dry and hard.:ohwell::look:

Its strong and healthy...no breakage or anything...it swings and all...but its hard....i've been moisturizing like crazy and i use Silken child..but its not really working.:perplexed

SmilingElephant

Yes....i always use leave ins.
I only flat iron my hair on occasions now....so i always do it after i deep condition (occasionally tho).

I clarified that day....and then i deep conditioned with proclaim and EVCO....with heat for like 15 to 20 minutes.

I rinsed all that out in cold water...i airdried for about 30 minutes til my hair was like 80% dry.

I added my leave in and heat protectant spray and oil, moisturizer and serum. Blew out my roots in sections and then i sprayed some oil sheen as i flat ironed and added moisturizer again.

I'm guessing its the oil sheen...but i'm not sure. I hadn't used oil sheen in a while.

Nola Darling

I super deep condition and use coco oil in my conditioner.

I also use a quarter sized amount of sweet almond oil in my hair before I blow it out. It gives it moisture without weighing it down.

stargazer613

I suggest Chi Silk Infusion......just a little dab on each section before you flat iron, and your hair will feel soft and silky! It's one of the best products I've ever used for flat ironing.

bermudabeauty

I suggest Chi Silk Infusion......just a little dab on each section before you flat iron, and your hair will feel soft and silky! It's one of the best products I've ever used for flat ironing.

Good suggestion. This is what I would do put about a dime size in the palm of my hand and rub Chi Silk infusion all throughout my hair. I for one like my hair to have a lot of bounce when I wear it down. I like it to move when I walk, but I also like my hair to have a healthy shine so that is what I would do. Good luck

fluffylocks

I only flat iron my hair on occasions now....so i always do it after i deep condition (occasionally tho).

I clarified that day....and then i deep conditioned with proclaim and EVCO....with heat for like 15 to 20 minutes.

I rinsed all that out in cold water...i airdried for about 30 minutes til my hair was like 80% dry.

I added my leave in and heat protectant spray and oil, moisturizer and serum. Blew out my roots in sections and then i sprayed some oil sheen as i flat ironed and added moisturizer again.

I'm guessing its the oil sheen...but i'm not sure. I hadn't used oil sheen in a while.

Does the proclaim moisturize your hair good? Because if you clarifed, then DC'd with procalin and its not doing anything for your hair, that could be the reason its not soft as you'd like...

I also think you used too much.

I would use a leavin and heat spray (or one that was both)
Airdry/blow roots
Flatiron with a serum (alot of them have oils in them)

As a finisher after wrapping or pincurling hair at night i would use alittle oilsheen if needed/wanted too, and moisturize the hair, then wrap with the silk scarf

I get great results, but i dont think my hair likes heat at all, im looking for how to keep the hair smooth, silky and moisturized like first day (or couple of hours) done hair :ohwell:

Ericka

I started co-washing twice a week and when I go to blow dry then flat iron my hair it comes out so soft like never before. My ends are still healthy and thick as if I just got my ends trimmed. I aslo baggy my ponytail every night when I co-wash.

Poohbear

Fearfully Wonderfully Made

too much product?

I get soft flat-ironed hair by blowdrying with Chi Silk Infusion on my hair, and then I may apply a dab of hot 6 oil, and then I flat iron. That's it. Nothing else. Less products = softer bouncier hair.

lilsparkle825

the last time i flat ironed was the best my hair has ever felt. this is what i did:

DC w/ kenra mc, 2 hrs no heat
section off, apply giovanni direct
band into 4 ponytails
airdry...i was intending on just wearing it banded
spray with GD/water spritz; seal with shea butter; apply sabino MB
blowdry on medium
get roots with solia
saran wrap under hood dryer

very very soft and shiny moisturized hair.

SmilingElephant

Maybe i did use too much products...now that i think about it.

I wanna try that CHI silk infusion so bad...but it cost so much money!! Perhaps when i get ready to relax i'll work up the nerve to buy a bottle.

Cause thats when i plan to flat iron again.:rolleyes:

Extremus

Can I get some suggestions, since me and OP are on the same page? (don't want to make a seperate thread)

I DC with my fav DC (KeraCare humecto w/ EVOO & SAA)
On wet hair:
I apply a dime size amount of NTM Silk Touch (ends first)
Apply a dime size amount of CHI Silk Infusion (ends first)
*It really doesn't matter what serum or leave-in I use, the results are the same* :ohwell:
Blow-dry on medium-heat/low-speed setting
Flat-iron on medium setting (Maxiglide #4)

still dry hair :wallbash: It swangs and everything but there's no shine and dry esp on the ends.

shtow

I had the same problem for months. The only way I fixed it was to go back to rollersetting.

tiffers

Whisper "bleep boop" to yourself when you're sad.

That was definitely way too much. All you need is a light leave-in, topped with a heat protecting serum. Moisturizer, oil, oil sheen, and more moisturizer is just too much. Make sure you put your leave-in on before you put your serum on, too. Less is always more when it comes to flatironing. When you're done flatironing, if you want some extra shine, you can rub a little bit of shine serum through your hair. Or you can use a little oil, or sheen spray. But use it AFTER you've flatironed.

And when I know I'm going to blowdry and flatiron, I make sure I dc for an hour with heat. I like to get as much moisture in my hair as possible before subjecting it to all of that potential damage. HTH!

tiffers

Whisper "bleep boop" to yourself when you're sad.
Can I get some suggestions, since me and OP are on the same page? (don't want to make a seperate thread)

I DC with my fav DC (KeraCare humecto w/ EVOO & SAA)
On wet hair:
I apply a dime size amount of NTM Silk Touch (ends first)
Apply a dime size amount of CHI Silk Infusion (ends first)
*It really doesn't matter what serum or leave-in I use, the results are the same* :ohwell:
Blow-dry on medium-heat/low-speed setting
Flat-iron on medium setting (Maxiglide #4)

still dry hair :wallbash: It swangs and everything but there's no shine and dry esp on the ends.

Have you ever tried airdrying or rollersetting before flatironing? Those methods help hair to retain more moisture than blowdrying. Do you use the teeth on your Maxi?

Extremus

Have you ever tried airdrying or rollersetting before flatironing? Those methods help hair to retain more moisture than blowdrying. Do you use the teeth on your Maxi?

I've used both with and without teeth, still dry.

I haven't airdried tho. I can't get my roots to detangle if I do air-dry. Maybe that's what I need to work on. thanks tiffers.

GeorginaSparks

I've used both with and without teeth, still dry.

I haven't airdried tho. I can't get my roots to detangle if I do air-dry. Maybe that's what I need to work on. thanks tiffers.

some people swear by chi cilk infusion but it gives me the problem you're having. after applying CSI, it prevents moisture from getting into my hair!!! Even if i moisturize before, it still makes my ends dry.

Irresistible

Aveda Emoliliant or Kemi Oil, or Coconut Oil

Irresistible

some people swear by chi cilk infusion but it gives me the problem you're having. after applying CSI, it prevents moisture from getting into my hair!!! Even if i moisturize before, it still makes my ends dry.

This is good to know

Thats what Aveda Anti Humectant did to my hair, it was the worst feeling

Extremus

Yea, that's what it seems like! I try to put in so many moisturizers...... and nothing helps. :nono: