Moisturizing Flat Ironed Hair

Chaosbutterfly

Transition Over
Hello ladies!!
I was just wondering what you all were using to moisturize your hair after you've flat ironed it.
I flat ironed mine yesterday, and when I was done, it was a little bit dry. I did a search and found that people were using a little bit of coconut oil on their ends after flat ironing, so I used a little coconut oil, wrapped my hair, and kept it moving.
Fast forward to today, when I unwrapped my hair and found a desert sitting atop my head. :nono: It was beyond dry up there...my hair felt brittle, my ends were crunching....it was a hot mess. It looked really silky and straight, but I couldn't handle that dryness, and I didn't know what to do, so I grabbed my Wave Nouveau, Care Free Curl, and Vatika-Castor blend and handled my business.
My hair is currently wrapped up and it feels better, but my roots have reverted and the swing is gone.

How are you guys keeping your flat ironed hair moist, while still maintaining the style? TIA!

Miss AJ

I liked ORS Olive Oil Lotion....it's water based but it never made my hair revert. I just wish it smelled better.

CaliDiamond

I am texlaxed and when I straighten, I find that Qhemet Alma & Olive Heavy cream does the trick. Just use sparingly.

Irresistible

do you use glycerine products frequently?

ithat could be the culprit as glycerine being a humectant pulls moisture from the air to your hair , when not enough moisture it pulls it from your hair

my daughter's hair ended up feeling how you describe , I called it glycerine withdrawl, cause the only thing that fixed it was glycerine , I had to withdrawl her hair litterally

you may choose to steam your hair with the glycerine to make sure its not taking the moisture out of your hair

i chose to give it up totally

shtow

I know yall gona thrash my life but

Lusters Pink Oil Moisturizing Polish

Don't knock it til ya try it! I don't have to worry about my flat ironed hair being dry or weighed down no matter how much or little I use.

C9-11 Isoparaffin , C14-16 Normal Paraffin , Isoeicosane , PPG-14 Butyl Ether , PPG-40 Butyl Ether , Hydroxylated Milk Glycerides , Shea Butter Extract , Jojoba Oil , Castor Oil, , Wheat Germ Oil , Mink Oil , Tocopherol Vitamin E , Safflower Oil , Kola Nut Extract , Eucalyptus Extract , Aloe Extract , Papaya Extract , Matricaria Extract Henna Extract Chamomile , Lemongrass Extract , Hydrocotyl Extract , Ethylhexyl Dimethyl PABA , Fragrance

Yea it has some petros but oh well

Bella_Atl

I spray Keracare Silken Seal Liquid Shine on my hair after I flat iron and comb it through. It feels softer and not heavy. Plus it shines!!

Chaosbutterfly

Transition Over

Don't knock it til ya try it! I don't have to worry about my flat ironed hair being dry or weighed down no matter how much or little I use.

C9-11 Isoparaffin , C14-16 Normal Paraffin , Isoeicosane , PPG-14 Butyl Ether , PPG-40 Butyl Ether , Hydroxylated Milk Glycerides , Shea Butter Extract , Jojoba Oil , Castor Oil, , Wheat Germ Oil , Mink Oil , Tocopherol Vitamin E , Safflower Oil , Kola Nut Extract , Eucalyptus Extract , Aloe Extract , Papaya Extract , Matricaria Extract Henna Extract Chamomile , Lemongrass Extract , Hydrocotyl Extract , Ethylhexyl Dimethyl PABA , Fragrance

:lachen: @ "thrash my life"
And I never thought anyone would be recommending Pink Oil anything around here. But I'm just desperate enough to try it. :drunk:

do you use glycerine products frequently?

ithat could be the culprit as glycerine being a humectant pulls moisture from the air to your hair , when not enough moisture it pulls it from your hair

my daughter's hair ended up feeling how you describe , I called it glycerine withdrawl, cause the only thing that fixed it was glycerine , I had to withdrawl her hair litterally

you may choose to steam your hair with the glycerine to make sure its not taking the moisture out of your hair

i chose to give it up totally

Wow. That's really interesting, because all of my moisturizers have glycerine. I use mostly jherri curl juice on my hair...like Wave Nouveau, S-Curl, Care Free Curl, that kind of stuff. Can you explain more about how this works? And why would steaming my hair with glycerine fix it?
I already know I can't give up my jherri curl juice...nothing else works.

*fabulosity*

I love Karen's Body Beautiful Super Silky. I put less than a dime size on my hand and distribute it through the ends FIRST and then any excess and work it down the shaft. I tried the hair nectar last night and worked as well... not too heavy. Very soft hair... still had swing. I like Shescentit Coco creme leave in too.. (thanks Terri!!!! ).. but haven't used it as much... I got a year's supply of KBB over here... lol.. so I figured better use that.

C@ssandr@

formerly known as "keyawarren"
I use a dab of Evco and Evoo on sections as I flat iron. Evco is an awesome heat protectant.
It also depends on how good your flat iron is.

Irresistible

And I never thought anyone would be recommending Pink Oil anything around here. But I'm just desperate enough to try it. :drunk:

Wow. That's really interesting, because all of my moisturizers have glycerine. I use mostly jherri curl juice on my hair...like Wave Nouveau, S-Curl, Care Free Curl, that kind of stuff. Can you explain more about how this works? And why would steaming my hair with glycerine fix it?
I already know I can't give up my jherri curl juice...nothing else works.
brb I am gonna find the thread-its sooo old

its the only thing that works cause its that withdrawl

trust me you can get away from it, slowly:yep:

but you dont have to either , just have to make sure your getting enough moisture from the air to your hair with that stuff in it or it will suck your hair dry like the desert, like i have never seen witnessed felt before

it really scared me with my daughter when it happened

Chaosbutterfly

Transition Over
I use a dab of Evco and Evoo on sections as I flat iron. Evco is an awesome heat protectant.
It also depends on how good your flat iron is.

Really?! *takes notes*
And it doesn't fry your hair at all or anything? And when you use the dab, do you work it up and down the section, or do you concentrate it on an area?

shtow

Last year some ladies were using it on here. I loved it pre-LHCF and stopped using it for obvious reasons lol But I must say I love it. It really preserves my swang and my hair is moist but not reverting. If you try it, let me know how it works out for you.

If you don't mind weighing your hair down a little Kid Organics Gro Stong Triple Action Therapy was super moisturizing and kept my hair from reverting as well. Only thing is, it is easy to overdue it with this product and it can be heavy.

virtuenow

Are you relaxed or natural??? I prefer hair butters. Coconut oil alone is not strong enuff for my hair- so I mix it with something- & it's perfect. So a combination of mango butter (Elasta qp) & coconut oil together; or shea butter & coconut oil is perfect. Also, pure jojoba oil alone works well.

Side note: I don't know what people mean when they say put the oil on the "ends" of hair. what about the rest of your hair. I don't just put moisturizers on the ends of my hair but ALL of my hair. Otherwise it would be as dry as a desert

Chaosbutterfly

Transition Over
Are you relaxed or natural??? I prefer hair butters. Coconut oil alone is not strong enuff for my hair- so I mix it with something- & it's perfect. So a combination of mango butter (Elasta qp) & coconut oil together; or shea butter & coconut oil is perfect. Also, pure jojoba oil alone works well.

Side note: I don't know what people mean when they say put the oil on the "ends" of hair. what about the rest of your hair. I don't just put moisturizers on the ends of my hair but ALL of my hair. Otherwise it would be as dry as a desert

I'm relaxed. I might try that coconut oil and elasta qp combo though. I have a jar of it sitting on my dresser pretty much doing nothing. :lol:

*Muffin*

I used to use this a long time ago. Despite the "paraffins" it seems to have a lot of good ingredients. And your hair definitely looks great, so I don't think anybody can be mad at you ;).

loveable37

tha happens to me monday i did the whole nine yards put some cococnut oil on my hair damp after it dry it felt kinda stiff so i blowdry to to get it feelin silky wrap it up after i unwrap it (cruchy)so i rewash it 2 days later now its swinging to silky wrap just add some oil sheen afterward

Sapphire_chic

Last time I straightened i used evco on my hair exclusively for the days following concentrating on my ends.
it kept my hair feeling soft, it was absorbed so not greasy and I had very little breakage. Also it kept my hair light and not weighed down.
Ideally i would like to use something water based but i'm too scared of reversion.

Allandra

I make sure my hair is moisturized well before flat ironing or air drying my hair before flat ironing. Once my hair has been flat ironed, I use a little bit of serum each day to keep my hair nice and smooth. I just cross wrap my hair each night and put on my satin scarf. This can last me for 14 days.

ajoyfuljoy

I make sure my hair is moisturized well before flat ironing or air drying my hair before flat ironing. Once my hair has been flat ironed, I use a little bit of serum each day to keep my hair nice and smooth. I just cross wrap my hair each night and put on my satin scarf. This can last me for 14 days.

Allandra, how often did you flat iron through your transition. I am thinking of doing this once a month. Would love to do more but being relaxed has made me afraid of heat.

Allandra

Allandra, how often did you flat iron through your transition. I am thinking of doing this once a month. Would love to do more but being relaxed has made me afraid of heat.
There were many weeks that I didn't flat iron during my transition, but I'll say that I definitely flat ironed more than not. It worked well for me and my hair. When I did flat iron, it would last me 7 to 14 days.

curlcomplexity

formerly qtslim83
I used about a quarter sized amount of ORS Lotion, pin my hair up, and throw on a bonnet. That's all I use because I make sure to pre-poo and deep condition before I flat iron.

LongTimeComing

I went through this exact same thing the other day. My hair laughed at me. And also at the biosilk, coconut oil, and b&b moisturizer. I've given up on flatironing for awhile.

Chaosbutterfly

Transition Over

Thanks for posting those! I never knew that hair could get addicted to glycerin like that. :ohwell: I don't think that is what's happening with my hair, but just in case, I'm going to start weaning it off the juice. It's getting cold and dry outside anyway, so it's for the best. Thanks!!

I used about a quarter sized amount of ORS Lotion, pin my hair up, and throw on a bonnet. That's all I use because I make sure to pre-poo and deep condition before I flat iron.

You know, that's probably part of it. I didn't prepoo that day because I clarified my hair, and then my DC sucked. I used a new one for the first time, and it didn't agree with me. Next time, I'll make sure to pre-poo and use a tried and true DC, or to just DC and co-wash before flatironing. :yep:

I know there are more people out there who flatiron their hair and don't just leave it to be all dry...come...tell me your secrets... :poke:

IDareT'sHair

PJ Rehabilitation Center
For Me:grin::

1) Natural Butters
2) *Light application Argan, EVOO, Avacado Oils to Seal
3) Qhemet Olive Olive Honey Hydrating Balm, Burdock Root Cream
4) Jane Carter Nourishing Cream & Nourish and Shine
5) Phyto 7 & 9

Are Great for keeping my Relaxed Hair Highly Moisturized:lick:

*will be looking into SheScentIt Moisture Mist as recommended by another relaxed head*